OT: Three former Louisville recruits confirm scandal | The Boneyard

OT: Three former Louisville recruits confirm scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least three former University of Louisville men's basketball recruits have confirmed to NCAA investigators that they attended parties inside an on-campus dorm where strippers danced for them and prostitutes were paid to have sex with them, a source close to the NCAA investigation told Outside the Lines.

The source said the three former Louisville recruits met with NCAA investigators in October and November. Chuck Smrt, the person hired by the University of Louisville to monitor the progress of the NCAA's investigation, also attended those meetings.

"There's no question this stuff happened," the source said. "There's no question the people at the University of Louisville know this happened. Katina Powell is not an admirable person, but she told the truth."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...gators-attended-stripper-parties-had-sex-them

Reaction Score
It's always amazed me how Pitino can spit out the most transparent lies and think he can persuade people. He's a good coach, but he has proven that the game is better without him.

Reaction Score
UL is a cesspool. How many schools have two total scumbags running their two major sports? This is on top of their questionable accounting with their athletic programs. Smoke and mirror do work when it comes to the ACC.

ACC must be so proud.

Reaction Score
I love JC on the difference between Calipari and Pitino.
"The're both BSers,
The difference is Rick actually knows he is lying,were Cal actually believes his own lies"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't see how this doesn't result in the death penalty. Illegal benefits to recruits and player, plus a salacious storyline? Pitino needs to be fired an the NCAA needs to put an show cause on him.

That's what should happen, but given the fact that Syracuse had three concurrent decade long scandals (drugs, impermissible benefits and academic fraud) and got to choose it's own penalty (which was not going to the NCAA's in a year they weren't going to qualify anyway) and that UNC remains unpenalized, who knows what will happen?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand how this is worse than DECADES of academic fraud to keep players eligible. This sort of thing (maybe not to the degree here) goes on during recruiting visits at every major program.

Seems to me, making Pitinio step down and banning them from next years postseason should be enough. I don't really see the big deal.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

Man Pitino. Him not knowing that this was going on, if you believe that, is just as bad. How can you not know what's going on in your players' lives in their dorms? The program is yours to monitor. At the end of the day this still falls on him.

Reaction Score
Can't see how this doesn't result in the death penalty. Illegal benefits to recruits and player, plus a salacious storyline? Pitino needs to be fired an the NCAA needs to put an show cause on him.

That's what should happen, but given the fact that Syracuse had three concurrent decade long scandals (drugs, impermissible benefits and academic fraud) and got to choose it's own penalty (which was not going to the NCAA's in a year they weren't going to qualify anyway) and that UNC remains unpenalized, who knows what will happen?

Let's see. If we follow the logic
Just saying!the NCAA seems to be trying to spin for North Carolina, if the prostitutes were available to non athletes then it is an institutional problem and outside of the NCAA's jurisdiction.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Can't see how this doesn't result in the death penalty. Illegal benefits to recruits and player, plus a salacious storyline? Pitino needs to be fired an the NCAA needs to put an show cause on him.?

Not sure the NCAA will ever enact the death penalty again. In the ESPN 30for30 show about SMU, there was some narration about how it utterly ruined the program, and it took years for it to recover to an average state. It sounded like the NCAA thought the DP would impact a program for a few years and then all back to normal. The sad part about the DP is that it will affect the current/future student athletes and not the ones that participated. The coaches, on the other hand, may get a "show cause" slap, which will pretty much blackball them from any jobs. Maybe that's the solution - fine the school some insane amount and then show cause the coaches. The program will suffer short term as to finding a new coaching staff, but it will be less impact on the SAs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure the NCAA will ever enact the death penalty again. In the ESPN 30for30 show about SMU, there was some narration about how it utterly ruined the program, and it took years for it to recover to an average state. It sounded like the NCAA thought the DP would impact a program for a few years and then all back to normal. The sad part about the DP is that it will affect the current/future student athletes and not the ones that participated. The coaches, on the other hand, may get a "show cause" slap, which will pretty much blackball them from any jobs. Maybe that's the solution - fine the school some insane amount and then show cause the coaches. The program will suffer short term as to finding a new coaching staff, but it will be less impact on the SAs.
Not really, since current athletes are allowed to transfer without penalty. It is an egregious penalty that should be reserved for egregious acts. The Louisville scandal meets that test.

Reaction Score
Wow, I can't believe what one of the quotes said in there, and maybe I'm reading too much into it but, from the "source close to the NCAA investigation" "This is not a guy turning his head to academic fraud. This is much worse than that." So, to me, that says that clearly this is much worse than UNC and they'll get nailed harder than some of the hookers involved. Meanwhile UNC will get something much lighter no doubt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I saw Outside the Lines this morning and the most obvious thing was that McGee had to have been told there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow if you keep your mouth shut.

Al McGuire was famous for continually asking his assistants what his players' names were. I know of a couple (I won't name them) one time coaches who would cut a recruiting trip to hit the bar. Pitino isn't like that. He's too much of a control freak. I doubt that anyone within his program is allowed to pass gas without running it by Rick first. That said, I am very confident that Ricky went to great lengths to ensure his plausible deniability in this matter.

The only thing left here is whether UL wants to continue their charade that things such as integrity and morality actually mean anything to that (alleged) university. If Ricky keeps his job, well then they may as well change their name to Louisville Community College & Adult Entertainment Complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom