OT: UConn talks to Pac-12 for FB only membership | The Boneyard

OT: UConn talks to Pac-12 for FB only membership

Reaction Score
This conference musical chairs going on is getting crazy. The only way I can see any logic here is that the new Pac whatever might be a step up for the Uconn football program, and a decent addition for them, but it would be a big step down for the basketball program even compared to the Big East.

The Mountain West originally hoped to upgrade their conference with the leftovers from the Pac 12. But of course the opposite has happened with the Pac 12 raiding the Mountain West, and now both conferences are in a very uncertain state of flux, with many thinking the ACC teams might be in play as well.

I hope when the dust settles the Uconn basketball program winds up in a better place, but in the new environment of NIL money even great conferences can fall apart overnight, and if you aren't at least exploring better opportunities, the security and safety in your own conference can be pulled out from under you in a heartbeat IMO.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I am watching this excitedly, but I don’t think we will hear anything for quite a while. The MWC is suing the PAC, membership is in flux and there really doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. I think UConn will be very cautious committing to anything until the problems are ironed out. Until then we should be very quiet so we don’t end up looking foolish. Also, any action on us going to the PAC would surely result in more talk with the B12 and ACC, even if those talks resulted in nothing. All of this will take time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Report: UConn in talks with Pac-12 about joining new-look conference

UConn has had talks with the Pac-12 about joining the conference as a football-only member, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Ross Dellenger.

From Dom Amore @ Courant:

Worth finding a way to read full article:

-> The new Pac-12 couldn’t lure an AAC team because it has no idea what kind of TV deal it will be able to make. UConn’s brand, even if it’s football-only, could help with that. For the short term, UConn would get less football money than it would from a power conference, sure, but presumably much more than it is getting now as an independent.

The Pac-12 apparently was talking about inviting UConn in all sports. Okay, slam on the brakes there; that can’t happen, from UConn’s point of view. But if it gets Gonzaga, which does not have football, and UConn as a complement, the new league fits together like the jagged pieces of a puzzle.

Without taking a straw poll, I would guess that if UConn were to join this new venture, fans here would be very happy across the board. The football fans would have a conference. The basketball fans would still have the Big East. And those who worry about the financials could remain hopeful that a lucrative power conference move is still possible down the road. <-

Reaction Score
These posts must have been moved from another board. The mod should add "Moved" to the title. Just a suggestion.

Reaction Score
I am stunned, literally stunned there is not 17 pages on this board already about this topic.
There is like 22 the last 10 of which discuss this very issue. I think the summary is a football only move would be positive for many reasons. All sports not so much.
there you go. Now you don’t need to read all 22 pages.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
Remember the PC 12-2 best offer was $21,000.000 from Apple TV
i like OSU and WSU
but they were bottom tier schools in that conference
The MW has some nice teams but they‘re a spread out version of the AAC who get less money because of markets .
If a bottom team in the AAC like UTSA rejects you why would UConn be interested in a conference that the equivalent of a US tour.
My suggestion is to put basketball on the open market and see what happens and let football grow as an indy until the league we’re in is ready for full acceptance .
Once you‘re in even partially , full acceptance is easier in fact that’s how we got the BCS opportunity to begin with.

Reaction Score
i like OSU and WSU
The MW has some nice teams but they‘re a spread out version of the AAC who get less money because of markets .
If a bottom team in the AAC like UTSA rejects you why would UConn be interested in a conference that the equivalent of a US tour.
My suggestion is to put basketball on the open market and see what happens and let football grow as an indy until the league we’re in is ready for full acceptance .
Once you‘re in even partially , full acceptance is easier in fact that’s how we got the BCS opportunity to begin with.
That's crazy.

They need a conference. It isn't permanent. But, it take sorssure off football and athletic department.

Unless, we all agree, everyone in state, that the department can run $40m structural deficits (they plan for that amount) every year.

Reaction Score
This conference musical chairs going on is getting crazy. The only way I can see any logic here is that the new Pac whatever might be a step up for the Uconn football program, and a decent addition for them, but it would be a big step down for the basketball program even compared to the Big East.

The Mountain West originally hoped to upgrade their conference with the leftovers from the Pac 12. But of course the opposite has happened with the Pac 12 raiding the Mountain West, and now both conferences are in a very uncertain state of flux, with many thinking the ACC teams might be in play as well.

I hope when the dust settles the Uconn basketball program winds up in a better place, but in the new environment of NIL money even great conferences can fall apart overnight, and if you aren't at least exploring better opportunities, the security and safety in your own conference can be pulled out from under you in a heartbeat IMO.
The ACC teams are not going to the PAC. It looks like the ACC and FSU/Clemson will settle on a new revenue structure. Additional revenue will be needed. This could lead to Utah and other teams joining the ACC to build the ACCN revenues.

At the end of the day, in 5-6 years if the B1G and the SEC decide to expand to 24 teams each, it will be at the expense of the ACC and the B12.
UNC, NC St, UVA, VT, Clemson, GT, FSU & Miami could all end up in the SEC. ND, Stanford, Utah, BCU, SU and SMU could all end up in the B1G. Duke, Wake, Pitt, Louisville & Cal could all end up in the B12 giving them 20 teams. Depending on TV revenue the B12 could look to add 4 teams. UConn, SDSU, OSU and WSU

Reaction Score
i like OSU and WSU
Kinda like we did to get where we are now? ‍♂️

Reaction Score
The ACC teams are not going to the PAC. It looks like the ACC and FSU/Clemson will settle on a new revenue structure. Additional revenue will be needed. This could lead to Utah and other teams joining the ACC to build the ACCN revenues.

At the end of the day, in 5-6 years if the B1G and the SEC decide to expand to 24 teams each, it will be at the expense of the ACC and the B12.
UNC, NC St, UVA, VT, Clemson, GT, FSU & Miami could all end up in the SEC. ND, Stanford, Utah, BCU, SU and SMU could all end up in the B1G. Duke, Wake, Pitt, Louisville & Cal could all end up in the B12 giving them 20 teams. Depending on TV revenue the B12 could look to add 4 teams. UConn, SDSU, OSU and WSU

FSU and Clemson are insisting the GOR be cut back to 2030 in this arrangement, which is also the same year the B1G media contract ends. An FSU/Clemson vs. ACC settlement is not the end of the ACC realignment drama. It just hits the pause button for a few years. And if the GOR ends in 2030, that means moves to other conferences could be announced in 2027 or 2028 as UT and OU announced 3 years ahead of time and USC/UCLA announced 2 years ahead of time. So in the grand scheme of things, big announcements are still going to pan out in the not too distant future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom