OT: The demon that is RPI | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The demon that is RPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this is your M.O. (redefining and then framing someone else's arguments along your own narrow parameters), but I'm not gonna let you do that here.

Asking to compare a win to a loss is irrelevant.

Sure there is a better chance of losing, but the reward of winning, IMO, outweighs the added risk of losing by a wide margin. Our existence in the AAC changes the way we need to schedule. The lower half of the AAC drags down our RPI so severely compared to the way things were in the Big East that every potential non-conference opponent needs to be scrutinized with an eye towards the chances that their RPI will be 250+. If the chances are good, then they can't be scheduled. Our margin for error here is very small, as the total lack of respect shown our league by the NCAA during tournament selection time has proven.

You're the one that wrote America East. Stony Brook is in America East. But go ahead and just converse with yourself.

Reaction Score
This is true. Still, this is less a problem if they won the games they should have.

If you do what I said in my previous post, and pair it with yours, our RPI jumps from 24 to 16 and our SOS is 28. Looking like a 3 or 4 seed.

That said, some of those are hard to nail. 212 was a CUSA team. While CCSU was easily a bad team, sometimes what you think will offset that (Georgetown, say) doesn't help as much as you think. Replace Georgetown with Seton Hall (who we thought Georgetown would be) and we jump 8 spots!

Heck, Stony Brook is 68 this year. We've played them in the past when they were in the low 200s

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You're the one that wrote America East. Stony Brook is in America East. But go ahead and just converse with yourself.
There are nine teams in the AEC, we played three of them, and Stony Brook wasn't one of them. Irrelevant.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The answer can't just be win and don't blow games. No kidding.

When we find ourselves in this crap league with the UCF, USF, ECUs of the world we simply have to game the system.

The difference in our RPI and our tournament odds from scheduling simply bad teams and not that worst in all of D1AA is stark.

Whether it's the bubble this year or the difference between a 3 seed and 6 seed next year they need to get their ass in gear on the OOC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We've obviously played Yale, Albany in the past. Yale we lost to. So it didn't help that year to schedule them, but it should help in the future.

Reality is, that should have been a strong RPI game that year.

As the better team, you have to win those games. So it helped to schedule them, UCONN just f--ed up and didn't hold up its end of the bargain.

Reaction Score
Reality is, that should have been a strong RPI game that year.

As the better team, you have to win those games. So it helped to schedule them, UCONN just f--ed up and didn't hold up its end of the bargain.

Agreed, but given that this sort of thing happens all over America with even the bluebloods, there's a risk in scheduling them. Just off the top of my head, Northern Iowa over North Carolina. This seems to happen regularly. Some top teams are going to lose to 100-150 RPI mid-majors. It's just a given.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed, but given that this sort of thing happens all over America with even the bluebloods, there's a risk in scheduling them. Just off the top of my head, Northern Iowa over North Carolina. This seems to happen regularly. Some top teams are going to lose to 100-150 RPI mid-majors. It's just a given.

Yup. The follow on is that, usually--it seems to my un-exacting eye anyway--the committee rewards taking those risks.

Reaction Score
Every now and then a team proves that the RPI system is totally up and needs to be junked. This year it's Princeton. They are 39 in the RPI with a 20-7 record and exactly 1 win over a team in the top 125 (Yale, at 43, who they split with). Next best wins are a sweep over 130 Columbia.

If you used only the RPI, they're a lock.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's not the problem. It doesn't help but it's not what hurts us.

Don't blow a 12 point lead against Temple. Play better down the stretch of games. That's what matters.

Losing to Temple, Cinci and Houston at home was inexcuable...period. That's the season right there. There is really no excuse for losing any home game to any non top-10 team.

Reaction Score
There are nine teams in the AEC, we played three of them, and Stony Brook wasn't one of them. Irrelevant.

And we've played AE teams in the past, like Boston U., that we benefited from. It is entirely relevant.

In 2013, Am East had 4 teams in the top 160, and UConn played 3 of them.

So, I suspect UConn will continue to play Am East and they will continue to have decent RPIs. Vermont, Stony Brook, New Hampshire, even UMass Lowell is at 260.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom