OT: Tennis news | The Boneyard

OT: Tennis news

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Thee Mutua Madrid Open is the most important lead-up to the French Open going on now.
Serena is top seeded and won her opening match in straight sets.

Our 17 year old Madison Keys was studying algebra (but was on site) when she got notified that a withdrawal opened up a place for her. She rushed to the court and promptly knocked out 5th ranked Na Li in two sets. This was Madison's 1st victory over a top ten player.

A new documentary called "Venus and Serena" is opening in theaters this week, at least in Manhattan.
I don't know about its availability elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Wirechief: Did you read about Sloane's comments about Serena?

What do you think?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I read that they went back to red clay for Madrid after last year's blue.

Dunno - I kind of liked the blue.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
More tennis news...of the archive variety. Sixty year old Jimmy Conners has penned an autobio, which is due out in a few days. Apparently Chris Evert got hold of an advance copy. You may recall she and Jimmy were once an item. Anyway she reacted publicly that Jimmy has revealed she once got an abortion, but he was against it. They broke up. She's really ticked off.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
More tennis news...of the archive variety. Sixty year old Jimmy Conners has penned an autobio, which is due out in a few days. Apparently Chris Evert got hold of an advance copy. You may recall she and Jimmy were once an item. Anyway she reacted publicly that Jimmy has revealed she once got an abortion, but he was against it. They broke up. She's really ticked off.
Well she can be ticked off all she wants - if it's the truth, for better or worse, there's zero she can do about it (can't sue for libel if someone speaks the truth). I like Chrissy. Regardless of whether or not she had an abortion, it obviously wouldn't change my opinion of her.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm with Chrissy on this one. The very brief excerpt I read of the incident is unfair to Chrissy; moreover, given the nature of the incident, I think it's pretty selfish/inconsiderate of him not to discuss its disclosure with her first.

Reaction Score
I liked the color too, but most of the players, especially on the men's side, felt it was too slippery. Nadal and Djoko both referred to it as nearly unplayable.

Some of the players did not.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I'm with Chrissy on this one. The very brief excerpt I read of the incident is unfair to Chrissy; moreover, given the nature of the incident, I think it's pretty selfish/inconsiderate of him not to discuss its disclosure with her first.

Playing devil's advocate...Jimmy was the dad and apparently wanted a life as a family. He could genuinely think it cruel of Chris to wipe that away.

Reaction Score
I definitely would respect that perspective....but that's not how he portrayed it. He basically blamed Chrissy, as if she gave him no choice and he was just a helpless victim in her tyranny. I can imagine that Chrissy had made a decision, but I highly doubt that he absolutely could not have at least discussed the matter with him before it happened. She was 19 (and he 22 at the time).

And it still doesn't change his decision to air such a private, presumably painful for both parties,. plus their loves ones, over 30 years later without asking her about it first.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Here's the original story: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/sloane-serena-shes-not-friendly/47336/#.UYfusqKG2QA

ESPNW just published the full article: http://espn.go.com/espnw/9227331/sl...ng-more-beating-serena-williams-espn-magazine

Basically, Sloane calls out Serena for not being very friendly or genuine.

My opinion, for what it's worth: I think Sloane's comments are probably accurate, but I'm not sure if airing them, particularly right now, was appropriate.
everyone says she's not friendly... nothing new, Sloane thinks she deserve a pass?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here's the original story: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/sloane-serena-shes-not-friendly/47336/#.UYfusqKG2QA

ESPNW just published the full article: http://espn.go.com/espnw/9227331/sl...ng-more-beating-serena-williams-espn-magazine

Basically, Sloane calls out Serena for not being very friendly or genuine.

My opinion, for what it's worth: I think Sloane's comments are probably accurate, but I'm not sure if airing them, particularly right now, was appropriate.

Serena is her competitor, not her sister. If Sloane were less talented then Serena would probably be cozier with her, but the girl can play and is a major competitor and I don't think Serena wants to care a lot about ANOTHER player that she would feel bad about beating.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Playing devil's advocate...Jimmy was the dad and apparently wanted a life as a family. He could genuinely think it cruel of Chris to wipe that away.
Chris would have been in the prime of her career. Having a child at that time would have been incredibly challenging.

I think the biggest issue is that Connors thought this was appropriate to write about without apparently even a heads up. This is a very sensation and private topic.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Serena and Maria... NOW PLAYING (Serena up a set, tied 3-3 in the 2nd)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Tennis Channel is now re-broadcasting the final, to begin momentarily (12:05 p.m. EDT)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That was a fun match to watch if you are a Serena fan. I can't stand seeing Sharapova vs. Azarenka. It's really not necessary to scream that much every time you hit the ball.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I really dislike the screaming...and I can't stand what Conners did, either. I know they aren't related, but they are both really annoying....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dont have a problem with the "screaming" if it helps with your power to put the ball in the right place.

strange that Maria hasn't overcome Serena after all these opportunities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown