OT: Top 10 Lists - A connection or coincidence? | The Boneyard

OT: Top 10 Lists - A connection or coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The top 10 most depressing states, according to Health.com (in alpha order):

Arkansas
Indiana
Kentucky
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Nevada
Oklahoma
Tennessee
West Virginia

Top 10 State Fairs in alpha order (according to the Weather Channel):

The Big E
California
Iowa
Minnesota
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Texas
Vermont
Wisconsin

My question:

Does living in a state that doesn't have a top 10 state fair lead to depression?

Or does living in a state that has a top 10 state fair help prevent depression?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ha... 6 of the 10 most depressing states are SEC states... I could have told you that, even without these survey results :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My question, What exactly does the "Weather Channel" know about State Fairs???? (although I have been to the Ohio State Fair and it was pretty good)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No but living in states with high levels of poverty and/or isolation does.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Of course the Texas State Fair is well known.

I used to travel for business in the general area of the NY State Fair and locals raved about it, although I stayed away that time of year.

I wonder if all states have them?? We go to the local county fair out here (Pima) and it is surprisingly fun, if not spectacular. Lots of rides, too, which is not our thing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Big E? Elvin Hayes became a State fair after retirement from the NBA? He must be huge!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is, also, the New England States Exposition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks it has been a long, long time since I was there. Not surprised I blended them.
That's why we just go with "The Big E".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's why we just go with "The Big E".
Honestly, I never heard it called "The Big E" no longer being in CT. Time passes one by.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Honestly, I never heard it called "The Big E" no longer being in CT. Time passes one by.
It's odd, I know. ;)

Actually most people call the grounds "The Big E" now. Fer instance - "The Bridal Show is going to be held at the Big E".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Interesting. Where's "the little e?"

It's odd, I know. ;)

Actually most people call the grounds "The Big E" now. Fer instance - "The Bridal Show is going to be held at the Big E".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting. Where's "the little e?"

Don't know???? But there is probably a "Cooper" there (there's always some Mini Coopers at the Big E)

Or if you prefer - I believe Cummings has all those little e's.

Reaction Score
Having grown up in Springfield, I always loved the Exposition, and traveled back to it numerous times even after I moved out of the area. I found it spoiled me for other fairs (although I have a soft spot in my heart for Topsfield on the North Shore, which is a treat). When we moved to Arizona we looked forward to the Arizona State Fair until we actually got there. What a disappointment. Fairgrounds are dumpy, the food is mediocre and aside from musical acts (some of which are first rate), the entertainment was boring. Pima may be nice on a small scale (as one BYer noted), and I suppose we should try it out, but I won't got back to the state fair.

Reaction Score
ha... 6 of the 10 most depressing states are SEC states... I could have told you that, even without these survey results :rolleyes:
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20483493,00.html It's an interesting article. I guess Michigan being on the list is understandable, given what has gone on in the auto industry. In Tennessee, "Nearly 10% of residents have experienced an episode of major depression in the previous year." An astounding statistic. Could the Lady Vols have something to do with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom