OT: The Espys are Lame! | The Boneyard

OT: The Espys are Lame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seriously, why do these athletes get these awards. Aren't there already Titles, and MVP awards for their accomplishments. A glamorized red carpet awards show is the opposite of what I want out of sports. Wonder how long before the plug gets pulled on this thing. Reminds me of another over reach from ESPN productions, Dream Job. That overly self serious reality show about becoming an espn broadcaster. Espn broadcaster is not a bad job but my dream job, not quite.

Reaction Score
With all the recent news about layoffs and cutbacks at ESPN, I wonder how much money they would save if they got rid of this stupid award show.

Regarding Dream Job, I remember watching the first season of it in college and actually enjoying it. Well most of it - Stuart Scott couldn't have been more annoying as the show's host. Then I think they jumped right to "Celebrity" Dream Job in season 2 and I quickly gave up on it.

Reaction Score
Deadspin had a post about this

http://deadspin.com/the-espys-are-a-colossal-waste-of-money-814222548

With all the recent news about layoffs and cutbacks at ESPN, I wonder how much money they would save if they got rid of this stupid award show.

Regarding Dream Job, I remember watching the first season of it in college and actually enjoying it. Well most of it - Stuart Scott couldn't have been more annoying as the show's host. Then I think they jumped right to "Celebrity" Dream Job in season 2 and I quickly gave up on it.

Reaction Score
Deadspin had a post about this

http://deadspin.com/the-espys-are-a-colossal-waste-of-money-814222548[/quote]
I used to hate it, but I think ESPN has really toned down the self-promotion of it. I watched on and off last night because Hamm was hosting, he was ok and combined with flicking around it was mildly entertaining.

HOWEVER, If you did not see the presentation of the JimmyV award to the Hoyts you really missed something. That was worth having the show even if it is otherwise completely vain and self-indulgent.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
ESPN constantly bashed on this board. They are not the sole reason UConn is in a crap conference. Warde Manual and Suzy much more accountable, both azzclowns.

"You can lead a dunce to knowledge, but you can't make him think." - Mr. Wonderful

Reaction Score
Agreed. 7 million is a lot of money to put a pointless awards show on. Athletes are not going to the hall of fame based on number of ESPY's won. The only thing that means something is the Arthur Ashe award which is what Jimmy V won in 1993 and thats where his famous speech is from.

Reaction Score
The ESPYS have gotten worse and worse, this is when the ESPYS were good.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Seriously, why do these athletes get these awards. Aren't there already Titles, and MVP awards for their accomplishments. A glamorized red carpet awards show is the opposite of what I want out of sports. Wonder how long before the plug gets pulled on this thing. Reminds me of another over reach from ESPN productions, Dream Job. That overly self serious reality show about becoming an espn broadcaster. Espn broadcaster is not a bad job but my dream job, not quite.

Everybody likes their ego stroked. Especially famous people.

Yet, why the hell you philistines watch this is beyond me.

Reaction Score
If ESPN or some other company lays off people they don't make those decisions like this. So they have a 15 year running program and they are canceling for 1 year to save 50 apparently unnecessary jobs? Yeah, that's how business works. Too many people on this board work at the state or for local towns, no clue.

Agreed. 7 million is a lot of money to put a pointless awards show on. Athletes are not going to the hall of fame based on number of ESPY's won. The only thing that means something is the Arthur Ashe award which is what Jimmy V won in 1993 and thats where his famous speech is from.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
As soon as Ryan Hunter-Reay won "Best Driver" I lol'd. Sebastian Vettel is the 3-time defending F1 Champion and they pick Hunter Reay? US fans are stupid.

And Tiger is "Best Golfer" hahahahha

Reaction Score
I dont watch ANY award shows. Its just a bunch of wealthy people being told how great and superior they are. My gf is into some awards show and she cant figure out how i usually know which nominee is going to win. Its easy to pick the winner, just pick the sentimental or the "hot now" actor/artist/athlete and your right 90% of the time. Awards very rarely go to those who truly deserve them. Just ask Kemba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom