OT -- UConn Bar in Boston??? | The Boneyard

OT -- UConn Bar in Boston???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
hey guys,

I'm going to be graduating this year and it looks like I'll be moving to Boston. Are any of yall from the area/do you know of any pro-UConn bars around here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Just moved back from Boston... I know during the tourney they held Uconn gatherings at the Greatest Bar, right outside of the Garden.... I found myself most of the time being the single UCONN fan at bars but lots of people come up to you and give their respect haha

Reaction Score
I watched the championship game at the Cask and Flagon, which was all UConn fans at the time.

Also, which school? It's a big town, so that might change where you want to go.

Reaction Score
Join the facebook alumni group. They have game watch events posted there. There are 4 set up at the Greatest Bar already. I try to go to as many as I can. For the NC there was 400+ people there and many were turned away. Other bars that they've had events in the past are Bleecher Bar and Cask'n Flagon both by Fenway Park.

Reaction Score
Plenty of UCONN fans watching bball down town. Just moved out to the burbs last year, but prior had a good eight year run in the south end. Cask, champs, ABG, bleacher... They'll be blue out don't worry...

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
It seems like the official UConn bar is now the Greatest Bar. It might not be my favorite place, but it does have the biggest screen in Boston at 14'. The game watches there last year were a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
I might have to make it to the greatest bar once this season, went to cask and flagon for the MSU tourney game last year, uconn fans wall to wall, a really fun environment to be right next to Fenway yet at a bar flooded with UConn gear.

For the national championship I just went to a dive I think in Somerville and the majority of the groups there were there to watch and root for UConn, one Kentucky fan at the bar.

So as long as theres no Boston teams playing, Cask and Flagon is legit, if its a huge game in the tourney you can go almost anywhere and find some like-minded individuals

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I might have to make it to the greatest bar once this season, went to cask and flagon for the MSU tourney game last year, uconn fans wall to wall, a really fun environment to be right next to Fenway yet at a bar flooded with UConn gear.

The game watches at Cask for ISU and MSU were great, but then they were not able to host us for the Final 4 because the Red Sox season had started. Now it looks like the Alumni Association has set up all the game watches this year for Greatest Bar.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing but I was in Denver in September 2013 for a Red Sox game at Coors Field. My wife and I arrived on Monday and went to a bar for the Broncos-Raiders game that night (Wanted to go to the game, but tickets were upwards of $300 on Stubhub). Anyway, besides the Broncos, Rockies, Avalanche, and Nuggets memorabilia on the wall, the bar was dressed in so much Scarlett and Gray, I thought I was in Columbus, Ohio. I asked the bartender what gives considering Boulder (CU) and Colorado Springs (USAFA) were about a 1/2 hour away. He said that an OSU alumni booster group pays a fee to host game viewing parties there. He pointed out about 7 bars in the area that hosted Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, USC, etc.

Does the Alumni Association, Boston Chapter compensate The Greatest Bar or do they just take it over?

Reaction Score
I used to go to the Stadium in Southie. There were always a few UConn fans there.

Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing but I was in Denver in September 2013 for a Red Sox game at Coors Field. My wife and I arrived on Monday and went to a bar for the Broncos-Raiders game that night (Wanted to go to the game, but tickets were upwards of $300 on Stubhub). Anyway, besides the Broncos, Rockies, Avalanche, and Nuggets memorabilia on the wall, the bar was dressed in so much Scarlett and Gray, I thought I was in Columbus, Ohio. I asked the bartender what gives considering Boulder (CU) and Colorado Springs (USAFA) were about a 1/2 hour away. He said that an OSU alumni booster group pays a fee to host game viewing parties there. He pointed out about 7 bars in the area that hosted Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, USC, etc.

Does the Alumni Association, Boston Chapter compensate The Greatest Bar or do they just take it over?

I'm not sure of the logisitcs, but at some events the bar provides food and they put Uconn decorations up. I would think the bar would do that based on increased clientele but I'm sure there is some arrangement. It's definitely organized and not impromptu. Its not permanent decorations like you're talking though. I wish there was a more dedicated place, but as you can tell from this thread it's not centralized enough. I hear from friends about WV and the Bills having exclusive Boston bars. For the playoffs, everyone came out though and it was amazing.

Reaction Score
Greatest and Cask are the two main ones now. Jacob Wirth use to be, not sure it still is.

I am too much of a psychopath to watch big UConn games in public, so I stay away from them 95% of the time, but they are fine.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably land in the Fenway area so it's good to know that the Cask 'n Flagon is somewhat of a UConn bar.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably land in the Fenway area so it's good to know that the Cask 'n Flagon is somewhat of a UConn bar.
If it's during Sox season, don't bother with Cask unless they're on an off day.

Reaction Score
If it's during Sox season, don't bother with Cask unless they're on an off day.
There's very little overlap between baseball season and college basketball season, and it's all late in the tournament. I left a Sox game early to go to the Cask to watch the championship, and it looked more like a UConn bar than a Red Sox bar. The Sox game was still on, but more TVs were on the basketball game, as was the audio.

Reaction Score

It's a small city, hop the green line to north station and join the alumni at Greatest Bar. I'll buy you a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom