OT-Texas firing AD Patterson | The Boneyard

OT-Texas firing AD Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After reading that sounds like that had a major falling out and he's prepared to wait it out and take the contract money on the way out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just marched into my boss' office and told him that if he wants to fire me now and give me a $5.6 million check I'll have my desk cleaned out by noon.

You have to be careful with stuff like this. If Strong doesn't survive this year you're not going to attract your top candidates to work for you. Who in their right mind would want to be a coach or AD at Texas now? You're gonna have to settle for your 4th or 5th choices (like they did with Strong).

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Who in their right mind would want to be a coach or AD at Texas now? You're gonna have to settle for your 4th or 5th choices (like they did with Strong).

I have been known to be wrong often but fairly confident if Texas came calling these guys, among others, would take that job -

Rhule
Fuentes
Diaco

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Chad Morris, Jim Montgomery, Tom Herman. In other words, all of the coaches that the AAC hired last offseason. There is far too much pressure to coach at Texas these days and in all honesty, the move by A&M to go to the SEC has probably catapulted them as being the top destination for recruits if they want to play in Texas.

I don't think Texas will become a superpower again until something happens with the B12. Either it expands to being a mega-conference while expanding its recruiting territories and markets or it implodes and Texas can find itself a new home with much more recruiting territories to introduce their brand to. Playing in the B12 and never leaving the state of Texas' orbit, except for a rare trip to Morgantown, has really hurt their recruiting.

Reaction Score
I have been known to be wrong often but fairly confident if Texas came calling these guys, among others, would take that job -

Rhule
Fuentes
Diaco

This is crazy

NONE of these guys are qualified for a job like Texas

Briles or Chad Morris or Gary Patterson or even Sumlin or Hermann.

You guys have to understand ... you need roots to the recruiting to succeed today.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This is crazy

NONE of these guys are qualified for a job like Texas

Briles or Chad Morris or Gary Patterson or even Sumlin or Hermann.

You guys have to understand ... you need roots to the recruiting to succeed today.

You nailed Jimmys post - the guys you named wouldn't be in their right mind to take the Texas job -

And I would politely disagree on Fuentes and his ability to recruit -

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...-memphis-loading-mississippi-talent/31794347/

Not too shabby considering his school is in Tennessee and Miss ST and Ole Miss have been trending up.

Reaction Score

Rhule
Fuentes
Diaco

I hope you are joking with that list. None of those guys would be one of the first 20 that Texas would call.

The list begins and ends with Gary Patterson.

Reaction Score
Mark it down. Next season the head coach of the Longhorns will be Chip Kelly.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I hope you are joking with that list. None of those guys would be one of the first 20 that Texas would call.

The list begins and ends with Gary Patterson.

Patterson wouldn't be in his right mind to take the Texas job.

You had said no one - and I don't know who is on your first 20 - so I wont comment further.

Reaction Score
Patterson wouldn't be in his right mind to take the Texas job.

You had said no one - and I don't know who is on your first 20 - so I wont comment further.

Well I qualified that statement by stating that Texas will likely have to settle for Plan D or E like they did with Strong.

For the record, I would take the Texas job for $5 million per year. But I'm not exactly expecting a phone call. I personally think Patterson would be nuts to take the job but he will be one of the first calls they make if Strong gets canned.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Well I qualified that statement by stating that Texas will likely have to settle for Plan D or E like they did with Strong.

For the record, I would take the Texas job for $5 million per year. But I'm not exactly expecting a phone call. I personally think Patterson would be nuts to take the job but he will be one of the first calls they make if Strong gets canned.

You are pricing yourself out of the job with lack of recruiting ties....3.3 mil is more in align with your experience.

I would think plan D or E, even at Texas, might get you into hiring coaches from non P5 or Broyles award winning coordinators...but I don't think Strong is gone either way, this year.

Reaction Score
Chad Morris, Jim Montgomery, Tom Herman. In other words, all of the coaches that the AAC hired last offseason. There is far too much pressure to coach at Texas these days and in all honesty, the move by A&M to go to the SEC has probably catapulted them as being the top destination for recruits if they want to play in Texas.

I don't think Texas will become a superpower again until something happens with the B12. Either it expands to being a mega-conference while expanding its recruiting territories and markets or it implodes and Texas can find itself a new home with much more recruiting territories to introduce their brand to. Playing in the B12 and never leaving the state of Texas' orbit, except for a rare trip to Morgantown, has really hurt their recruiting.

Hasn't hurt TCU or Baylor. The problem isn't the conference, it has been the coaches. Mack Brown was past his prime and Charlie Strong is not a good fit for Texas as it seems he has better recruiting ties in Florida than Texas and he is a defensive coach without a top notch offensive coordinator.

The problems with recruiting haven't been the class rankings, it has been the production/development of the players. Texas has whiffed on so many QB recruits even though they were top rated. And the Texas QBs that they didn't offer is a who's who of college QBs.

Reaction Score
Texas, probably more than any job, needs a guy that is a fit with big money boosters associated with that job. If I was them Patterson or Art Briles would be the guys I tried to entice.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
famous alumns and others calling/hoping for Mack Brown as new AD

Source tells @FoxSports "Not sure it'll go thru, but there will be a big push for Mack (Brown) to become the next AD at #Texas."

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) September 15, 2015

Not long after the reports surfaced, former Texas players began campaigning for Brown on Twitter:

Would love to see @ESPN_CoachMack as Texas new Athletic Director

— Keenan Robinson (@KeenanRobinson1) September 15, 2015
@ESPN_CoachMack for AD

— Kenny Dwayne Vaccaro (@KennyVaccaro4) September 15, 2015
I agree with @KennyVaccaro4, @ESPN_CoachMack for new AD. Please let this happen

— kasey studdard (@Studdard64) September 15, 2015
Bring the legend back! @ESPN_CoachMack

— Case McCoy (@CaseMcCoy6) September 15, 2015

Reaction Score
If Texas truly wants to can Charlie Strong & wants to stay in house (with apologies to Bo Schembechler: "A Texas man will lead Texas"), there is only one candidate: Major Applewhite. He's been prepping for this opportunity all over the country since his playing days ended. (remember the year he was on the Syracuse sidelines?)
Hometown boy, former star qb, has the cred with boosters, brand name with Texas high school coaches.

Reaction Score
If Texas truly wants to can Charlie Strong & wants to stay in house (with apologies to Bo Schembechler: "A Texas man will lead Texas"), there is only one candidate: Major Applewhite. He's been prepping for this opportunity all over the country since his playing days ended. (remember the year he was on the Syracuse sidelines?)
Hometown boy, former star qb, has the cred with boosters, brand name with Texas high school coaches.
Coach he has to hope this is long in the past and is not brought up:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-student-trainer-bev-kearney-scandal/1886861/

Reaction Score

Texas is not hiring a first time HC. No chance.

Reaction Score
Dear Texas,

Let me be the first to recommend that you hire a rockstar as your next AD. His name is Warde Manuel and he can be reached c/o UConn Storrs CT. He will do a great job for you. If you're lucky he'll get you into the MAC. That boring old longhorn on the helmet? Warde will redesign it to look like a goat in a matter of weeks. And orange may be the new black but when the Big Guy gets through adding colors, I'm thinking a nice maroon trim, you won't recognize your team.

Hopefully yours
FS

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Dear Texas,

Let me be the first to recommend that you hire a rockstar as your next AD. His name is Warde Manuel and he can be reached c/o UConn Storrs CT. He will do a great job for you. If you're lucky he'll get you into the MAC. That boring old longhorn on the helmet? Warde will redesign it to look like a goat in a matter of weeks. And orange may be the new black but when the Big Guy gets through adding colors, I'm thinking a nice maroon trim, you won't recognize your team.

Hopefully yours
FS

Go back into whatever foxhole you've been hiding in.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Thread derailed with absolute nonsense. Why am I not surprised?

Reaction Score
;)
Dear Boneyard Mojo Gods,

Please let there be one week of peace on these boards without Palatine or Freescooter hijacking threads and making things all about themselves.

I pray this in Fishy's name,
Amen

I never believed you were an atheist!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members