OT - Unsold bowl tickets cost B1G nearly $4.5 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Decent read overall w/ charts:

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/unsold-bowl-tickets-costs-b1g-nearly-45-million-20140516

“The secondary ticket market has changed the way our business works,” Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said. “If a fan knows that he can get a better ticket on the secondary market, obviously it's tempting to go through that process. It's hurting the bowl ticket sales, and it's hurting the university ticket sales.”

But but but everyone always says that UCONN only had 4k fans at the Fiesta Bowl. This article can't possibly be right. :confused:

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
"Our business model of overcharging for tickets is not working well. Good thing my $500k bowl bonus is not effected by ticket sales. It's the fans fault for not supporting the team. By the way, this is why we can not afford to pay a stipend to the student-athletes."

"We promised to pay ourselves huge money with the assumption that our fans would pay ridiculous ticket prices. We are working getting tickets included in students tuition so that it can be covered by student loans & Pell grants. One thing we've learned, is if it is covered by Federal Student Loans we can charge whatever we want."

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Same old stupidity, people just focused on UConn to prove a point that wasn't legit. OU sold 7k tickets that year.

RU did a good job of buying tickets to their bowl through the school, even if it was a stone's throw away.

Reaction Score
Same old stupidity, people just focused on UConn to prove a point that wasn't legit. OU sold 7k tickets that year.

RU did a good job of buying tickets to their bowl through the school, even if it was a stone's throw away.

I don't know how it works for UCONN but for Rutgers how they do it is that season ticket holders get extra 'priority points' for tickets and parking the following year for buying bowl game tickets. It's why we usually send a good amount through the school's ticket office.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't know how it works for UCONN but for Rutgers how they do it is that season ticket holders get extra 'priority points' for tickets and parking the following year for buying bowl game tickets. It's why we usually send a good amount through the school's ticket office.
That is the right way to go. UConn needs to utilize events like this to allow folks to accumulate extra priority points. Points for tickets and additional points for purchasing the travel package.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think UConn needs to embrace and extend it's top of the Rent concept. Make the higher seats affordable to keep the place full. Right now that is more important than per seat revenue. Ironically, it will likely maximize revenue down the road by increasing demand.
As long as were on this topic, more student seating around the court at Gampel is smart as well. Increasingly, it seems TV revenue is more important than event revenue. Putting students around the court makes the game a better TV product. The fact that it makes our home court a tougher place to play is just a bonus.

Reaction Score
I think UConn needs to embrace and extend it's top of the Rent concept. Make the higher seats affordable to keep the place full. Right now that is more important than per seat revenue. Ironically, it will likely maximize revenue down the road by increasing demand.
As long as were on this topic, more student seating around the court at Gampel is smart as well. Increasingly, it seems TV revenue is more important than event revenue. Putting students around the court makes the game a better TV product. The fact that it makes our home court a tougher place to play is just a bonus.
That will always be what should happen but never will. If nothing else, bring the top half of the other side to court level. What's the point of sticking a whole section of students up there?

Reaction Score
I guess schools need to to get more competitive in pricing, there are simply not enough stuffy alumni, in stuffy alumni sweaters who are willing to take one for the team and overpay for tickets to marginal to even premier bowl games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That is the right way to go. UConn needs to utilize events like this to allow folks to accumulate extra priority points. Points for tickets and additional points for purchasing the travel package.

I concur. And make it retroactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek