OT - Taxes Done | The Boneyard

OT - Taxes Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll drink to that.

Sucks when you are self employed and run your own business. Having to pay quarterlies makes you realize just how much money you give to the government. Every single cent. I keep very good spreadsheets and records, I try to get it right on so I do not owe too much end of the year. Been doing it a while so I am used to it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's my head hurter on the tax code and deductions/credits.

My son turned 13 earlier this year. Which means I can't deduct any child care or summer camps as child care expenses for him. For anyone who has a teenager too young to join work force summer can be brutal. You don't want them sitting around the house all day but finding safe, productive activities cost a bunch. And no break.

On the other hand, you can now keep and deduct medical expenses for your kids up to age 26.

To me that's in reverse. Incentivize keeping youth active and and incentivize young adults to work towards a valuable degree that leads to a decent job with health care benefits.

Instead the incentive is to keep young kids holed up and then have them hang on as young adults.

And I need a drink too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stopped doing my own taxes almost 15 years ago after getting worried that the stress of pulling it all together at the last minute every year would kill me. Other than getting my dress shirts laundered, it's the best money I spend all year.

Reaction Score
Stopped doing my own taxes almost 15 years ago after getting worried that the stress of pulling it all together at the last minute every year would kill me. Other than getting my dress shirts laundered, it's the best money I spend all year.
I will agree with that. In fact, I am 37 and never have done my own taxes. The same company in CT does them for me every year and I moved to NC in 2004, I just mail them all my stuff. They have every filed every tax return since I was 16. Besides, my taxes are way to complicated now for me to even attempt.

Reaction Score
Here's my head hurter on the tax code and deductions/credits.

My son turned 13 earlier this year. Which means I can't deduct any child care or summer camps as child care expenses for him. For anyone who has a teenager too young to join work force summer can be brutal. You don't want them sitting around the house all day but finding safe, productive activities cost a bunch. And no break.

On the other hand, you can now keep and deduct medical expenses for your kids up to age 26.

To me that's in reverse. Incentivize keeping youth active and and incentivize young adults to work towards a valuable degree that leads to a decent job with health care benefits.

Instead the incentive is to keep young kids holed up and then have them hang on as young adults.

And I need a drink too.
You can't deduct medical expenses unless they are above a ridiculous threshold (thanks Reagan). You can keep a child up to age 26 on your health policy (thanks Obama).

Reaction Score
I tend to celebrate when I get my returns. I just would hate to get the dreaded audit letter.

I almost always owe several thousand to the Federal government and get back money from CT -- they have different methods of calculating AMT.

Of course this year the state botched my payment of Attorney Occupational Tax (that this is a thing is maddening) so I got a notice that they were offsetting that from my state refund (with interest and penalties on an amount that I paid on time in January). Spent 2 hours on the phone with DRS correcting their error. They didn't appreciate my suggestion that I receive interest and penalties on the amount they tried to steal from me.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I tend to celebrate when I get my returns. I just would hate to get the dreaded audit letter.

The IRS (in association with the NSA) has flagged this post for review.

Reaction Score
Where I live, I have been seeing a lot of identity theft issues regarding folks who went to file their taxes found out that someone else filed their taxes & collected their refund for them. Be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom