OT: Temple's quest for an on-campus stadium is moving forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Temple's quest for an on-campus stadium is moving forward

Reaction Score
That's cool and all, but imagine how much cooler it has to be to drive to campus from Carriage, park in a garage and walk to the Union, and hop on a yellow school bus and ride 35 minutes to a deserted airfield disguised as a football stadium with no amenities and a cheap DJ.

All in the service of old alumni who think you're bad fans!

Reaction Score
That's cool and all, but imagine how much cooler it has to be to drive to campus from Carriage, park in a garage and walk to the Union, and hop on a yellow school bus and ride 35 minutes to a deserted airfield disguised as a football stadium with no amenities and a cheap DJ.

To be fair, I like Rentshler as a stadium.

It just would have been so much cooler if they had built it on horse barn hill.

Reaction Score
93 thousand people smack dab in the middle of campus, hardly a parking spot in sight.

Best college football experience around, I would highly recommend going to anyone who hasn't been!

A group of friends and I meet in Menphis and travel to a game a year. Last year we went to Auburn vs Ole Miss. That was pretty surreal how chill it was, 0 stupidness after the win. Just kids running around and families having a good time.

We've tagged Georgia vs Auburn as the game this year. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
A group of friends and I meet in Menphis and travel to a game a year. Last year we went to Auburn vs Ole Miss. That was pretty surreal how chill it was, 0 stupidness after the win. Just kids running around and families having a good time.

We've tagged Georgia vs Auburn as the game this year. Can't wait.

You won't regret it!

That is a fun rivalry.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Exactly. SEPTA station literally drops you at Temple's door step
I understand SEPTA, but tailgates are an essential part of football. I could stop by Crown Friend Chicken, get a bag to go and sit on a sidewalk on Broad St...........I guess.

Reaction Score
I understand SEPTA, but tailgates are an essential part of football. I could stop by Crown Friend Chicken, get a bag to go and sit on a sidewalk on Broad St......I guess.

This is where a tailgate service like UConn, Auburn etc offers could come in real handy.

Reaction Score
I understand SEPTA, but tailgates are an essential part of football. I could stop by Crown Friend Chicken, get a bag to go and sit on a sidewalk on Broad St......I guess.

Not sure when the last time you were on/near campus but there are quite a few surface lots within three/four/five campus blocks (btwn Broad and 9th) of the proposed site.

Heck they might be closer than the end of the Red lot @ the Rent.;)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Not sure when the last time you were on/near campus but there are quite a few surface lots within three/four/five campus blocks (btwn Broad and 9th) of the proposed site.

Heck they might be closer than the end of the Red lot @ the Rent.;)
It's been a few years since I did a drivethrough of N Broad and a solid 15 years since I lived there. Regardless of the number of lots, my point remains that SEPTA is really only relevant if you don't want to tailgate or you have a tailgate group that you're going to meet up with.

Reaction Score
It's been a few years since I did a drivethrough of N Broad and a solid 15 years since I lived there. Regardless of the number of lots, my point remains that SEPTA is really only relevant if you don't want to tailgate or you have a tailgate group that you're going to meet up with.

Understood. My bad... in my haste to head out, I failed to attach @TheDrifter75 ’s post about “tailgate service companies” above your quote so my reply made more sense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have you ever been there? I have. Good luck. I can’t wait to see 40000 cars on the Shurekill Expressway and Broad Street. And we all think Storrs is a traffic bottleneck.
You do realize that Philadelphia has a mass transportation system, right?
( And why in gods name would 40,000 cars and up on the Schuykill? Temples not near it.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
( And why in gods name would 40,000 cars and up on the Schuykill? Temples not near it.)
That same transit system goes to the football, baseball and hockey stadiums. If you have ever been there you Might remember giant parking lots filled to overflowing and jams on the expressways. There are actually better highways down there than at a Temple and it isn’t in the middle of a heavily populated area like Temple although to be fair, it butts up to a populated area.
All of this pro football on campus stadium discussion at Temple is nuts. As I said in a previous post, that talk has been going on for at least 40 years. With all of the litigation that will develop when plans to condemn local housing and businesses for construction are announced, this is at least 10 years in the future.

Reaction Score
How do you think you get to Broad Street from the burbs? The Surekill is one of the major arteries into the city from the North . The

Reaction Score
With all of the litigation that will develop when plans to condemn local housing and businesses for construction are announced, this is at least 10 years in the future.

They already own all the property for the footprint of the stadium... no need to acquire/condemn any local housing/businesses.

Now if you want to argue noise/litigation about game-day impact that would be a fair point but it will not stop the project. First game on campus in under 4 years.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Interesting artist rendering. Where do they park where he cars?
Temple has been moving forward with an “ on campus” stadium since we lived there 40 years ago.
They followed the SMU model: beautiful on campus stadium with no parking.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait to see 40000 cars on the Shurekill Expressway and Broad Street. ... The Surekill is one of the major arteries into the city from the North .
Schuykill to Surekill? No pun intended regarding some areas nearby Temple's campus?
They followed the SMU model: beautiful on campus stadium with no parking.
One potential difference: Maybe some more Temple fans will actually go into their games versus tossers just showing up in hopes of being seen or inexplicably impressing someone on SMU's tailgate boulevard.

Reaction Score
Schuykill to Surekill? No pun intended regarding some areas nearby Temple's campus?
One potential difference: Maybe some more Temple fans will actually go into their games versus tossers just showing up in hopes of being seen or inexplicably impressing someone on SMU's tailgate boulevard.
The natives call the expressway Surekill, not the neighborhood.

Reaction Score
They already own all the property for the footprint of the stadium... no need to acquire/condemn any local housing/businesses.

Now if you want to argue noise/litigation about game-day impact that would be a fair point but it will not stop the project. First game on campus in under 4 years.

You need to read some of the local newspapers re local opposition. It does wipe out some minority neighborhoods that have been coming back.

Reaction Score
You need to read some of the local newspapers re local opposition. It does wipe out some minority neighborhoods that have been coming back.

I’m quite familiar w/ all the issues and neighborhood. My son is a Senior @ Temple in Sports Mgmt and I have spent two and 1/2 years in North Philly doing some work w/ Temple Health Systems. There will be no neighborhood buildings that need to be knocked down. There will be game day impact but no “wiping out” of neighborhoods along W. Norris St. Look @ the maps...

Heck - the local high school on the back side of the proposed stadium will actually have the opportunity to raise money renting out their parking spaces for tailgating ala the school across from Michigan Stadium.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The natives call the expressway Surekill, not the neighborhood.
If you've ever driven you know why. :eek: It is an accident waiting to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom