OT - Trying to do some good this March Madness | The Boneyard

OT - Trying to do some good this March Madness

Reaction Score
First off, if this is against BY rules or inappropriate at all to post, mods feel free to delete. I am mostly a lurker here - I am a UConn graduate (class of 09) and March Madness is my favorite time of the year. Last May, my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and unfortunately lost his battle in October. UConn's 14-0 start to the season was the first time I was able to feel somewhat normal again since his diagnosis.

With that being said, my family, some friends and I are doing PanCan's Purple Stride walk to end pancreatic cancer on April 29. While only 3% of all cancer diagnoses are the pancreas, it is top 3 in mortality rate - less than half of all people diagnosed survive 12 months past diagnosis, and only 12% make it to 5 years. To make matters even harder, it is usually a very aggressive form of cancer, and surgery is the only way to become cancer free, but by the time most people show symptoms, it is already too late to perform surgery.

I usually take off work, set up 4 tvs, and watch all the Thursday/Friday games with some friends and my dad. I wanted to try to tie in something March Madness related to raise some money for our walk, and came up with the idea of donating 10% of all points UConn scores in the NCAA tournament to the walk (ex: they score 250 points, donate $25). If anyone would like to join me doing this, I attached the donation link down below. I am trying to reach as many people as possible, so if you know anyone else that would want to join in, please feel free to share the link. Any fans of other colleges you may know can do it with their own teams, or join our bandwagon for this season. I thank anyone who passes this message along. GO HUSKIES!

- Nick

PurpleStride donation link

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom