OT: UCLA/Alabama- Bill Walton | The Boneyard

OT: UCLA/Alabama- Bill Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody watching this game right now? Bill Walton is doing the color commentary and he is using this game as his soapbox. Going off on Ben Howland, and every time the play-by-play guy tries to gear the commentary elsewhere, Walton continues to talk about Howland and how he ruined the program. It's kind of awkward.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
I watched Mizzou at UCLA last season (to see AO) and Walton was doing the commentary. It was honestly awful.

Reaction Score
petty and unecessary imo, all last season during UCLA games he lobbied for Howland's firing, he got what he wanted and its time for him to move on.

Reaction Score
I have always liked Walton. But tonight he is over the top. He has made himself -- and his overt anger at Howland -- the central theme of the game.

Plus the endless sarcasm has become painful. I'd prefer the simplicity of Dickie V -- and I never thought I would say that.

Reaction Score
UCLA has no fan base. That's their biggest problem and it's why they'll never be in the same category as the other five blue bloods despite arguably having the most on court success.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He was in his element on New Year's:

1521553_694449590588226_856820284_n.jpg

Yet still pretty awkward:

Remarkably, he spends a lot of the rest of the set in the front row, as does some other dope with an enormous costume head. Between the two of them they blocked a lot of views in a small room.

Reaction Score
Anybody watching this game right now? Bill Walton is doing the color commentary and he is using this game as his soapbox. Going off on Ben Howland, and every time the play-by-play guy tries to gear the commentary elsewhere, Walton continues to talk about Howland and how he ruined the program. It's kind of awkward.
Bill Walton and Lou Holtz are the only two announcers that sound stoned with every breath!

Reaction Score
Him and knight are the two worst announcers out there, both make my ears bleed

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
sounds like he would hate having Jim Calhoun as a coach, sounds like he's more into "show time"

Yo Bill, there's a reason for East Coast bias, the West Coast never wins a NC because they don't play defense. Howland tried to bring BE physicality and discipline to the west, they evidently didn't like it

Reaction Score
sounds like he would hate having Jim Calhoun as a coach, sounds like he's more into "show time"

Yo Bill, there's a reason for East Coast bias, the West Coast never wins a NC because they don't play defense. Howland tried to bring BE physicality and discipline to the west, they evidently didn't like it

Oy vey. How silly. You don't know much about UCLA. Howland didn't get fired because he tried to bring Big East "physicality and discipline to the west" and Bill Walton certainly didn't poison Ben Howland's rep in Westwood, He did that himself by alienating the administration, his players, boosters, fans, and local coaches who would otherwise send him players. Not an easy feat.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Oy vey. How silly. You don't know much about UCLA. Howland didn't get fired because he tried to bring Big East "physicality and discipline to the west" and Bill Walton certainly didn't poison Ben Howland's rep in Westwood, He did that himself by alienating the administration, his players, boosters, fans, and local coaches who would otherwise send him players. Not an easy feat.

well now, his quote were all about players not looking to the sidelines and now playing beautiful basketball, up and down basketball and having fun

I guess those words can mean what you just said, I think you're lost in some dense fog

dude thinks he's efin brilliant too, thinks he knows stuff, problem is he can't read, damn "silly" man

Reaction Score
well now, his quote were all about players not looking to the sidelines and now playing beautiful basketball, up and down basketball and having fun

I guess those words can mean what you just said, I think you're lost in some dense fog

dude thinks he's efin brilliant too, thinks he knows stuff, problem is he can't read, damn "silly" man

No, I just know a little bit about the UCLA program.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I've got some great Bill Walton stories I have to tell when I have a spare hour to type them out. I've partied with him many times. Mostly at Grateful Dead concerts in the 80s but once at the 2004 FF in San Antonio where he remembered me and we shut down a hotel bar after the duke/uconn game.

A short funny appetizer story here:
When bill was with the celtics he was still catching every dead show he could on east coast. I was on my way to a Hartford dead show. See a guy hitchikimg on I84 and it was Walton. Freakin' hitchiking. We of course picked him up. A strange but absolutely wonderful guy and so tall, ( players never look that tall on the court. But in real life situations, man, just a giant.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom