OT: The ACC takes NYC - by boat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The ACC takes NYC - by boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is all good. The ACC is sending a message to all (especially the B1G) that NYC is important to it also. Next one taken by either conference would have to be UConn.
If NYC is in play, then neither conference can ignore us much longer. Although you have to resent the fact that all of the Big East underachievers found homes while UConn languishes.

UConn is the only addition that made sense before and the clearly the only one that makes sense in the future. Let's hope that it is the B1G that calls. We would all love to thumb our noses at Swofford et al.

One thing remains constant, we have to get out of the gulag called the AAC pronto! Let's hope Manuel isn't asleep at the switch when the opportunity knocks.

Reaction Score
This is all good. The ACC is sending a message to all (especially the B1G) that NYC is important to it also. Next one taken by either conference would have to be UConn.
If NYC is in play, then neither conference can ignore us much longer. Although you have to resent the fact that all of the Big East underachievers found homes while UConn languishes.UConn is the only addition that made sense before and the clearly the only one that makes sense in the future. Let's hope that it is the B1G that calls. We would all love to thumb our noses at Swofford et al. One thing remains constant, we have to get out of the gulag called the AAC pronto! Let's hope Manuel isn't asleep at the switch when the opportunity knocks.

I think there is a potential opportunity for UConn as competition between the B1G and ACC - and Delany and Swofford for that matter - to have the most significant presence possible for a college conference in NYC heats up.
The talking heads are already playing up the competition. "Take Tw0: B1G, ACC battle for New York" - http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/79256/take-two-b1g-acc-battle-for-new-york

I think there is a potential opportunity for UConn as well with respect to expansion of the BTN. A quote of interest from the blog. "The Big Ten has made not only New York, but the entire northeast corridor its top priority in the next few years as it starts the process of negotiating what will be a massive new television contract. It will have a satellite office, most likely in New York, and Delany, a New Jersey native, knows the region and its power players extremely well. Although distribution for the Big Ten Network won't be easy, Delany gives us no reasons to doubt him. "

An article from two months I believe I may have posted before but I think worth another look. "ACC’s John Swofford, Big Ten’s Jim Delany still intertwined, decades after attending college together." http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...5_1_fraternity-house-jim-delany-john-swofford
"More jousting in store?
On Friday, as Swofford waited for his flight home to North Carolina, he said that his moves are never made in response to another conference’s actions, indicating that the grant of rights agreement was made with only the ACC’s well-being in mind.
Delany said his counterpart’s move was smart. “John’s tactic was a good one,” he said.
But others, including those who know both men, spent the following days speculating that, if the Big Ten hadn’t gotten involved with Maryland, Swofford never would have gone to such lengths to protect the ACC.
“People are competing hard, and people are doing the best for their team, and those guys – they don’t take that lightly,” said Charles Waddell, a former North Carolina football player who has worked for both men and now is the deputy athletic director at South Carolina. “They both play at a high level, and they’re both very, very smart. So you’re going to see some of the things, some of the innovative things coming out of both of those guys.
“People kind of expect it with Jim, because a lot of times he’s out in front of the parade. But John is, most of the time, where he wants to be.”
After so many years, their routes taking such twists and turns, Waddell said he doesn’t expect last week’s news to truly end realignment. It wouldn’t be in Delany’s nature to accept a loss without having something up his sleeve — especially when it was his former classmate who delivered it.
“He’s not going to stop thinking about it and how things can go,” Waddell said. “I would be surprised if this is the way things end up. I don’t know how it’s going to be done, but for some reason I don’t think this is the last move.”

It seems to me that Delany and Swofford are gleefully going to battle one another for NYC. My thought on this is that UConn has the potential to provide additional advantage to the B1G as it seeks a presence for the conference and network in "not only New York, but the entire northeast corridor". The B1G and ACC will likely try to battle it out for awhile with their current configurations but if the B1G finds "not only New York, but the entire northeast corridor" are difficult to capture perhaps your President and AD can be on the line to Delany sharing the merits of UConn as a reinforcement in the battle.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that Delany and Swofford are gleefully going to battle one another for NYC. My thought on this is that UConn has the potential to provide additional advantage to the B1G as it seeks a presence for the conference and network in "not only New York, but the entire northeast corridor". The B1G and ACC will likely try to battle it out for awhile with their current configurations but if the B1G finds "not only New York, but the entire northeast corridor" are difficult to capture perhaps your President and AD can be on the line to Delany sharing the merits of UConn as a reinforcement in the battle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/s...nders-starting-over-again.html?pagewanted=all

Rutgers was accepted into the Big Ten last fall, with the widespread belief that the conference wanted a foothold in the New York metropolitan area. But while intending no disrespect to Rutgers, Tranghese said: “A lot of people don’t understand what makes New York tick. The two schools with the biggest impact in the New York market have been Syracuse and Connecticut.”

Reaction Score
I think there is a potential opportunity for UConn as competition between the B1G and ACC - and Delany and Swofford for that matter - to have the most significant presence possible for a college conference in NYC heats up.
The talking heads are already playing up the competition. "Take Tw0: B1G, ACC battle for New York" - http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/79256/take-two-b1g-acc-battle-for-new-york

I think there is a potential opportunity for UConn as well with respect to expansion of the BTN. A quote of interest from the blog. "The Big Ten has made not only New York, but the entire northeast corridor its top priority in the next few years as it starts the process of negotiating what will be a massive new television contract. It will have a satellite office, most likely in New York, and Delany, a New Jersey native, knows the region and its power players extremely well. Although distribution for the Big Ten Network won't be easy, Delany gives us no reasons to doubt him."

If the ACC adds UCONN, they will most likely own NYC (Imagine UCONN, Syracuse, Duke, and North Carolina vying for a championship at MSG). Conversely, adding UCONN is the only way the B1G contends for NYC (Rutgers alone as an anchor would be over-shadowed by a UCONN, Syracuse, and ND presence). The ACC and B1G could choose to do nothing, but they put at risk a prize both value. UCONN is the tipping point for that prize.

The UCONN vs. Maryland game at Barclays should be treated as a dress rehearsal for a future NYC B1G Event. It would be great to have a large UCONN presence at the game. The UCONN versus BC/Indiana will also be an opportunity to show the world UCONN is an impact player when it comes to NYC. Yes, I'm talking basketball right now, because when it comes to sports in NYC, the abyss between *college* football and *college* basketball is a lot narrower than other parts of the country.

Reaction Score
If the ACC adds UCONN, they will most likely own NYC (Imagine UCONN, Syracuse, Duke, and North Carolina vying for a championship at MSG). Conversely, adding UCONN is the only way the B1G contends for NYC (Rutgers alone as an anchor would be over-shadowed by a UCONN, Syracuse, and ND presence). The ACC and B1G could choose to do nothing, but they put at risk a prize both value. UCONN is the tipping point for that prize.

The UCONN vs. Maryland game at Barclays should be treated as a dress rehearsal for a future NYC B1G Event. It would be great to have a large UCONN presence at the game. The UCONN versus BC/Indiana will also be an opportunity to show the world UCONN is an impact player when it comes to NYC. Yes, I'm talking basketball right now, because when it comes to sports in NYC, the abyss between *college* football and *college* basketball is a lot narrower than other parts of the country.

From the looks of it, the keys for NYC were handed to the ACC already - Pinstripe Bowl and MSG is probably gonna happen. B1G got Rutgers and MD so they have foothold in the Apple and working DC area. These two major conferences will be sitting back for a while and enjoying the ride. There is no pressure or motivation for them to do anything for the near or mid term, maybe even the long term.

Reaction Score
From the looks of it, the keys for NYC were handed to the ACC already - Pinstripe Bowl and MSG is probably gonna happen. B1G got Rutgers and MD so they have foothold in the Apple and working DC area. These two major conferences will be sitting back for a while and enjoying the ride. There is no pressure or motivation for them to do anything for the near or mid term, maybe even the long term.
You're talking outta your a**. The ACC isn't getting MSG.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only thing stopping em is Duke and Carolina wanting to keep it on Tobacco Road.

Duke would probably prefer NYC. They would have home court advantage against everyone but Syracuse and that would be 50-50.

Duke does not have some huge local fanbase in North Carolina. The students are generally from elsewhere and the local alumni from State and Carolina + branches overwhelm them in the triangle.

I lived in Raleigh and worked in Durham for a few years. NCSU has exponentially more fans when their team is even just decent.

Reaction Score
Duke would probably prefer NYC. They would have home court advantage against everyone but Syracuse and that would be 50-50.

Duke does not have some huge local fanbase in North Carolina. The students are generally from elsewhere and the local alumni from State and Carolina + branches overwhelm them in the triangle.

I lived in Raleigh and worked in Durham for a few years. NCSU has exponentially more fans when their team is even just decent.

In agreement about Duke. 85% of their students are from out-of-state (http://www.studypoint.com/admissions/duke/). I would even argue that most of their students today hail from North of the Mason Dixon line. Plus they are also tiny in terms of enrollment when compared to UNC and NCState.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom