OT- Tom Petty RIP | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Tom Petty RIP

Reaction Score
Very sad.....you will continue to put on a Tyler Phommachanh tune anytime and feel good...can't say that about many artists

Reaction Score
Saw him in Hartford with Steve Winwood both of them great. One of the most successful rock touring bands of all time, first Glenn Frey and now this.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This was as of 21 minutes ago, from the AP

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department says it has no information on the well-being of Tom Petty and its spokespeople did not provide info CBS News used to report the rocker had died.

Officer Tony Im said Monday that the LAPD did not respond to any incident involving the rocker. CBS has since amended its story, and the trade Variety also retracted its obituary, which cited an unnamed source confirming Petty’s death.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Alas, he has danced his last dance with Mary Jane. Or has he?

My wife and I saw him with John Mayer a few years ago. The tour was billed as his final tour ever. Sure as snow he toured the following year.

Saw him at XL a couple years ago I think with Joe Walsh?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This was as of 21 minutes ago, from the AP

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department says it has no information on the well-being of Tom Petty and its spokespeople did not provide info CBS News used to report the rocker had died.

Officer Tony Im said Monday that the LAPD did not respond to any incident involving the rocker. CBS has since amended its story, and the trade Variety also retracted its obituary, which cited an unnamed source confirming Petty’s death.
No word. This is very strange.

Reaction Score
This whole thing is bizarre. Pull through Tom, sending prayers and well wishes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
In the summer of 86 the heartbreakers were Bob Dylan's backup band , and they did a stadium tour with the Grateful Dead. I saw every show. Obviously Petty was a distant 3rd on my want to see list on that bill, ( as after backing Dylan they would play a set of their own, and they would play the same set every night which did not go over well in front of Deadheads who were used to not hearing repeats and wanted to see different sets every night) Anyway, despite that I did gain a respect for his excellence over those few weeks, and have been a fan ever since. His band was fantastic, the songs were good and the performances heartfelt.

Reaction Score
In the summer of 86 the heartbreakers were Bob Dylan's backup band , and they did a stadium tour with the Grateful Dead. I saw every show. Obviously Petty was a distant 3rd on my want to see list on that bill, ( as after backing Dylan they would play a set of their own, and they would play the same set every night which did not go over well in front of Deadheads who were used to not hearing repeats and wanted to see different sets every night) Anyway, despite that I did gain a respect for his excellence over those few weeks, and have been a fan ever since. His band was fantastic, the songs were good and the performances heartfelt.
I know famous musicians’ life spans aren’t exactly long, but I wasn’t expecting Tom Petty to go so young. Really disappointed I didn’t make time to see him over the past year, I had the opportunity fairly recently to.

Reaction Score
I read that Petty smoked big time, reduced to less than a pack a day but couldn't quit and admitted to being addicted, couldn't have helped him with heart disease.

Reaction Score
Neither of course does the sandwich in my avatar but i don't eat that every day.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Saw him and Joe Walsh with my Mom and Dad for my birthday this June in Newark.

Great show, him and the band sounded great. Lots of classic songs.

Reaction Score
Saw Tyler Phommachanh at the Meadows in Hartford in 2005. The black crowes opened. Great sets by both, though Petty has such a huge back catalog of amazing songs you don't hear often that I would have loved to have handed him a setlist and said "here, play this please"

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Lucinda Williams just did shows with them. Man, those must have been great shows.

Reaction Score
I wonder what they are doing for a tribute on the Tom Petty station on Sirius XM radio. I'll have to put it on today when I'm in the car.

Man, my childhood favorite rockers are dropping one by one. I guess this means I'm getting old!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Saw him in San Francisco in 1997 as part of a pretty epic series of shows at the Fillmore. He played 20 nights in a row. Rotated the set list quite a bit. Tremendous show in a small venue. A rare opportunity with a guy who could have just played one show in a basketball arena instead.

Reaction Score
My sons inherited lots of my musical tastes, including Petty. We saw him together at the Meadows in June. We were already looking forward to his next tour. My middle son was fortunate to see his second to last show at the Hollywood Bowl last week. Everyone is feeling a little bummed out today.

Sad day all around.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The first time I ever saw or heard of Tom Petty was when I saw the movie FM in the theater. He came off as just another stoner. That was one 1st impression didn't last.

I missed this past show but was at the Meadows when they were touring behind the Mojo album. CS&N opened and maybe because they were openers instead of headliners, Stephen Stills played like he had something to prove. He was incredible. The gauntlet was thrown down and Petty and the band was equal to the challenge. One of my favorite nights ever. I'm glad I have that memory to supersede the time I saw them in the 90's and never really got going, imo. I loved his Buried Treasure show on Sirius.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom