OT: UConn Athletic Dept costs UConn womens soccer big win | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Athletic Dept costs UConn womens soccer big win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I assume members of the UConn athletic department have access to weather forecasts. The forecast said we were going to have a passing thunderstorm this evening around 8pm. So why not move the game which started at 7pm, up an hour?

The game was called due to lighting after playing 56+ mins with UConn leading #6 UCLA 3-2. It had to pass 70 mins to become an official result. If the game started 15 mins earlier, UConn wins. 5 goals and a potentially huge win completely wiped out for 15 mins. The UConn womens soccer program has really fallen by the way side in recent years and this could have been a huge shot in the arm to get things going on. What a waste. Didn't have to happen that way with a little bit of pro active thinking from the folks in Storrs.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Any idea what the process of schedule shifting is? When was the time specific forecast given and by whom?

Reaction Score
I dunno - that's asking a lot. A "passing thunderstorm" forecast is unpredictable and subject to change as a day progresses. People who bought tickets in advance would be annoyed to show up at halftime, especially if it ended up never raining. The teams like to plan their pregame meals and walkthroughs knowing when the game will start. Referees and stadium personnel are planning for a 7 pm kickoff - some of whom are probably coming from their 9-5 jobs. It isn't as simple as, "hey gang, let's play at 6".

And there's certainly no guarantee UConn wins the game if it is played to it's entirety. Not like it was 3-0 when it was called.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer