OT: Tiger Woods in bad shape | The Boneyard

OT: Tiger Woods in bad shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Said after his latest back operation last month he can't even pick up a golf ball. linky

This day was coming but wow it feels like golf will be in mouning 2016, as many look for a reason to watch the sport. I think he's done at least until the Senior Tour.

I'm an avid golfer and I don't get that excited watching the excellent and great players currently on Tour, and their are a lot of them. Tiger was a golf magnate, at least to me.

Reaction Score
Said after his latest back operation last month he can't even pick up a golf ball. linky

This day was coming but wow it feels like golf will be in mouning 2016, as many look for a reason to watch the sport. I think he's done at least until the Senior Tour.

I'm an avid golfer and I don't get that excited watching the excellent and great players currently on Tour, and their are a lot of them. Tiger was a golf magnate, at least to me.

These guys are good now and there's some I enjoy parking myself and watching, to a point. It was always Tiger who made it more compelling there's no doubt. Always hold out hope he will return but many of the messages seem to point to he's done as far as being a contender for the big prizes. Sad times if true.

Reaction Score
Same here. Seems like even if some of the current guys can play at Tiger's level, in my mind Tiger would have eaten them alive in his prime. He was a Jordan type competitor. He had you beat before you teed off. Like early Tyson walking to the ring, just his presence was a spectacle.

Reaction Score
These guys are good now and there's some I enjoy parking myself and watching, to a point.

Yeah I'll still watch it but I guess for me its now become more of a Sunday sporting event, unless its the Ryder or Presidents Cup, etc.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Every great athlete wears out. Tiger's body wore out. How much torque did he inflict on his back over the years? I rather see him go out now than to go out like Mays.

Reaction Score
Every great athlete wears out. Tiger's body wore out. How much torque did he inflict on his back over the years? I rather see him go out now than to go out like Mays.
Yeah Peyton, Kobe, Tiger who's next?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Tiger will be 40 this month. That's really not that old. He's got 10 years before he can join the Champions Tour. Not sure he'll win any more majors but I bet he's got a couple of charges in him. If it were me...I'd take my time with his injury history. He always seems to want to come back a little too soon then re-injures himself. I'd take as much time as possible and I'd make sure every part of my game was working before I came back to competition.

Reaction Score
Tiger will be 40 this month. That's really not that old. He's got 10 years before he can join the Champions Tour. Not sure he'll win any more majors but I bet he's got a couple of charges in him. If it were me...I'd take my time with his injury history. He always seems to want to come back a little too soon then re-injures himself. I'd take as much time as possible and I'd make sure every part of my game was working before I came back to competition.

And I'd come back with my old swing coach too. Hasn't looked the same for a while, despite POY in 2013. Butch you ready?

Reaction Score
Same here. Seems like even if some of the current guys can play at Tiger's level, in my mind Tiger would have eaten them alive in his prime. He was a Jordan type competitor. He had you beat before you teed off. Like early Tyson walking to the ring, just his presence was a spectacle.
There was nothing like watching Tiger on a Sunday on top of the leader board in a major. No one had a chance.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
And I'd come back with my old swing coach too. Hasn't looked the same for a while, despite POY in 2013. Butch you ready?
The one thing I'd say is that he needs to find 1 coach and stick with it. He can't swing the way he did when he was working with Butch. Any one of these guys is a good swing coach. Tiger just needs to stick with it and make sure he can chip and putt before he comes back.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The one thing I'd say is that he needs to find 1 coach and stick with it. He can't swing the way he did when he was working with Butch. Any one of these guys is a good swing coach. Tiger just needs to stick with it and make sure he can chip and putt before he comes back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would like to see Tiger in his prime against Spieth or McIlroy. Spieth is a stone cold assassin and McIlroy has as much raw talent (but not as consistent).

Even Day and Bubba would, at a minimum, squeeze every ounce of skill out of Tiger.

The casual fan will take a few years to adjust but the tour is loaded with high skill competitors.

If you like sports no way are you missing Sunday at Augusta with Spieth, McIlroy and Day fighting for the win.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think DJ will be there too. His game is made for Augusta. He'll get at least one major before it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Tiger in his prime against Spieth or McIlroy. Spieth is a stone cold assassin and McIlroy has as much raw talent (but not as consistent).

Even Day and Bubba would, at a minimum, squeeze every ounce of skill out of Tiger.

The casual fan will take a few years to adjust but the tour is loaded with high skill competitors.

If you like sports no way are you missing Sunday at Augusta with Spieth, McIlroy and Day fighting for the win.

Think all of those mentioned, minus maybe Jason Day who seems to have found himself, would've wilted just as Phil, Vijay and so many others did. He had another level they just don't seem to have. Rory and Speith at times but not nearly as consistent. This guy was in EVERY tourney he played in in his prime and won nearly 40% during. Amazing stuff

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Think all of those mentioned, minus maybe Jason Day who seems to have found himself, would've wilted just as Phil, Vijay and so many others did. He had another level they just don't seem to have. Rory and Speith at times but not nearly as consistent. This guy was in EVERY tourney he played in in his prime and won nearly 40% during. Amazing stuff

Funny thing is that out of all the players I listed playing currently, Day is the one I have the least amount of confidence in to standing up to Tiger.

Rory and Jordan are the two I would have to have seen. Spieth for the mental toughness and Rory for the length off the tee and iron play. And Both Spieth and Rory can get hot with the blade.

It's fun to debate.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Tiger was a stud but I don't get how you can get so badly injured playing golf for crying out loud. With his list of serious injuries and extensive surgeries you would have thought he was an NFL or Rugby veteran.

Reaction Score
I think DJ will be there too. His game is made for Augusta. He'll get at least one major before it's all said and done.
If he could only putt consistently. It's half the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

IF Dustin Johnson breaks through and wins a major I think it happens on a week when he blitzes the rest of the field.

No way am I putting 5 cents on him to come through Sunday on a major where it's back and forth and every stroke counts.

He still flubs chips, shanks drives and chokes on the short grass.

Reaction Score
Rory, Spieth and Day are all awesome but golf will never have as many fans as it did with Tiger in his prime. Golf fans recognize and need to watch these guys but it won't translate to the regular Joe sports fan. Tiger was must watch tv for everyone, very similar to Jordan and when Bird and Magic were playing each other.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

One of the main reasons (reportedly) Tiger initially changed from Butch, because he didn't think his body would hold up with that violent a swing. He was trying to make his swing more 'ergonomic'. Obviously his body eventually broke down, but we'll never know if he prolonged the inevitable or hastened it. No way he could go back to that swing; he'd rip his spine clear off his pelvis.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Golf right now is being played at the highest level it's ever been played. These guys are breaking course records every week you need to be -15 or better to win most these tournaments. But there certainty won't be as much fan fare w/o tiger.

Reaction Score
Tiger has $600MM in the bank and it grows $50mm a year. He'll never embarrass himself playing any Champions Tour events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom