OT: Vin Scully | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Vin Scully

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Dodgers, like the Lakers brought their name with them when they moved west. The nick name "Dodger" has no relevance here in Los Angeles, but it did in Brooklyn. Just as "Lakers" also has no relevance here in Los Angeles, but it does in Minnesota (the land of 10,000 lakes), where they originally came from (Minneapolis). As Paul Harvey use to say: "And now you know the rest of the story"....Good day. :)
When my son was young, I explained to him about the Lakers. He didn't know the history, but had been to L.A. a few times. I asked him where were the lakes around L.A., which clarified things for him. The term "L.A. Lakers" has nice alliteration, but it's an amalgam of the current city and the name that made sense for the prior city. The Utah Jazz is a similar example.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
During the NFL Sunday night game (Steelers vs. Chiefs), they showed a replay of a historic Super Bowl pass -- Joe Montana to Dwight Clark -- and guess whose voice was calling it? Yup, Vin Scully.

Al and Chris posed a question: Has anyone ever performed "on top" as long as Scully. Don Rickles was mentioned. I suggest three others:
Victor Borge;
Stephane Grapelli; and,
George Burns.​

Any others?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
During the NFL Sunday night game (Steelers vs. Chiefs), they showed a replay of a historic Super Bowl pass -- Joe Montana to Dwight Clark -- and guess whose voice was calling it? Yup, Vin Scully.

Al and Chris posed a question: Has anyone ever performed "on top" as long as Scully. Don Rickles was mentioned. I suggest three others:
Victor Borge;
Stephane Grapelli; and,
George Burns.​

Any others?

Don't forget about Sammy Davis, Jr (At age 7 Davis played the title role in the film Rufus Jones for President, in which he sang and danced with Ethel Waters, and was still a mega star right up until his death in May 1990), Jack Benny and the incomparable" Bob (thanks for the memories) Hope.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It comes from the neighborhood fans having to "dodge" traffic on our busy streets. Hence "Dodger".

At one point in their history when trolleys were still around, the Brooklyn baseball team was known as the Trolley Dodgers before it got shortened to Dodgers. That was something I knew. What I didn't know was that it was a term that was in use before the baseball team got that name:

Trolley dodger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member