OT: Triple Yikes....Tiger to be DQ'ed? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Triple Yikes....Tiger to be DQ'ed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
My problem with situations like this is allowing casual tv viewers to call in and report something they believe is an infraction. I have been to the Masters several times and there are rules officials on every hole. And I have to believe there are other officials monitoring the broadcast. If those individuals as well as the player's playing partners didn't see anything, is it fair for some guy in East Oshkosh to just call in and make a report?

The other problem I have is that players like Woods, McIroy and Mickelson often are on camera for their entire round whereas the vast majority of the field never appear on camera.

I wonder if the caller was a Boneyarder.:confused:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My problem with situations like this is allowing casual tv viewers to call in and report something they believe is an infraction. I have been to the Masters several times and there are rules officials on every hole. And I have to believe there are other officials monitoring the broadcast. If those individuals as well as the player's playing partners didn't see anything, is it fair for some guy in East Oshkosh to just call in and make a report?

The other problem I have is that players like Woods, McIroy and Mickelson often are on camera for their entire round whereas the vast majority of the field never appear on camera.

Pap - I'll agree with your second point, and the first point certainly has many supporters. But golf is one of the few sports where the players are expected to police themselves. A rule is a rule and if a golfer is made aware that he broke a rule, inadvertantly or not, however it was discovered, the golfer is obliged to call it.

Doesd anyone here believe that Woods did not know the rule?

Reaction Score
sound good tweets out there:

Christine Brennan: When did golf become figure skating or gymnastics? What an embarrassment this is for the #Masters and the game of golf. #Masterisk

Ann Killion: Augusta officials 12 hours to figure out Tiger violated a rule. Talk about slow play.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
VT - In my response I deliberately avoided this specific incident but my take is there can only be two possible explanations for what went down. Either: (1) Woods did not, in fact, know the exact letter of the rule in question; or (2) he deliberately attempted to skirt the rule by moving back two yards. Only Tiger knows in his heart which one is the correct answer.

I still think it is wrong for 30+ million viewers to be adjunct tournament officials. I wish I could call ESPN or the NCAA every time I spot someone traveling in a basketball game and expect a full and immediate video review. :)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wish I could call ESPN or the NCAA every time I spot someone traveling in a basketball game and expect a full and immediate video review. :)

I think this would be a great idea! Just think how much better fans would be a reffing. We could have a volume-trigger, like on the stock market. Technology is so fast, every time a certain percentage of the registered folks hit a button, boom, the whistle would blow and on-site zebras would review. If you were wrong twice, you'd be put in a no-whistle box for 4 minutes.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
VT - In my response I deliberately avoided this specific incident but my take is there can only be two possible explanations for what went down. Either: (1) Woods did not, in fact, know the exact letter of the rule in question; or (2) he deliberately attempted to skirt the rule by moving back two yards. Only Tiger knows in his heart which one is the correct answer.

I still think it is wrong for 30+ million viewers to be adjunct tournament officials. I wish I could call ESPN or the NCAA every time I spot someone traveling in a basketball game and expect a full and immediate video review. :)

Unlike golf, officials are right there in most sports. They may be wrong, but they are present. The fix for golf might be to have a rules official with each group.

I agree that the fan has no business being involved in the play.

Reaction Score
People still have the situation wrong.

Tiger dropped his ball.
Someone phoned in, claiming he had done it incorrectly.
The officials had watched tape, while Tiger was still playing, and decided he had not, broken a rule.
Tiger signed his scorecard.
Tiger than gave interviews, including what had happened on hole 15.
The officials revisited the situation, upon hearing Tiger's interview.
Tiger gets assessed the 2 stroke violation because of what he had said.

Therefore, no..Tiger didn't do it intentionally. Because if he had, he would have been smart enough to keep his mouth shut. And to me, the idea that he got a benefit out of this because he's Tiger is silly. It's never even brought up if he's not Tiger.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...IMHO for all intensive purpose his chance of winning...
Intents and purpose...
Intents and purposes
DD, your promotion to lieutenant is being postponed...
Some good tweets out there:

Christine Brennan: When did grammar correction become horseshoes or hand grenades? What an embarrassment this is for the #Boneyard and the science of posting.

Ann Killion: Boneyard Language Police 7 hours to figure out Wbbfan1 violated a rule. Talk about slow play.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
People still have the situation wrong.

Tiger dropped his ball.

Start there: Was it "as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
ThisJustin the answer to the question is no. And Tiger said that his intent was to drop it definitely farther back from the stick so he would have a clubbing margin. That is an astounding statement to make, because he had to know that he was violating the rule by deliberately seeking a different lie than that of the prior shot.

Glad he was not DQed, but it is illogical.

His game is off today and I suspect yesterday's incident and ensuing discussions unsettled him.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Start there: Was it "as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played"

To add to what RMBlue posted - Unlike many of the rules of golf, this rule is simple and clear. Anyone that plays golf by the rules knows this rule because it comes into play so often. I have to believe that both Woods and his caddy were aware of the rule.

I differ with RMBlue in that I think he should have been disqualified. I suspect that if it had been Joe Schmuck that got caught, the ruling by the committee would have been different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom