OT: Volunteer in Newtown on Christmas Day | The Boneyard

OT: Volunteer in Newtown on Christmas Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have some time open on Christmas Day and have been trying to find some way I can drive to Newtown and help out with some sort of volunteer effort. I've actually had a hard time finding anything.

If any of you know about an opportunity or see a link somewhere, please let me know.

Reaction Score
I called that number in the article. They said they're not taking volunteers right now, but took down my info in case they needed something at a later date. So I'm assuming that's a dead end.

If anyone hears anything or knows anyone, I'm still looking....

Reaction Score
This is a really tough tragedy to get involved from the outside, as bad as we all want do. There's no recovery effort, no clean-up, there's no financial donation that really hits an immediate need (other than making sure everyone gets counseling who needs it, and/or help fund a possible memorial or new school that gets built if they decide to tear down the old one), there are no major medical bills to help families with (at least I don't think so - two adults were shot in the leg, but no reports that they have long recoveries ahead). Really, the families most-severely effected just have to grieve privately.

I donated to the UConn fund, and to an Eastern Connecticut scholarship created in Vicki Soto's memory to help future teachers, but it feels like so little. Just browsing school websites, Western Connecticut also has created a scholarship for music in memory of Ana Marquez-Green (daughter of a jazz musician - Jimmy Green). St. Joseph's (Hartford) has created a scholarship fund in memory of Rachel D'Avino (niece of a women's Boneyarder) to help students studying applied behavior analysis and autism. Some of the families have funds in their child's name to help the families - the Emilie Parker Fund was created to help all the families, and the Noah's Ark of Hope was named for Noah Pozner.

Those are all financial, though. In terms of donating time, it's hard to know what to do - the streets of Newtown will be pretty quiet on Christmas. Everyone will be bunkered down with their families after the church services in the morning.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is a really tough tragedy to get involved from the outside, as bad as we all want do. There's no recovery effort, no clean-up, there's no financial donation that really hits an immediate need (other than making sure everyone gets counseling who needs it, and/or help fund a possible memorial or new school that gets built if they decide to tear down the old one), there are no major medical bills to help families with (at least I don't think so - two adults were shot in the leg, but no reports that they have long recoveries ahead). Really, the families most-severely effected just have to grieve privately.

I donated to the UConn fund, and to an Eastern Connecticut scholarship created in Vicki Soto's memory to help future teachers, but it feels like so little. Just browsing school websites, Western Connecticut also has created a scholarship for music in memory of Ana Marquez-Green (daughter of a jazz musician - Jimmy Green). St. Joseph's (Hartford) has created a scholarship fund in memory of Rachel D'Avino (niece of a women's Boneyarder) to help students studying applied behavior analysis and autism. Some of the families have funds in their child's name to help the families - the Emilie Parker Fund was created to help all the families, and the Noah's Ark of Hope was named for Noah Pozner.

Those are all financial, though. In terms of donating time, it's hard to know what to do - the streets of Newtown will be pretty quiet on Christmas. Everyone will be bunkered down with their families after the church services in the morning.

The feeling to have to be a part of a volunteer effort is noble but like ny states....it's a tough situation that really doesn't call for any volunteers from the outside. No one is homeless. No one is lost in the woods. It's all about support right now.

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is that if someone in Newtown has to work on Christmas and you can take their shift so they can be with their family, but that may be hard to find.

Obviously, this would have to be some sort of low-skilled position for you to be able to handle it.

Reaction Score
2 of my guys work out of our Brookfield location and call on Rand Whitney and others in the area and know many of the people because they are locals too........while in mourning they are also very mad at the national media and their intrusion in many ways!!

I'm sure having outsiders looking to assist and comfort rather than ask questions would be a wonderful thing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom