OT - Tax Assessments of Real Estate? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Tax Assessments of Real Estate?

Reaction Score
Not to be negative but: Don't spend the savings yet.
Each person I spent time with in court had the VERY same experience at the informal meeting and not one had an adjustment of more than 2% = most no adjustment at all.
Certainly, the folks I met with had no experience looking people in the eye and saying, "No" (justified or otherwise).
That said, hope your "friend's" experience is different. Watch for the mail and let us know.

UPDATE:
after 5 minutes of shuffling papers and small talk... the officials pulled out the history of the assessments and noticed that for the past 7yrs its always been in the 40's and now its suddenly in the 70's.

Everyone agreed that it was a huge spike. My "friend" was told that he'll get something in the mail within a couple weeks of their findings.

Process took no more than 15 minutes.

Be

Reaction Score
UPDATE: my "friend" met with the City Officials... surprised to be "sworn in". They read the complaint as it stated why such a big increase from 44 to about 73 and the home being assessed at 218K.

My "friend" was asked how much did they believe the house was worth if it was sold today, "friend" said $180k... whats the sq ft. under 1600, br?4 6 total rooms... Official says "wow that big" friend say depends on your size of BIG.

after 5 minutes of shuffling papers and small talk... the officials pulled out the history of the assessments and noticed that for the past 7yrs its always been in the 40's and now its suddenly in the 70's.

Everyone agreed that it was a huge spike. My "friend" was told that he'll get something in the mail within a couple weeks of their findings.

Process took no more than 15 minutes.

BTW I, I mean, my friend had estimates from Zillow, Trulia and a few other online Real Estate agencies. They asked for a few samples of my friend's evidence for their records.

It was an interesting process, strangely a lot of people don't contest these unless they don't see much change when they get the notice
We went through a similar experience this year too. They sent a notice that had reassessed our house as 70% higher than five years ago! We made an appointment for a phone call and I lost my cool for a bit. I offered to sell him my house if he thought it was worth that much.

Ultimately they wrote back a month later and dropped it to a 12% increase. I thought 10% was about right so I can live with that. Best of luck!

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
it may be weird if my "friend's" townhouse value/assessment rate goes down but others in the "complex" stay as is with the new assessment.

Assessments of similar units in the complex will remain identical. If the units have differences then they might diverge.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not to be negative but: Don't spend the savings yet.
Each person I spent time with in court had the VERY same experience at the informal meeting and not one had an adjustment of more than 2% = most no adjustment at all.
Certainly, the folks I met with had no experience looking people in the eye and saying, "No" (justified or otherwise).
That said, hope your "friend's" experience is different. Watch for the mail and let us know.
Yeah I agree... my friend left with no handshake or documentation stating the "win" and adjustment

Reaction Score
jump in value within a year... almost double the previous year? Does that effect the property taxes you pay each year (built into your mortgage payment)?

Has anyone ever appealed and won? If so, how did you fight it?

**Asking for a friend**

Usually the town won't/can't raise your assessment except at the conclusion of the five-year revaluation of all town properties. That only changes, I believe, if you have built on an addition, or in some way constructed some new feature on your property. Then, as part of the P&Z approval, they can change the valuation. Otherwise, it's supposed to stay put until after the 5-year reval.

The value of your property can go up precipitously if similar properties in your neighborhood have recently sold at a big increase, and that suggests that your property is similarly undervalued in terms of market price. Remember that your tax payment is based on the estimated market value of your property timex 70%. And the town's budget is divided into the collective valuation of all taxable properties in the town (less than half of all properties in New Haven and Hartford are taxable). So even if the value of the town's taxable properties goes up 50%, if the budget only goes up 3%, then the mill rate goes down. Of course, the tax you pay will go up by the factor of your property's valuation times the 3% budget increase.

There should be a board of appeals that hears your complaint regarding the large tax increase. Keep in mind that assessors do make mistakes. Often they don't go inside a property, but only guess from the outside. Sometimes they're off by using the wrong comparable property. So a significant percentage of appeals are successful.

But before going before the board of appeals, you should get "the card" on your property from the town clerk's office. That will show lots of information, including the basis upon which the change was made, the zone and sub-zone of your property, and a code for any factors that would diminish or enhance the value. Being close to a train line could be a factor reducing the assumed value.

About ten years ago, the "reval" was so messed up in Westport that the entire town had to do it over.

But try to have an off-the-record conversation with the assessor to find out their reasons for increasing your valuation before you make an appeal. It could be that other homes in your area sold for big increases. In Greenwich, for example, mega-mansions in what is called "back country," or northern Greenwich, though they cost an arm and a leg, have seen massive declines in their valuations. Homes once purchased for $7-10 million are now being sold for $3-5 million. Or less. On the other hand, small plots with average type homes south of Route 1 have risen in price. But the key is that it is all divided by the town budget. So the drop in valuations by the mega-mansions has to be made up by shifting the burden to the smaller middle-class or upper-middle class homes. So those neighborhoods have seen an inordinate increase in their valuations and mill rates.

Good luck. Even if the clerk sends you a letter with a lower valuation, you could still appeal that valuation. But you have to do it within a specified time period. Or else wait until the next year's appeal period.

Good luck. At least your house is going up in value, which is not the case with a lot of homes in our state. Doesn't help cash flow, and you'll get hit with the cap on SALT deductions recently implemented by the feds. But, oh well....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Usually the town won't/can't raise your assessment except at the conclusion of the five-year revaluation of all town properties. That only changes, I believe, if you have built on an addition, or in some way constructed some new feature on your property. Then, as part of the P&Z approval, they can change the valuation. Otherwise, it's supposed to stay put until after the 5-year reval.

The value of your property can go up precipitously if similar properties in your neighborhood have recently sold at a big increase, and that suggests that your property is similarly undervalued in terms of market price. Remember that your tax payment is based on the estimated market value of your property timex 70%. And the town's budget is divided into the collective valuation of all taxable properties in the town (less than half of all properties in New Haven and Hartford are taxable). So even if the value of the town's taxable properties goes up 50%, if the budget only goes up 3%, then the mill rate goes down. Of course, the tax you pay will go up by the factor of your property's valuation times the 3% budget increase.

There should be a board of appeals that hears your complaint regarding the large tax increase. Keep in mind that assessors do make mistakes. Often they don't go inside a property, but only guess from the outside. Sometimes they're off by using the wrong comparable property. So a significant percentage of appeals are successful.

But before going before the board of appeals, you should get "the card" on your property from the town clerk's office. That will show lots of information, including the basis upon which the change was made, the zone and sub-zone of your property, and a code for any factors that would diminish or enhance the value. Being close to a train line could be a factor reducing the assumed value.

About ten years ago, the "reval" was so messed up in Westport that the entire town had to do it over.

But try to have an off-the-record conversation with the assessor to find out their reasons for increasing your valuation before you make an appeal. It could be that other homes in your area sold for big increases. In Greenwich, for example, mega-mansions in what is called "back country," or northern Greenwich, though they cost an arm and a leg, have seen massive declines in their valuations. Homes once purchased for $7-10 million are now being sold for $3-5 million. Or less. On the other hand, small plots with average type homes south of Route 1 have risen in price. But the key is that it is all divided by the town budget. So the drop in valuations by the mega-mansions has to be made up by shifting the burden to the smaller middle-class or upper-middle class homes. So those neighborhoods have seen an inordinate increase in their valuations and mill rates.

Good luck. Even if the clerk sends you a letter with a lower valuation, you could still appeal that valuation. But you have to do it within a specified time period. Or else wait until the next year's appeal period.

Good luck. At least your house is going up in value, which is not the case with a lot of homes in our state. Doesn't help cash flow, and you'll get hit with the cap on SALT deductions recently implemented by the feds. But, oh well....
Thanks for the info. My "friend" also saw "extra features" on the notice for the first time. After finding out what are "special features" my friend said that shouldn't make the value go up from 44 to 73

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. My "friend" also saw "extra features" on the notice for the first time. After finding out what are "special features" my friend said that shouldn't make the value go up from 44 to 73

Yep, thought so. But keep in mind for your "friend" that property valuations are a matter of public record. Anyone can go to town hall and pull up anyone's "card" to find out how much it's worth in terms of the town's valuation, how many square feet, what improvements have been made, who bought it when for how much, whether an appeal was successful, etc. So your friend or anyone else's friend has little to hide, and even less that he/she can hide. It's all, as they say, "out there!"

Just curious, but what is this "44 to 73"? Can't be thousands, even in Bridgeport or some other high mill rate municipality. And the mill rate is set for the town, so unless the town nearly doubled its mill rate, can't be for that house. Just curious....

Reaction Score

Also shouldn't have a reval to raise the property tax unless those "extra features" were recently constructed, or else the town did its 5-year reval and "discovered" special features that it had missed before (often times a completed basement or attic made into a new bedroom that the assessor hadn't known about before. Usually the reval is done at mid-decade or end of the decade. So a reval in 2018 would be a bit odd, I should think.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Usually the reval is done at mid-decade or end of the decade. So a reval in 2018 would be a bit odd, I should think.

You were doing pretty well (not completely accurate but pretty well) to this point. That statement is just completely inaccurate and misleading.

Reaction Score
You were doing pretty well (not completely accurate but pretty well) to this point. That statement is just completely inaccurate and misleading.

OK. I'm willing to be enlightened. Please share with us. I admit that I don't have all of the answers.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
OK. I'm willing to be enlightened. Please share with us. I admit that I don't have all of the answers.

Cities and Towns are on a schedule which doesn't place all of the private sector revaluation support services into one or two years. So each year you will find some % of cities and towns are carrying out revaluations. Its not on year 5 and 10. And cities and towns may also carry out a Statistical Revaluation (SR). The SR doesn't require a site visit to a property. Full blown revaluations do require attempts to visit each property. I assume Daddy Choc's revaluation was a full blown revaluation.

None of us have all the answers, but some of us don't respond with incorrect information.

PS P &Z and its approval process can never, that's never change your property's And the "card" you mention is not in the Town Clerk's Office, its under the supervision of the Assessor. It may reside in the Town Clerk's Office in incredibly small towns, but its there under the auspices of the Assessor.

assessment.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yep, thought so. But keep in mind for your "friend" that property valuations are a matter of public record. Anyone can go to town hall and pull up anyone's "card" to find out how much it's worth in terms of the town's valuation, how many square feet, what improvements have been made, who bought it when for how much, whether an appeal was successful, etc. So your friend or anyone else's friend has little to hide, and even less that he/she can hide. It's all, as they say, "out there!"

Just curious, but what is this "44 to 73"? Can't be thousands, even in Bridgeport or some other high mill rate municipality. And the mill rate is set for the town, so unless the town nearly doubled its mill rate, can't be for that house. Just curious....
It's a code or some type of value, I dont have the paper my friend received. I know the value of the home went from about 175k to 218k in this year. You don't even have to go to City Hall, you can go online to the town's website. It's Hartford so I know the mill rate is 74, highest in the state

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'll find out what the 44 to 73 means shortly

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Assessed Building Value is 74,000... was about 41-43,000 last year! Fair market value was about 175k last yr and is almost 220k this year

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Assessed Building Value is 74,000... was about 41-43,000 last year! Fair market value was about 175k last yr and is almost 220k this year

If you have undergone a Revaluation, remember "last year" was probably the year of the last revaluation unless you made improvements after that Revaluation.

Reaction Score
If you have undergone a Revaluation, remember "last year" was probably the year of the last revaluation unless you made improvements after that Revaluation.

Curious about the statistical revaluation. That's not supposed to be done, and a new assessed value implemented, except for every five years, right? The municipality cannot, or so I had believed, conduct a reval, full or statistical, during that five-year period between revals without some alteration of the property. Have I got that wrong?

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Curious about the statistical revaluation. That's not supposed to be done, and a new assessed value implemented, except for every five years, right? The municipality cannot, or so I had believed, conduct a reval, full or statistical, during that five-year period between revals without some alteration of the property. Have I got that wrong?

Here is a good summary of current law on revaluations.

PROPERTY TAX REVALUATION

The Statutes don't really address shorter time periods between Revaluations, but mandate when Revaluations have to take place. Implementing a Revaluation is a cost / benefit decision. Its rather costly to conduct a Revaluation (even statistical), and the political confusion it causes is even costlier. The benefits may be marginal in the short term.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My friend gets the notice of assessment every year I believe... I don't know the yearly ABV but as I mentioned before they ran off the history for the past 5 yrs of 42 44 43 44 45, not exactly those numbers but something like that, and this year it was 74. They were shocked at that number changed/increase. I didn't, I mean, my friend didn't ask them what happened cause my friend could see that they saw it was nearly doubled. Didn't wanna open a can of worms after they basically said you'll get a notice in the mail. Who knows what it's gonna say.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think that "extra features" line was thrown in there which may have given them "just cause" for an reevaluation or it's the 5th yr

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Here's the latest numbers from the letter in the mail Friday
20180505_015812.jpg
5/4/18

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if my friend isn't moving any time soon, who care how low the market value go, for tax purpose... does that sound right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom