OT: Transfer Oddity | The Boneyard

OT: Transfer Oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Has anyone else ever heard of an Ivy accepting a JUCO transfer? Bizarre.

Reaction Score

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well not all JuCo players are academic liabilities. Apparently, Wilkinson left the Utah basketball team and enrolled at Salt Lake CC because of playing time.

http://www.standard.net/Sports/2015/01/21/Blake-Wilkinson-Feature

I know he's not the typical JUCO, but it just seems odd that an Ivy would accept anyone's community college transcript. Especially considering how much has been said in the media about their rigorous (by comparison) standards for accepting student-athletes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some Ivy schools, like Harvard and Yale, have so few spots available for transfer students that it's hard no matter where the kid is from....but they accept a handful of JUCO applicants every year.

I would wager that every Ivy accepts junior college kids into their junior ranks yearly - they're looking for brilliant kids and diversity and junior colleges can be a fountain of both.

Lots of reasons why a kid would go to a junior college - we tend to associate it with recruits who don't qualify academically, but for the average JUCO student, I would say that the decision was financial. Everyone I knew who went to junior college did so because they didn't have the money to go to a four-year school right away.

But they ended up at UConn, Rutgers, Binghamton, Lehigh, etc.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
I know he's not the typical JUCO, but it just seems odd that an Ivy would accept anyone's community college transcript. Especially considering how much has been said in the media about their rigorous (by comparison) standards for accepting student-athletes.

At the risk of dragging this into the cesspool, one of Obama's educational initiatives was for some of the top colleges and universities - Ivies, NESCACs, etc, to allow better access for deserving low income students through a variety of means, including pledging to reach out to community colleges and accept a certain number of students from two-year schools.

So if Brown gets a great basketball player out of the deal -- hey, two birds, one stone.

Reaction Score
At the risk of dragging this into the cesspool, one of Obama's educational initiatives was for some of the top colleges and universities - Ivies, NESCACs, etc, to allow better access for deserving low income students through a variety of means, including pledging to reach out to community colleges and accept a certain number of students from two-year schools.

So if Brown gets a great basketball player out of the deal -- hey, two birds, one stone.

I remember, when I was teaching, it was announced that all the state universities were making some deal with some of the CCs (MCC was the one the discussion focused on), and the deal was that, if you got your associates in two years at MCC, you were automatically allowed to transfer to any other state school, including UConn. I had a ton of students who decided they'd go to MCC for peanuts for two years, get their gen eds out of the way, and then transfer to UConn for their real classes.

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
I remember, when I was teaching, it was announced that all the state universities were making some deal with some of the CCs (MCC was the one the discussion focused on), and the deal was that, if you got your associates in two years at MCC, you were automatically allowed to transfer to any other state school, including UConn. I had a ton of students who decided they'd go to MCC for peanuts for two years, get their gen eds out of the way, and then transfer to UConn for their real classes.

Not sure if that still exists. I doubt it as it pertains to UCONN anyway. However, UF and FSU each have similar programs at nearby community colleges and they are very successful. The kids that are thoroughly disappointed that they didn't get in to one of the Florida flagships can take the CC route and as a benefit, socialize and participate in many University activities. In fact, CC students are even eligible for band, cheerleading and other activities at the university. I think it is a great way to grow the school, save kids money and increase school spirit across the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom