OT: UConn women post nice nice rating | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn women post nice nice rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It may not realistically move the needle, but you can bet your bippy that our prominence in WBB will be oft-mentioned and quoted from the very first press release of the league that takes us. It'll be a token gesture that will help them feel better about equity and all that stuff. Or they'll mention our prominence in women's sports in general - including field hockey's recent titles and our history in women's soccer as well (plus women's XC has been pretty good lately).

Nothing positive hurts. We'd be better off with 100,000 fans seeing our top 20 football team and women's sports that stink, but the first part isn't happening as an AAC member so we need to have other things to put in our power point presentation.

Reaction Score
You mean because the funded the evisceration of the best basketball conference ever to support their 'house band' and left us to wither and die on the vine threaten our entire athletics program, while costing Connecticut taxpayers millions? I mean why would anyone hold a grudge about that?

ESPN doesn't hate us, they just don't give a crap whether we live or die. After taking so much Connecticut taxpayer money that's kind of a bitter pill to swallow.

Connecticut subsidizes ESPN -> ESPN then subsidizes ACC-> the ACC uses that subisidy to pick off our conference mates leaving us in the festering stink hole of a conference...but hey they'll put us on TV when it makes them money, so we're even right? Not by a long shot.

I guess that would put ESPN in the same category as the UN.

Reaction Score
You don't see the women posting big ratings as being a positive for conference realignment and, therefore, important to mens basketball?

the womens basketball program has been good for years, but where are we now? It has to do with football plain and simple. we can't just be hoping against hope that the lesser programs excelling to expect us to escape this woeful conference. Diaco has got to start making his predictions come to fruition if we are to hope of advancing to a meaningful conference, He did say he expects to win now!!!! Hope he is right, but not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
I understand the point you're making. I really do. But WBB should be viewed as no more than an add-on accessory at checkout...AFTER you have made your purchase. Research/academics, football success and support, DMA presence and ratings in the top 2 revenue sports, and men's hoops will be the top criteria used to evaluate UCONN's value to a P5 conference. WBB has been and will continue to be viewed as nothing more than accessory to the previously mentioned, and more heavily weighted, criteria.

Want proof? UCONN's WBB has been the most dominant collegiate program in the past 20 years of, perhaps, ANY collegiate program has been in the history of the NCAA (only competitor: UCLA hoops in the Wooden era) and yet we are still sitting on the sidelines. The sport just doesn't generate the same kind of national interest and, more importantly, money that football does. We need to devote as much resources as possible into improving football.

I personally believe that Mr Emmert is spending a lot of time in his giggle room enjoying every minute of the position we are in.

Reaction Score
I just mention it as an indicator of a strong athletic department with a strong following.

I suppose you could use it as an example. Like, if UConn can generate this much excitement over women's basketball, imagine how large and amped the fan base would be if Ohio State and Michigan State were coming to town. It would be off the hook.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
the womens basketball program has been good for years, but where are we now? It has to do with football plain and simple. we can't just be hoping against hope that the lesser programs excelling to expect us to escape this woeful conference. Diaco has got to start making his predictions come to fruition if we are to hope of advancing to a meaningful conference, He did say he expects to win now!!!! Hope he is right, but not holding my breath.
again, I agree and completely understand. My point was that the women bringing large number of eyeballs to the television sets can only be considered a positive by the BTN. It may rank #125 on the list but im glad its a positive.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="
If WBB had anything to do CR, don't you think we'd already be in a P5 conference by now? I'd rather put ALL of our arrows in those 4 quivers than anywhere else, right now. Then after we get our invite, we can redistribute where needed.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't you make the same statement about MCBB? The men's team dominated over the same 15 to 20 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="
If WBB had anything to do CR, don't you think we'd already be in a P5 conference by now? I'd rather put ALL of our arrows in those 4 quivers than anywhere else, right now. Then after we get our invite, we can redistribute where needed.

Couldn't you make the same statement about MCBB? The men's team dominated over the same 15 to 20 years.[/QUOTE]
It's applicable to either in our case.

Reaction Score
Just remember AZ's First law of UConn's football attractiveness for future CR
With one caveat
That being the football team actually must show a life. Which that hasn't done in 4 years.
"The perception of UConn's football is directly proportional to the success of its basketball teams."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom