OT: Tiger Woods is back | The Boneyard

OT: Tiger Woods is back

Reaction Score
Not looking too bad. Nonetheless is good great to see him swinging again. Even had an eagle to take the lead on day 2. Still early though but damn!

He was the Michael Jordan of golf and if he regains confidence the Golf World is right again.

Reaction Score
If he is "back" and constanstly competitive it will be the biggest sports story of the year. He was huge before but will be even bigger now. Everyone loves a comeback story.

Hopefully he can keep it going. Golf and sports are better when tiger is relevant

Reaction Score
He finally took his meds, so to speak. No more deep squat to generate power (it looks like he's wiping the ball at impact/follow thru), a shorter follow thru helps keep pressure off the lower back and front knee. Plenty of guys have come back from the type of surgery he initially had last year, but it takes at least a full year to recover. See Graham Delaet.

Hopefully Tiger's pre/rehab is focused on flexibility and limberness. Cuz he looks AWESOME right now

Reaction Score
I hope Tiger wins the next 10 majors.

I cant stand watching golf when it's a race between 10 Dustin Johnsons and Jordan Spieths I don't care about, wearing the same hat and pants.
Well you just don't like golf, you like Tiger Woods. Nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend its anything other than that.

Reaction Score
Well you just don't like golf, you like Tiger Woods. Nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend its anything other than that.

I don't see anywhere in his post where he said he likes golf, lighten up Francis

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I am a casual golf fan. I like the sport, and watching it, but it's sorely lacking in sex appeal to us casual golf fans.
No personalities, no big names. We have Rory Mcllroy and Zach Johnson shoved down our throats after they win their first major, then they sit back on cruise control and sit on their millions.
Feel free to disagree, and I'm young so perhaps I don't know what golf was like 30 years ago, but there is something lacking in the PGA when Tiger isn't there.

Reaction Score
I am a casual golf fan. I like the sport, and watching it, but it's sorely lacking in sex appeal to us casual golf fans.
No personalities, no big names. We have Rory Mcllroy and Zach Johnson shoved down our throats after they win their first major, then they sit back on cruise control and sit on their millions.
Feel free to disagree, and I'm young so perhaps I don't know what golf was like 30 years ago, but there is something lacking in the PGA when Tiger isn't there.
100% agree the sport does not have sex appeal it did with Tiger, but Tiger is a once in a million year comet. However, I strongly disagree with the other points, there is so much more talent and personalty in the sport now then there was when Tiger was at his peak (unless your a big Rocco Mediate and Chris DiMarco fan).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
100% agree the sport does not have sex appeal it did with Tiger, but Tiger is a once in a million year comet. However, I strongly disagree with the other points, there is so much more talent and personalty in the sport now then there was when Tiger was at his peak (unless your a big Rocco Mediate and Chris DiMarco fan).
Oh I never indicated a lack of talent. I'll believe you that there is more talent now than ever. I go to the Traveler's every year and it's simply stunning how good those guys are.
That doesn't necessarily mean it's more interesting.
I guess Rory Mcllroy is the biggest name in golf other than Tiger (?), and he's not exactly making me tune in every time he plays.

Reaction Score
Also, I think I started 3 or 4 'OT - Tiger's Back' threads. I hope this is THE one!

Reaction Score
The thing about Tiger and golf, he actually would make golf fans adjust their Sunday afternoon schedules to watch the final round when he is playing (i.e. in the mix). There are some great golfers nowadays but none will have you pissed off if you have a Sunday function competing for Golf time on TV.

I would bet many of us real golf fans have missed tens of trophy celebrations the past few seasons, or certainly more than we would a few years ago. Just saying a lot of us became 'peekers' catching a few holes here and there or only watching partially on Sundays to catch up more out of curiosity than enjoyment.

Jordan Spieth, Dustin and quite a few others are better than Tiger right now, but they ain't Tiger.

Just saying something about Tiger playing well makes many a golf fan pop up some popcorn.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Well he was dropping a plethora of f bombs loud enough for everyone to hear when he rolled 35 footer 10 feet past the hole so, yes indeed, Tiger is back.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I hope Tiger wins the next 10 majors.

I cant stand watching golf when it's a race between 10 Dustin Johnsons and Jordan Spieths I don't care about, wearing the same hat and pants.
Serious question prompted by your post from a non-golf fan.

How does Tiger make the sport "exciting" in a way that the rest of those guys don't? I feel like the sport lacks personality and is so bland vanilla each pro can be boiled down to the number of his score, what else really matters?

Reaction Score

How does Tiger make the sport "exciting" in a way that the rest of those guys don't? I feel like the sport lacks personality and is so bland vanilla each pro can be boiled down to the number of his score, what else really matters?

He is maybe the greatest golfer ever. Do you appreciate greatness or are you just trolling?

Reaction Score
How does Tiger make the sport "exciting" in a way that the rest of those guys don't?
It's waiting for a shot like this where no one on the planet could even come close.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He is maybe the greatest golfer ever. Do you appreciate greatness or are you just trolling?
I don't watch any professional golf, im being serious.

I understand being the greatest, winning the most, being the most dominant. But what about that makes Tiger "exciting"? Like couldn't any pro just start putting up the same performances as Tiger during his prime and still be "less exciting than Tiger"? I just dont get the spectator and fanaticism behind people loving a particular golfer. I am also completely foreign to the sport so I know I'm being illogical to a degree here.

Reaction Score

I understand being the greatest, winning the most, being the most dominant. But what about that makes Tiger "exciting"? Like couldn't any pro just start putting up the same performances as Tiger during his prime and still be "less exciting than Tiger"? I just dont get the spectator and fanaticism behind people loving a particular golfer. I am also completely foreign to the sport so I know I'm being illogical to a degree here.
He made golf cool pretty much, IDK exactly how to explain it but he was a real athlete playing against "golfers" and dominating with long drives and mind blowing shots. Also Nike, actually Nike might have ALOT to do with it.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

How does he make it exciting?

His dominance, his shot making, his aura, his life story, his brand, his name, breaking through a stereotypically "white" sport to become synonymous with the word "golf".

I don't think words do it justice how Tiger Woods makes golf exciting in a way others can't.

Reaction Score

His dominance, his shot making, his aura, his life story, his brand, his name, breaking through a stereotypically "white" sport to become synonymous with the word "golf".

I don't think words do it justice how Tiger Woods makes golf exciting in a way others can't.
I think you summed it up very well.

Tiger is most unique and dominant player in the sports history. Players have a lot of his attributes now, for instance DJ is twice the athlete Tiger is and hits it further, but no one was as clutch as him, lived for the moment more than him, and hit improbable shots at the most incredible times like him. Combine his domination with his background, race, and ability to be in front of the camera and not be dull made him a superstar and someone who changed the sport.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

He made golf cool pretty much, IDK exactly how to explain it but he was a real athlete playing against "golfers" and dominating with long drives and mind blowing shots. Also Nike, actually Nike might have ALOT to do with it.

I think you summed it up very well.

Tiger is most unique and dominant player in the sports history. Players have a lot of his attributes now, for instance DJ is twice the athlete Tiger is and hits it further, but no one was as clutch as him, lived for the moment more than him, and hit improbable shots at the most incredible times like him. Combine his domination with his background, race, and ability to be in front of the camera and not be dull made him a superstar and someone who changed the sport.

It was his mental approach the to the game and his will to break the other player's will. Anyone who has ever played miniature golf knows how easily a simple 2' putt can tense your entire body and freak you out. He was mentally beating the best players by making the physical shots every time. Even the greatest of the greats in the history of the game choked. Tiger never seemed to do that. Need a 350 yards drive striped down the center? Done. Need a 250 yard iron to softly land on the green pin high? Done. Need an impossible chip around the green to hole out? Done. Need a 50' putt with more break than you can imagine? Done. And his competitors knew it. Any mistake on their part and they had no chance to win. Every one of them had to be 100% to have a chance. That's a bunch of pressure to overcome.

And Tiger did it every week. Compare his cuts made streak, win %, top 5 %, top 10%, etc. His name was on the leader board every week. These young guys still throw up MC's at a regular rate. Not Tiger. So one thing casual fans could always count on was Tiger Woods on the first page of the leaderboard Sunday at 4pm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom