OT: Test 338B | The Boneyard

OT: Test 338B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..The actress who was the ex-wife and hospital attorney on "House"?

15.."Lately I find you're on my mind ____ ____ ___ ____."

16..Washington's attack on the Hessians, after his boat ride, was in what city?

17..These 2 US cities(?) have vied over the years for the largest USA area.

18..Where in these times was the Gadsden Purchase?

19..Al Gore has sold his TV station to..?

20..Hamas counterpart in Lebanon?

21..Your Skippy Peanut Butter is becoming the property of ______ Foods.

22..He(?) recently gave up his citizenship, moved to Belguim, then accepted
an invitation for citizenship offered by Putin.

23..David Archer, at 30, is the youngest Div 1 football coach. Where?

24..It wasn't the New Deal, nor the Great Society, but the..? to Truman.

25..Some Congressmen don't see Chuck as prime. Explain.

I'm competing for your time vs. the NFL, big games in wcbb, tonight's
Australian Open onset and, of course, Downton Abbey. Whew.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
16. Trenton, I think
17. Jacksonville, FL is often up there, and, for some odd reason, I think Juneau, Alaska is, as well.
18. Very late 1800's, I think, along the southern AZ border.
19. Al-Jezeera
25. Pres. Obama's nominee to suceed Leon Paretta, I think. Former Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, Vietnam vet, and occassionally outspoken on US military & foreign policy. I believe he has, in the past, made somewhat derogatory comments regarding an ambassador's sexual orientation, and "the Jewish lobby" in regard to US policy in Israel.

Reaction Score
18. 1856 if I remember high school history, and it forms the southern border of New Mexico andArizona.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
16. Trenton
17. Phoenix??? and LA???
18. Southern Arizona and New Mexico purchased just before the Civil War.
19. Al Jazeera, the muslim terrorist apologist news
20. Hezbollah
22. Some French actor
25. Chuck Hagel

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
21. It is being acquired by Hormel, the makers of Spam. A peanut-butter-and-Spam sandwich, anybody?
22. Gerard Depardieu, who is leaving France because of the government's plan to impose a 75% marginal tax rate on incomes.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
21. It is being acquired by Hormel, the makers of Spam. A peanut-butter-and-Spam sandwich, anybody?
Nope. Spam musubi from a 7-11.

Reaction Score
17. Suffolk Va and Oklahoma City OK
17. Suffolk VA and Los Angeles CA
18. Oregon
20. Hezbollah
25. They oppose Chuck Hagl's nomination as Secretary of Defense

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Nope. Spam musubi from a 7-11.
Spam Musubi...isn't that a Japanese car?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
17.I think Oklahome City is one.

Reaction Score
15. more than you know
17. Jacksonville and Oklahoma City
24. the square deal?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
14. Sela Ward
16 Trenton
17. Los Angeles and San Antonio???
18. Early 1900s. It's the southern tip of New Mexico and Arizona
24. Fair Deal

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
16. Trenton NJ.
17. I would assume LA would be one of them, it's pretty spread out.
19. Al Quada, or Al Jezeera , or Al somebody. (see the connection? Al Gore, etc.)
22. Gerard Depardeau. He's ok, I like Jean Reno better.

Reaction Score
17. Years ago it was LA and Oklahoma City. Not sure if it still is.
18. Gadsden Purchase was southern strip of Arizona and New Mexico. I believe it was bought because there was no other reasonable southern route for railroad construction.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, you got them all but one in part B.

14..Sela Ward

15..More Than You Know

16..Trenton

17..Jacksonville & Oklahoma City

18..Southern Ariz & N. M.

19..Al Jazeera (Vtc, as he often does, sneaks in an editorial. I suppose he thinks the US media is objective about the Middle East.)

20..Hezbollah

21..Hormel

22..Gerard Depardieu

23..Cornell

24..Fair Deal

25..Chuck Hagel faces a tough fight to be confirmed as Sec'y of Defense.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
17. According to Wikipedia the largest US cities are Sitka and Juneau - by a wide margin. Jacksonville comes in at #5 and OK City is #8. Anaconda and Butte, Montana are both larger than OK City.

21. Spam musubi is a snack food made from that pink meat product that no one admits to eating. It's bedded on sushi rice and wrapped with nori. It's sold in most convenience stores in Hawaii. If I'm eating musubi that means I'm in Hawaii. That's why it's a favorite.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
probably comes down to how you define "city", population-wise.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
probably comes down to how you define "city", population-wise.

Thass right ol Pinot; youse is one smart bear. The definition of "city" is: the qualities that Jacksonvile & Okla City have that those other pretenders don't.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The City and Borough of Juneau is a unified municipality located on the Gastineau Channel in the panhandle of the U.S. state of Alaska. It has been the capital of Alaska since 1906.

The City and Borough of Sitka, formerly New Archangel (Russian: Ново-Архангельск or Новоaрхангельск, t Novoarkhangelsk) under Russian rule,

Anchorage Alaska has a population of 292,000. Does that qualify as a city? Anchorage is significantly larger than either Jacksonville or OK City.

Butte /ˈbjuːt/ is a city in Montana, and the county seat of Silver Bow County, United States.[3 It is larger in area than OK City.

Anaconda, county seat of Anaconda City/Deer Lodge County, is located in mountainous southwestern Montana. The Continental Divide passes within 8 miles (13 km) south of the community with the local Pintler Mountain range reaching 10,379 feet (3164 m). According to the 2010 census the population is 9,328, with a per capita personal income of $21,163 and a median household income of $26,305. It is the ninth most populous city in Montana. It is larger in area than OK City.

Notice anything in common with the above listed cities? They all define themselves as cities, as does the Wiki listings for them. Since the original question didn't specify population parameters it seems that any city would qualify. In fact the way the question was written was misleading "cities(?)". The question mark seems to indicate that the correct answers might lead some to think that their identification as a city might be arguable. That's obviously not true for the cities you chose.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The City and Borough of Juneau is a unified municipality located on the Gastineau Channel in the panhandle of the U.S. state of Alaska. It has been the capital of Alaska since 1906.

The City and Borough of Sitka, formerly New Archangel (Russian: Ново-Архангельск or Новоaрхангельск, t Novoarkhangelsk) under Russian rule,

Anchorage Alaska has a population of 292,000. Does that qualify as a city? Anchorage is significantly larger than either Jacksonville or OK City.

Butte /ˈbjuːt/ is a city in Montana, and the county seat of Silver Bow County, United States.[3 It is larger in area than OK City.

Anaconda, county seat of Anaconda City/Deer Lodge County, is located in mountainous southwestern Montana. The Continental Divide passes within 8 miles (13 km) south of the community with the local Pintler Mountain range reaching 10,379 feet (3164 m). According to the 2010 census the population is 9,328, with a per capita personal income of $21,163 and a median household income of $26,305. It is the ninth most populous city in Montana. It is larger in area than OK City.

Notice anything in common with the above listed cities? They all define themselves as cities, as does the Wiki listings for them. Since the original question didn't specify population parameters it seems that any city would qualify. In fact the way the question was written was misleading "cities(?)". The question mark seems to indicate that the correct answers might lead some to think that their identification as a city might be arguable. That's obviously not true for the cities you chose.

OK, you got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin