OT: The French Fry Debate | The Boneyard

OT: The French Fry Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw this on Bill Simmons' Facebook feed, thought it fed perfectly into some of the food threads here.

The Deepster's French Fry Power Rankings

1 - Garlic and Parmesan fries
2 - Pommes frites (traditionally cooked in duck fat)
3 - Truffle fries
4 - Shoestring fries
5 - Curly fries
6 - Regular french fry (think Wendy's size)
7 - Sweet Potato fries
8 - Crinkle Cut fries
9 - Waffle cut fries
10 - Steak fries (does anyone like these?)

Did I miss any others? I don't think things like chili fries should count. Or poutine. Those are more than a seasoning. They're a full blown ingredient dumped on top.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty solid list.

I am not a french fry snob, and in fact, I'm sort of the opposite (not implying anyone is a snob). I seldom eat 1-3, but i'm getting hungry just thinking about them.

I'd keep your top three just for the love of the way they sound.

I seldom eat steak fries, but I have fond memories of eating them at a place called the Ground Round as a kid and they were amazing.

Are potato wedges a french fry even though they don't include the word 'fry'? They are similar to steak fries I guess. Dumb question: they are a wedge.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Crinkle Cut(Nathan's) needs to be on there. You've got curly twice, maybe replace one of those. I'd say regular needs to be below waffle and sweet potato.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My oven-baked sweet potato fries and regular potato fries are the . Am experimenting with parsnips and so far so goooood.

On the fast food front its Five Guys with the most sinful that I have experienced.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Steak fries are great, but they need to be cooked ( fried) just right. Because of their size and thickness there is a very small window for perfection. When done right the combination of crisp on the outside and tenderness on the inside is sublime. They are also the fry most likely to burn the heck out of your mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saw this on Bill Simmons' Facebook feed, thought it fed perfectly into some of the food threads here.

The Deepster's French Fry Power Rankings

1 - Garlic and Parmesan fries
2 - Pommes frites (traditionally cooked in duck fat)
3 - Truffle fries
4 - Shoestring fries
5 - Curly fries
6 - Regular french fry (think Wendy's size)
7 - Sweet Potato fries
8 - Curly fries
9 - Waffle cut fries
10 - Steak fries (does anyone like these?)

Did I miss any others? I don't think things like chili fries should count. Or poutine. Those are more than a seasoning. They're a full blown ingredient dumped on top.
Although I more a sweet potato shoestring kind of guy now, I used to love the steak fries from a burger joint called Kelly's. Anyone remember them?

Reaction Score
My oven-baked sweet potato fries and regular potato fries are the . Am experimenting with parsnips and so far so goooood.

On the fast food front its Five Guys with the most sinful that I have experienced.

Agree about Five Guys. Went there when it first opened in Farmington because there was so much talk about the first rate burgers, but it was the fries that knocked me out...

Reaction Score
Disco fries (or taters) at Plan B. Trust me on this. It is the next best thing to a Poutine. I hope you all have had Poutine before???

Reaction Score
How is he going to make a French fry list and not have Poutine fries in there. I'm craving some Merkts cheddar fries as we speak. Also no chili cheese fries on the list, come on Simmons you are slipping.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
See number 2!

I missed that. So replace it with McD's original fries using the original beef tallow/oil recipe. McD's now has the worst fries of the major chains IMO.

Btw, curly fries suck. Twice even. The only seasoned fries I've ever enjoyed were ones with rosemary and ones with Old Bay. And not curly in either case.

Reaction Score
Steak fries are great, but they need to be cooked ( fried) just right. Because of their size and thickness there is a very small window for perfection. When done right the combination of crisp on the outside and tenderness on the inside is sublime. They are also the fry most likely to burn the heck out of your mouth.

Rein's has nice steak fries, and yes I burn my mouth every single time.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Rein's has nice steak fries, and yes I burn my mouth every single time.
Yes!!! Reins rules!

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Wendy's fries use to be better but they changed the cut. I'll still take those with 2 sweet and sour sauces. Jimmies of Savin Rock crinkle cut fries are addictive. Sweet potato fries can be annoying at times.

Reaction Score
Rudy's in New Haven's Authentic Belgian Frites w/ dipping sauces: Awesome w/ beers...

Reaction Score

This guy knows fries.

Reaction Score
For some reason the fries that always taste the best to me are the ones you get with your room service burger after a long flight when you're hating yourself for your lack of discipline and inability to order the garden salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom