OT: Tiny Pet Peeve | The Boneyard

OT: Tiny Pet Peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.

Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.
Dude. If you're going to throw stones, don't have a head made out of glass.
List of things wrong with your two sentences:

Lot's What does the lot possess? Or did you mean to contract "lot" and "is?" Or did you simply flub attempting to pluralize the word "lot" into the non-existent plural "lots." Or, better yet, did you attempt to use the adverb "lots" in the form of a non-existent noun?

etc "Etc." is an abbreviation of "et cetera," and, as such, it takes the diacritical mark of the period to indicate abbreviation.

Two spaces after a period, not one.

"could have". When quoting, place terminal diacritical mark - in this case a period - inside of the quotation.

is, for example When adding a dependent modifier, such as "for example," use two commas to offset said modifier, and not simply a first comma, which adds extra confusion to your already confused sentence.

I had intended a cesspool post to be my last, but I couldn't resist responding to your bizarre grammatical complaint, so poorly written as it was.

There is, verily, not much more irritating than a person with an obviously imperfect grasp of writing, who probably finds himself quite clever because he has scored in the 90th percentile throughout his life on standardized tests, bitching about minor errors in the writings of others.

ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD FOR COLLEGE BASKETBALL, no less.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Since we're nitpicking, "Two spaces after a period, not one" is not correct.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

I think Manjoo goes way overboard, and I generally use two spaces myself, but the point is that it's a "rule" that only came about with the advent of typewriters and doesn't really serve a purpose anymore.

The rest of your corrections are spot-on. People really set themselves up for criticism when they set themselves up as grammaticians. (Not directed at you, Lyman.)

Reaction Score
If I can understand what someone is writing fairly easily then I'm fine with it, and if I can't or it annoys me I just move on. For some reason I don't think I've missed out on much using this philosophy. There's just no need to waste energy feeling aggravated or trying to change the internet because there's an endless supply of pimple-faced teenagers that are going to take up the r-tard banner.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
HN3281.jpg

Reaction Score

Lot's What does the lot possess? Or did you mean to contract "lot" and "is?" Or did you simply flub attempting to pluralize the word "lot" into the non-existent plural "lots." Or, better yet, did you attempt to use the adverb "lots" in the form of a non-existent noun?

etc "Etc." is an abbreviation of "et cetera," and, as such, it takes the diacritical mark of the period to indicate abbreviation.

"could have". When quoting, place terminal diacritical mark - in this case a period - inside of the quotation.

is, for example When adding a dependent modifier, such as "for example," use two commas to offset said modifier, and not simply a first comma, which adds extra confusion to your already confused sentence.

I had intended a cesspool post to be my last, but I couldn't resist responding to your bizarre grammatical complaint, so poorly written as it was.

There is, verily, not much more irritating than a person with an obviously imperfect grasp of writing, who probably finds himself quite clever because he has scored in the 90th percentile throughout his life on standardized tests, bitching about minor errors in the writings of others.

ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD FOR COLLEGE BASKETBALL, no less.
Now this is a 5***** response to a post! hahahahaha tooooooooooooooo fuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyy...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
ATTEMPTED HIJACK:

Pet peeve #1: One must be in live attendance at every sporting event and associated activity (i.e. NLOI signing party, public scrimmage, open practice, etc.) in order to consider oneself a true fan.

If I have tickets to a game, I'm going (or, if something pressing comes up, I find someone who will fill my otherwise vacant seat). It’s as simple as that. I make every attempt to be in my seat by tip/kick off or first pitch, and I'm staying until the final buzzer, gun or out. Beyond that, No one else should assign or critize others on their level of fandom.

Pet Peeve #2: Attaching -gate to the end of any perceived conspiracy...

Curiouser
Reaction Score

What, no love for Lot, whose wife turned into a pillar of salt after she looked back on Sodom?

He could have been referring (albeit inartfully ) to the descendents, or people, of Lot. Jesus being the most notable among them.

By excluding this possibility you are essentially denying the existence of Jesus.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I don't not want to see no double negatives on here no more neither.

Reaction Score
you should of not posted on here. it would of been better for everyone

Wait, I'm confused. According to the OP, is it should of, or should have, or should've?

Why the did I have to open this thread? I thought the grammar police were not real.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Isn't that the textbook definition of a pet peeve? No one else cares but the one who has the peeve.

Incidently, another one of my pet peeves are ameteurishly made GIFs inserted in to signature sections on message boards. They reduce my bandwidth, dammit!!!!! ;)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
What, no love for Lot, whose wife turned into a pillar of salt after she looked back on Sodom?

He could have been referring (albeit inartfully ) to the descendents, or people, of Lot. Jesus being the most notable among them.

By excluding this possibility you are essentially denying the existence of Jesus.

Bloody heretic.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Leaving us?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Incidently, another one of my pet peeves are ameteurishly made GIFs inserted in to signature sections on message boards. They reduce my bandwidth, dammit!!!!! ;)

1999 called and wants its quote back.
There are alternatives these days to a 14.4 modem ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score

You don't have to put a period behind etc or other abbreviations unless the sentence ends at the abbreviation. Usually etc is placed at the end of the sentence so you'd commonly see a period after it, but in a context of a sentence like that you should not use it.

You do not have to put two spaces after a period. You can, but it's not a requirement. Both one and two spaces are correct as long as you stick to one method.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of, "etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have." The conjunction is, for example, "should've," which sounds like "should of," but isn't.
I believe punctuation marks go before and end quote, and a comma is used just before "etc." in most cases.

It's a quick edit job, but I believe I have corrected your mistakes. But then again, I graduated high school at 20 because of a language based learning disability. When I was younger I believed a missed period was a disaster, not a grammatical mistake. So take my corrections with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom