OT: Test #550B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #550B

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14.."Her voice was soft and cool. Her eyes were clear and bright, but.."? And whose hit?

15..Where exactly is the Bodleian Library?

16..Explain the Monte Python's Dead Parrot routine.

17..What the French call "sea sick"?

18..In 2017 what small African nation became the first to legalize medical pot?

19..We know John Luther Jones as ..? And his heroics?

20..A cultural anthropologist's report of a people is known as an ___________.

21..The 1707 Kingdom of Great Britain declaration principally did what?

22..The only monkey species on Gibraltar?

23..In 2000 who knocks out Michael Grant in a heavyweight championship fight?

24..The 2 main actresses in 1959's ANATOMY OF A MURDER?

25.."The girls will all pursue ya. They love to get.."?

Time now to pursue aerobics at the tennis table.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
14. "..she's not there." The Zombies, and a really nice cover by Santana
16. Oh, Lord: John Cleese tries to return the parrot he'd bought (Norwegian Blue, lovely plumage) to the pet shop, run by Michael Palin(?). The reason for the return is, the parrot is dead (pushing up daisies', passed on, ceased to be), and, in fact, had been dead when purchased. Palin convinced Cleese that the lack of movement by said parrot, at purchase, was because it was "pinin' for the fjords". Besides the playing-a-ludicrous-premise-straight foundation that Python is known for, the sketch employs just about every euphemism for death that you can imagine.
17. Mal de Mer. Not mal de merde, which would be something else, entirely.
22. Barbary Ape?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
16. You either get it or you don't. There is no explaining Monty Python.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
14.. She's Not There by The Zombies

15.. U of Oxford – Thank you Mary Russell via Laurie R, King

16.. “It’s not dead, it’s resting” Repeat several times. “It’s stunned. You stunned it.” “You want a slug” “I wanted to be a lumberjack.” Sing the Lumberjack song. A song ahead of its time. There you go. Now you have the gist.

17.. Mal de mer - Thank you Hercule Poirot now drink your tisane.

25.. Brylcreem Commercial – their hands in your hair

Last edited:
Reaction Score
15..Oxford UK

16..A customer attempting to return a (Norwegian Blue) parrot that was apparently already deceased (ceased to be, gone on to meet its maker, kicked the bucket, in short an ex-parrot) when the customer bought it. I think Eric Idle was the proprietor and John Cleese the customer.

17..mal de mer (?)

Reaction Score
14. She's not there. The Zombies
15. University of Oxford
17. Mal de mer?
22. Barbary Macaques

Reaction Score
16. Man buys parrot from pet shop. Man comes back to pet shop to complain that he was sold a dead parrot. Pet shop owner disagrees. Hilarity ensues.

21. Formally unite England and Scotland into a single Kingdom.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
14..She's Not There, the Zombies

15..University of Oxford

16..John Cleese is returning a Norwegian blue parrot (Lovely bird, the Norwegian blue, BEAUTIFUL plumage!) to the pet shop where he bought it. Michael Palin is the one who sold it to him. Palin keeps denying it's dead, leading Cleese to keep voicing his denials. Cleese got the idea for the sketch when it occurred to him how many synonyms/euphemisms there are for the word "dead".

17..Mal de mer

22..Barbary apes (not apes, but macaques)

Reaction Score
14. She's Not There - the Zombies
18. Benin
25. to get their fingers in your hair - Brylcream commercial/jingle

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14.. She's Not There by The Zombies

15.. U of Oxford – Thank you Mary Russell via Laurie R, King

16.. “It’s not dead, it’s resting” Repeat several times. “It’s stunned. You stunned it.” “You want a slug” “I wanted to be a lumberjack.” Sing the Lumberjack song. A song ahead of its time. There you go. Now you have the gist.

17.. Mal de mer - Thank you Hercule Poirot now drink your tisane.

25.. Brylcreem Commercial – their hands in your hair

15..I too learned of the Bodleian through Ms. King. If your source was her DREAMING SPIES, then the info that answers Q7
is in that novel also.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
15..I too learned of the Bodleian through Ms. King. If your source was her DREAMING SPIES, then the info that answers Q7
is in that novel also.

Raw wood, charred wood as a protection against the elements, mats, sunken space between the front door and where shoes are placed, a structure not unlike a smallish wrap around porch, screens and sliding doors, strong tie to nature such a natural light and wood and landscaping

I don’t know why I was too lazy to think of an answer particularly since at one time I worked at Oracle Corp. The COB, Larry Ellison, was fixated on all that is Japanese. His house (well one of them) and its grounds looked as though it was in Japan. In fact he had used several Japanese artisans to insure the construction was authentic. We all followed the construction of “Uncle” Larry’s house. By the way he typically wears Japanese garb at home at least until he married for the nth time. I am fairly sure much of his approach to business is directly from the Art of War attributed to the ancient Chinese military strategist Sun Tzu. It was ever present on his office desk at Oracle. And yes, I did read Dreaming Spies. When I read your question it was the first thing that came to mind. The charred wood technique I learned from watching “Fixer Upper.” Chip Gaines may be bit daft but he does seem to know his construction techniques. He used this Japanese charred wood technique on a house boat for better protection and lower maintenance.

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
14.."She's Not There" the Zombies.

16..John Cleese attempts to return a parrot to the pet store as it was dead when purchased. The shop owner refuses to accept that the Norwegian Blue is dead and claims it only resting. It then is revealed that the parrot is only on the perch as it was nailed there. Discussion continues until the owner agrees to replace it with another creature.

17..Mal de mer

21..Unified the governments of Scotland and England.

22..Barbary Macaques - it is said that as long as the monkeys are there, Britain will retain control of Gibraltar.

23..Lennox Lewis

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
21. As others said, unified Scotland and England, but I also think probably set up the succession to the Hanovers. Don't know that, but suspect it. Didn't want the Stuarts, Old Pretender, Young Pretender or whomever to become King.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..There's a Pinot Quintet who can't say, "Well no one told me about her".

15..The Cajun Quartet. Note to the out-of-place SVC: While your minutiae on Japanese construction
is a thing of beauty, it is not geared to a response to shaky ground. See Rocket and my answer to Q7.

16..The Rocket Sextet with nothing better to do in the 70's then to try to brighten their lives with inanity.

17..K9's got a 5-piece ensemble with touchy stomachs.

18..Why don't you know what's going on in Lesotho? Afraid of enriching your lives?

19.."Come all you rounders, if you wanna hear
The story of a brave engineer." An Aussie tale.

22..Rocket, K9 and Big highlight their ancestors.

20..Ethnography

21..Hear Game, Rocket and Knights vocalize, "Reunited and it feel so good. Reunited cause we understood.
There's one perfect fit.?

23..See that punch-drunk Rocket.

24..And, ed4, if your taste went that way, you could also have chosen Our Miss Brooks.

25..We're ever grateful for the Aluminny correction. "Hands", SVC, sounds so clunky in comparison, don't you think?

I'm assigning you a B-. Can you improve that on Q19?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom