OT: Tennis (Rogers Cup) | The Boneyard

OT: Tennis (Rogers Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I can always be counted on to emerge from the woodwork, when Venus is having a good time.
Last night Venus took on the German heavyweight Angelique Kerber, and the match was a doozy,
with Venus emerging as victor in a tiring 3-setter. And there will be no day off, as she takes the court later today in a quarterfinal vs. Carla Navarro, who dispatched Sharapova in straight sets.

In a match that just ended, sister Sereena and the Woz went to a 3rd set, with Serena grabbing a 7-5 result to settle who would be in the semis, vs. either Venus or Carla.

Go to ESPN2 to watch Venus' match start shortly.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Venus off to a good start, match last night was off the charts.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doesn't have the feel of a usual V vs S match.
They haven't played each other in a few years.
Really competitive.
No quarter given.
The both really want to win.
In the old days, when they played each other a lot
some of their matches seemed questionable.Not this one.
Go Venus.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Venus leading in the 2nd set
She may not win
but at this moment, on this court,
you're again looking at the top 2 female players in the world.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If one is a big fan of a sports figure, if one holds her in high admiration, it's a stupendous feeling to witness her do well-particularly after adversity.
During Wimbledon, where Kvitova blew Canada's Bouchard off the court in the final , Venus had every opportunity in an early round to win her own match vs. Kvitova, but she faltered, looking like the belief in herself (even on grass) was not quite there.
In this tournament, however, these recent years of coping with Sjogren's syndrome with fitting diet and exercise, she looks like a champion again. I'm just ecstatic over her (I hope) 2nd career. Venus over Serena, 6-7, 6-2.6-3.:)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Last night and this afternoon Venus played two of the best matches of her career, at least in many years.
And against Serena this afternoon, her shotmaking was even better, her errors fewer, her serve yet more dominant.
her aggressiveness on the ground, ferocious.
Almost no sign of fatigue.

She wanted this win and badly. Lil Sis has gotten mighty uppity.
And even at the end, there were not the usual, hugs and kisses, a brief embrace from Serena and off the vanquished went,
to the tunnel where losers go.
It's wonderful to see this fine woman discover the fountain of youth.
Today was very special.

Reaction Score
Omggggoshhh I cant believe I missed them playing!!! Im sooooooo mad now!! From the comments Venus must have been playing tremendous! I was extremely young when they started to play and fell in love with them early! Ive always been a Serena fan through and through but im SO happy for Venus! With what she's battled through im glad to see her come through with a win. Hopefully she wins the whole tournament! I really would like for her to win another major BUT Serena is chasing history and im really want her to win every one she enters lol

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Serena lightens up when she plays Venus, I hate when they play against each other

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Serena lightens up when she plays Venus, I hate when they play against each other

Maybe in the past some of their matches have been suspect, NOT YESTERDAY.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Omggggoshhh I cant believe I missed them playing!!! Im sooooooo mad now!! From the comments Venus must have been playing tremendous! I was extremely young when they started to play and fell in love with them early! Ive always been a Serena fan through and through but im SO happy for Venus! With what she's battled through im glad to see her come through with a win. Hopefully she wins the whole tournament! I really would like for her to win another major BUT Serena is chasing history and im really want her to win every one she enters lol

ON REPLAY, WATCH ESPN

8/09
1:00 PM EDT

2014 Emirates Airline US Open Series - Rogers Cup (Women's Semifinal #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom