OT: Test #553B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #553B

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..The Elias Cup is associated with what sport?

15..Borrowed from Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto are these 2 pop songs: ?

16.."She's a Maniac" comes from what movie? Singer? Actress?

17..In past week gas and oil have been cut off due to violence in what land?

18..The 30's actress especially known as successful scientist/inventor, and one of her movies?

19..In a recent comic strip, "Are you trying to gaslight me?" Explain the reference.

20..Highest peak in S. America?

21..Michael Crichton writes of an 1865 occurrence(?) and the 3 movie villains?

22..Public banks, where govts place their money are nowadays in only 1 state(?).

23..Who was "Jo" in the 1933 movie? "Jo" in 1949? "Jo" in 1994, and right now on PBS?

24..Best seller: The W in the W by A. J. ____.

25..The famous person Arthur Bremer shoots?

Keep you eyes on your own paper or it's the principal's office.

Keep your eyes on your own paper

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
16. Flashdance. Michael...something...damn. :(

Reaction Score
16. Ha. I'm pretty sure this is Flashdance, which makes the actress Jennifer Beals. No idea who the artist was.

19. To gaslight someone is to falsely convince them of their own craziness. Usually referencing someone telling a brazen lie and trying to make it reality. Not unlike certain things happening in our society. Pretty sure its a reference to an old movie where a husband did it to a wife. Have not seen the movie. It might be called "Gaslight?"

23. This is cultural osmosis only, but pretty sure Katharine Hepburn 1933; Maybe Wynona Rider 1994 - pretty sure it was her vehicle? I'm aware there is a PBS version, but like all the others have not watched.

Reaction Score
15. "Full Moon and Open Arms" is one. Don't know the other.

18. Hedy Lamar (more of a 40's actress probably) - "Algiers" and "Sampson and Delilah"

20. Aconcagua

23. Katherine Hepburn in 1933, June Allyson in 1949, don't know the others.

24. Wind in the Willows by A.A. Milne

Reaction Score
14. amateur golf
15. A Lover's Concerto, ???
16. Flashdance, Jennifer Beals(actress), Mike Sambollo(sp?)(singer)
17. Hawaii
20. It is probably in Chile
22. the District of Columbia
25. George Wallace

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
18..Hedy Lamarr; Tortilla flat

19..Gaslight was a noir film in which the husband (Charles Boyer) tried to convince the wife (Ingrid Bergman) she was crazy.

20..Aconcagua

21..The Great Train Robbery; ???

23..Katharine Hepburn; don't know; Winona Ryder; don't know.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
14.. The Elias Cup is awarded to the winners of the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) League. Eddie Elias was a lawyer and agent for sports and entertainment personalities. Among bowlers he is revered. Even though I am a bowler, I tend to believe Eddie was creating a new market for his skill set. he organized and founded the PBA. He was president of the PBA for quite a while and managed to make it the top TV sport at one time.

16.. "She's a Maniac" comes from Flashdance. Singer was Irene Cara. Actress was Jennifer Beals. (The Mrs.)

18.. Hedy Lamarr with her co-inventor (?) addressed radio control of torpedos to insure their accuracy. The Navy did not use their idea because it used paper rolls which made it too cumbersome to integrate into a torpedo. It frequency hopped between 88 frequencies while insuring synchronization between sender and receiver (the really hard part). They were ahead of their time. They needed electronics. Apparently her co-inventor played the piano thus 88 frequencies. They developed their idea to the point it was patented. However, its real value was not appreciated until the patented expired. Their invention in electronic form is use in GSM, WiFi, and even Bluetooth communications. Neither received a penny for use of their patent.

OH YEAH! The movie thing! Don’t know the title but supposedly it was the first time an actor was seen nude, totally nude, on the silver screen. A babe nerd! :D

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
15..It's OK to listen for the second one. Ed4 taps one. You want the stuff following the 1st movement.

21..Follow Big's offering here.

24..Ed4 is counting on my getting one initial wrong. I didn't, but he's uncovered a remarkable coincidence.
You are looking for a novel on TODAY'S best seller list. Give Mrs. SVC a PM.

23..PBS...Now about the current Jo on PBS... Her dad's well known and starred in those 3 recent Sunrise/Sunset movies.
First name is in the discussion of UConn's GOAT.

17..Coming from a deadly border skirmish that is likely to continue.

22.From time to time we hear that gov't want to change its name.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
16. Loved Flashdance, played and watched it when I was a theatre Manager in Jersey City. Irene Cara sang the song "Flashdance - What a Feeling", I don't think she sang the one in question. I don't know who did.
19. I read the comics too. I don't remember them. I remember whoever it was said to didn't know what gaslighting was, no idea of the strip.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Now just a darn minute, SVC. What about Andy Varipapa and Don Carter? Let's not be dismissive. Perhaps if you did more to embrace the sport's history, you'd improve your 130 average.

15..VAUC knows that extra effort is sometimes required to be a good test taker. Eric Carmen wrote and recorded this, but his soft voice undermines the heroic nature of this song. So I give you Celine.

16..No, not Irene on this one. VAUC shows up again helping us out.

17..Israeli fire has damaged facilities for transmitting gas and oil to Gaza.

18..It is true, SVC, but her private parts were carefully screened by fauna. So you can end your search. No payoff for you.

19..Game & Big have studied this flic, which is why both their wives are in the sanitarium.

20..Ed4 and Big are our mountineers...at least that's what they'd have you believe.

21..Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland, Lesley Anne Downs.

22..North Dakota

23..Maya Hawke

24..The Woman in the Window by A.J Finn

25..VAUC has it--George Wallace.

Hope I remember post time is 6:45. I missed the Ky Derby, cause my memory sometimes sucks.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
18..It is true, SVC, but her private parts were carefully screened by fauna. So you can end your search. No payoff for you.

"her private parts were carefully screened by fauna" and why is it you are so sure? :rolleyes: Perhaps your search skills need to be updated. :D

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
"her private parts were carefully screened by fauna" and why is it you are so sure? :rolleyes: Perhaps your search skills need to be updated. :D

Actually I'm sure they weren't. But they were screened by flora.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom