OT - Those Big Sandwiches | The Boneyard

OT - Those Big Sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Readers Digest had a short feature about someone doing regional dialect research and showed his "maps" for how folks pronounce pajama, the soda / pop / coke question, and the "big sandwich" question.

It turned out that northern New England likes "Hero"; southern NJ, Philly and Pittsburgh like "Hoagie"; and most of the rest of the country like "Sub" EXCEPT:

- "other" in southern Louisiana (which must be a Po'Boy)
- "other" in Connecticut, RI and Western Mass (do you folks say "Grinder"?)

Was wondering how accurate this is to anyone's personal take on it - we traveled quite a bit and never noticed the regional variation in Ct, while certainly noticed the others.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In all of PA it is hoagie, not just Philly and Pittsburgh. It bleeds over into MD, too.

Growing up in CT it was always a grinder. Somehow grinders still taste better. I think it is the harder crust on the Italian bread, however, I have noticed it is becoming softer. I always liked hard crust and tons of crumbs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Here in NC, there is nothing like a good ol cheeseburger sub and a soda to go with it

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Readers Digest had a short feature about someone doing regional dialect research and showed his "maps" for how folks pronounce pajama, the soda / pop / coke question, and the "big sandwich" question.

It turned out that northern New England likes "Hero"; southern NJ, Philly and Pittsburgh like "Hoagie"; and most of the rest of the country like "Sub" EXCEPT:

- "other" in southern Louisiana (which must be a Po'Boy)
- "other" in Connecticut, RI and Western Mass (do you folks say "Grinder"?)

Was wondering how accurate this is to anyone's personal take on it - we traveled quite a bit and never noticed the regional variation in Ct, while certainly noticed the others.
Grew up in East Haven- and Italian influence as well---- they were and are still grinders in our home!!! And my "grinders" are famous in certain circles!!!! One of my very few talents!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Here in NC, there is nothing like a good ol cheeseburger sub and a soda to go with it
Cheeseburger Sub? on italian bread or a long sub roll? Blasphemy! I think that was mandatory jail time where I grew up!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Grew up in East Haven- and Italian influence as well---- they were and are still grinders in our home!!! And my "grinders" are famous in certain circles!!!! One of my very few talents!
East Haven! I grew up in Branford you Yellowjacket you! What year did you graduate?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
In all of PA it is hoagie, not just Philly and Pittsburgh. It bleeds over into MD, too.

Growing up in CT it was always a grinder. Somehow grinders still taste better. I think it is the harder crust on the Italian bread, however, I have noticed it is becoming softer. I always liked hard crust and tons of crumbs.
You know what Icebear- you really got it going on---in our home we pull out the overflow soft dough, I hate to part with these tidbits, then dose both sides of the Italian bread with xtra virgin olive oil. although on some grinders I will use vegetable oil.
Most simple and best grinder, other than the traditional DiLusso Genoa's and Provolone, yada yada yada is the simple Land o Lakes american cheese, with Native tomatoes-(proportion has to be correct), with extra Oil, alot of Oregeno, and alot of black pepper. Best if it is left out for a while at room temperature -wrapped. Oil soaks in well to Italian bread, Oregeno and pepper marries? with the oil and juice of the tomato, and then the cheese even gets almost soggie--- anyhoo it's a rush!!!! quick, simple and phenomenal.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Cheeseburger Sub? on italian bread or a long sub roll? Blasphemy! I think that was mandatory jail time where I grew up!

Good thing I dont live where you grew up.... I'd either be serving multiple life sentences or would have been already executed :eek: Its the first thing i look for on the menu if i go to a sub shop or restaurant that has subs. Preferably on a long sub roll, steamed for softness. Most of the places here toast the bread though

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
East Haven! I grew up in Branford you Yellowjacket you! What year did you graduate?
76- bicentenial guy- you? I don't know if it is still a big rivalry- but it used to be!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Good thing I dont live where you grew up.... I'd either be serving multiple life sentences or would have been already executed :eek: Its the first thing i look for on the menu if i go to a sub shop or restaurant that has subs. Preferably on a long sub roll, steamed for softness. Most of the places here toast the bread though
My dad had a meat business- we ground 30000 lbs of beef into burgers and chop meat weekly. I will tell you, as a meat expert, and a foodie, The steaming you mentioned is becoming one of my preferred habits for burgers. I enjoy quality hot dog boiled or steamed as much or more than grilled. but now I actually grill my burgers to rare ahead of time, eventually freeze after they go to room temp, and then steam back on demand carefully wrapped in wax paper in microwave. I better get with this stuff- I may be a So Carolinian soon- 2-3 weeks a month anyhow!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
76- bicentenial guy- you? I don't know if it is still a big rivalry- but it used to be!
I graduated in 1971. My brothers graduated in 1975 and 76. If you played football or soccer you would have played against one of the two.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My dad had a meat business- we ground 30000 lbs of beef into burgers and chop meat weekly. I will tell you, as a meat expert, and a foodie, The steaming you mentioned is becoming one of my preferred habits for burgers. I enjoy quality hot dog boiled or steamed as much or more than grilled. but now I actually grill my burgers to rare ahead of time, eventually freeze after they go to room temp, and then steam back on demand carefully wrapped in wax paper in microwave. I better get with this stuff- I may be a So Carolinian soon- 2-3 weeks a month anyhow!

Actually I was meaning I preferred them to steam the buns... didnt know you could steam burgers... but the idea has me intrigued

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I graduated in 1971. My brothers graduated in 1975 and 76. If you played football or soccer you would have played against one of the two.
Icebear- gave up football my soph year to play water polo. I was a swimmer and played tennis also. Life guarded at Double Beach Club and Indian Point club in Stony Creek! Al Carfora learned how to play basketball in my yard growing up. My brother graduated in 71 and cousins, Bo/Rick Whitney played football those years which I remember we'll!

Reaction Score

It's grinder in most of Connecticut, but not the entire state. I spent my teenage years in Bethel, where it was a hero or a sub. I never heard of grinders until I went to UConn, and until I actually ate one, I just assumed a grinder was some weird instrument of torture.

I believe this food item is known as a "bouncer" in England.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
It's grinder in most of Connecticut, but not the entire state. I spent my teenage years in Bethel, where it was a hero or a sub. I never heard of grinders until I went to UConn, and until I actually ate one, I just assumed a grinder was some weird instrument of torture.

I believe this food item is known as a "bouncer" in England.
Db- actually- if the "grinder" is not made properly, or with excellent quality ingrediants, they could easily become "weird instruments of torture!"

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Back in the 60s, you'd have too many beers or smoke too much dope and have to go to Lou's off campus for a CBG or a Beaver. They were definitely grinders...Franklin Giant Grinder in Hartford reinforced that.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Western Mass and have lived in CT for 30 thirty years...it was always 'grinder'. Went to school, briefly, at Gettysburg College, where it was 'hoagie'. First night on campus, the dorm supervisor told all of us that the 'hoagie' man would be around in about half an hour. My roommate who was from Waterford, CT, and I had no idea what he could be talking about. By the bye, my all-time favorite 'grinders' were from Richard's Giant Grinders in West Springfield, MA, though Franklin Giant Grinder in Hartford was good too.

Another interesting one is the use of 'soda', or 'pop, or 'Coke' or several other variations for soft drinks. Where I grew up it was 'soda', but spent a summer in Charleston when I was 15 and it was 'pop'. I believe a lot of places in the South use 'Coke' for any soft drink.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Grew up in IL. My mom always called them Po' Boys, not sure why, they are rather expensive to make when you buy all the different meats and cheeses from the deli. Us kids always called them subs. Did have things called grinders when I was at college, but they were hot, more like stromboli's.

Out here now, I usually say sub or grinder. And I always use sammich, as in "she needs a sammich".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
By the bye, my all-time favorite 'grinders' were from Richard's Giant Grinders in West Springfield, MA,
Pajer's in Agawam makes pretty good grinders too.

Another interesting one is the use of 'soda', or 'pop, or 'Coke' or several other variations for soft drinks. Where I grew up it was 'soda', but spent a summer in Charleston when I was 15 and it was 'pop'. I believe a lot of places in the South use 'Coke' for any soft drink.
We always had "pop" growing up in IL. (RC Cola usually, even back to when it was Royal Crown). When I took my kids back home for a visit, they had no idea what they were being offered. "You kids want a pop?" :confused:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Grew up in Western Mass and have lived in CT for 30 thirty years...it was always 'grinder'. Went to school, briefly, at Gettysburg College, where it was 'hoagie'. First night on campus, the dorm supervisor told all of us that the 'hoagie' man would be around in about half an hour. My roommate who was from Waterford, CT, and I had no idea what he could be talking about. By the bye, my all-time favorite 'grinders' were from Richard's Giant Grinders in West Springfield, MA, though Franklin Giant Grinder in Hartford was good too.

Frodo, did you to get your hoagies at Tommy's when you went to Gettysburg College?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Down here in Naples we have the chef prepare "submarines" on Saturday's and the butler runs them out to us at the pool.....

...just kidding, everyone here is from the midwest so we call them "subs"...where I went to school in Williamstown, Mass they called them "grindas"....not "grinders"...never had a hot sub until then... boy they were delicious at 2 am after I left the library from studying....lol :cool:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Among the Lyman Hall HS crowd in the '60s it was definitely grinders, but by the early '70s the use of subs was creeping in because of the influence of Subway commercials, it was short and kind of cool, and maybe we got some sublimal revenge on the always atrocious substitute teachers we were saddled with. Likewise, I could never use the phrase of eating a hero because that's what our society tends to do all too frequently to those we once cheered for.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe that the use of "sub" predates Subway by quite a bit. I remember it as a child as common even if grinder was dominant. It was, however, turned into a Jello, Xerox, Kleenex, etc. type of term with the advent of Subway franchises across the country in areas that had never used it as a term.

Funny thing is my mom was born in Philly and grew up in the Mount Lebanon area of Pittsburgh but I have never heard her use "hoagie" in my life.

BTW, another term that has gone unmentioned but is used in some small areas for the same reason as subs is blimp. The chain Blimpie's came after the use of the generic form of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom