OT: triple yikes...Augusta National will have.... | The Boneyard

OT: triple yikes...Augusta National will have....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good for the club and the new members. It's about time.

Condi has a very nice resume, though I agree with the view that she was a very poor National Security Advisor and Secretary of State.

Reaction Score
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/augusta-national-announces-inclusion-of-women/

2 women as members next year.

I now assume that all those who are against discrimination of all kinds will turn their attention to insitutions/clubs such as Smith College and the athletic facility Curves?

If I were a member of Augusta, I would have lobbied for this for years....I think the club will be better for it...I especially like Condi as a member.

The last holdout must've died...I think I hear hear him getting chewed out at the Pearly Gates now...! ;)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/augusta-national-announces-inclusion-of-women/

I now assume that all those who are against discrimination of all kinds will turn their attention to insitutions/clubs such as Smith College and the athletic facility Curves?

If I were a member of Augusta, I would have lobbied for this for years....I think the club will be better for it...I especially like Condi as a member.

I second that - she has been passionate about sports and athletics her whole life, is obviously a 'mover and shaker' in the big leagues of politics and academia, and was recently appointed (per the article) to a USGA committee. Outstanding choice. Don't know anything about Ms. Moore aside from the info in the article, but she sounds like a good choice as well.

The times they are a changin'! Glad to see these invites go out.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
With zero certainty on this: I kinda think this would have happened a few years ago if Martha Burk had not done her thing
in such a public fashion. IMO....she delayed rather than motivated the change.

Reaction Score
Rick Reilly tweeted:

"Augusta finally has African-American members and women members. Next up: a Democrat?"

LOL

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I now assume that all those who are against discrimination of all kinds will turn their attention to institutions/clubs such as Smith College and the athletic facility Curves?

I guess I will be resigning then. :cool:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Now will see the same Media Attention on the Women's Only Organizations that don't allow Males to Join? Of Course not!!!!!!

Reaction Score
With zero certainty on this: I kinda think this would have happened a few years ago if Martha Burk had not done her thing

Agree 100%. I think that is very certain.

Reaction Score
Rick Reilly tweeted:

"Augusta finally has African-American members and women members. Next up: a Democrat?"

LOL

I assume Reilly was reaching for humor instead of accuracy, since Augusta has had a number of Democrats as members.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

And now she's taking credit "WE WON!" she said in an interview.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And now she's taking credit "WE WON!" she said in an interview.
Who's "we"? I get the symbolism, I suppose, but women in general are not going to be able to flock to Augusta National and become members.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
This country's going to hell?
What's next, letting women vote?
It's bad enough we let them drive!

Reaction Score
Who's "we"? I get the symbolism, I suppose, but women in general are not going to be able to flock to Augusta National and become members.

A barrier has broken. Of course it's a win.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A barrier has broken. Of course it's a win.

It may indeed be looked at as a win. The point was that Martha Burk claimed it as if it was a result of her efforts. I wonder if she'll next lead the charge against all those exclusive women's clubs and organizations - not all of them private.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Many people don't understand that that there is an important reason that this golf club is officially the Augusta NATIONAL. The charter or earliest members were resolved that this club would not be a bunch of local good ole boys, so they established a policy of nationwide membership that they cling to.

If, for example, a member from, say, Oregon died, you can bet that a replacement would be recruited/invited from a northwest state.

And, by the way, membership is by invitation, not application.

Reaction Score
Many people don't understand that that there is an important reason that this golf club is officially the Augusta NATIONAL. The charter or earliest members were resolved that this club would not be a bunch of local good ole boys, so they established a policy of nationwide membership that they cling to.

If, for example, a member from, say, Oregon died, you can bet that a replacement would be recruited/invited from a northwest state.

Ok so it was a bunch of national good ole boys.

#DistinctionWithoutMuchDifference

Reaction Score

And, by the way, membership is by invitation, not application.

and they get a boat load of $ hosting the Master's from TV, media, sponsors, tickets, merchandise, etc. It's more than a club, imho.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There are always those who will argue that social ills, discrimination, and injustice just magically can end without activists and fighters for justice paving the way. Women's suffrage? Why if those horrible suffragettes had not been out in the streets causing a ruckus, it would have happened way back in 1905. Jim Crow and segregation? Why if those marchers down in Selma had been more respectful, it would all have been done away with a lot sooner. But, of course, because entrenched powers are always happy to jump up and do the right thing as soon as some nice person asks them to.

Fact is, there are just some of those militant, uppity, noisy women like Martha Burk or Selena Roberts with the A-Rod steroid-popping articles and book that we just love to dump on. Oh yeah, Augusta was just falling all over itself to include women years ago, but Burk made them get all hurt and pouty, and that blew the deal Shame on you, Martha.

But glad Augusta finally got persuaded to slowly and tepidly and minimally to enter the new millenium. And for all of you b-tching about not being able to join all those women's-only groups you've been hankering after, if you still have some kick in you and can do a pretty face I'm sure the Rockettes can also be persuaded to do the right thing for you.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
and they get a boat load of $ hosting the Master's from TV, media, sponsors, tickets, merchandise, etc. It's more than a club, imho.

It is exactly what they proclaim it to be, a National Golf Club.

There are several reasons that they make a ton of money hosting the Masters:
  • It is not only one of only four major professional golf tournaments, it is the only one to be played at the same (historic and incredibly beautiful) golf course every year.
  • The frequency, style and length of commercials shown during the Masters remains more tightly controlled than for any comparable sporting event.
  • The Masters is not only run with utmost efficiency but because it is played on the same course annually, such amenities as permanent bleachers, bathroom facilities (no porta-potties!) and concession stands make attending such a delightful experience.
The golf course is closed down in the insufferably hot summer months of July and August, the logic being that gentlemen (and, now, ladies) don't golf in such beastly weather.

All members have one of the distinctive green jackets. They are kept at the club and donned by members when present on the premises -- but never anywhere else.

A big reward for volunteers who work at the Masters is the opportunity to play a round on that course. There is no shortage of volunteers.

I happen to think there is much to admire about this unique golf club. I am not a golfer but even I appreciate what they (members and management) have done for the game of golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom