OT: Tame Impala - The Slow Rush | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tame Impala - The Slow Rush

Reaction Score
To each their own
I don't think this is my cup of tea but I also despise rap so what do I know.....................
It's not a question of musical ability but a matter of taste
Those who like it - ENJOY!!!
19 year old kids love to think that what they’re listening to on a given day is ground-breaking stuff

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Try Lonerism.

Lonerism is certainly better to my ear musically of the four albums. But I'm not the demographic, so I'll just drop some irrelevant Robert Christgau-level old guy pontification...

While the difference and relative importance of Lonerism vs Currents vs Slow Rush doesn't really approach the Bends vs OK Computer vs Kid A path, I imagine someone in their 20s now would go all oooo and aaah about TI the same way kids in the late 90s did over Radiohead. Personally, I hated Kid A and still do.

The first three Tame Impala albums to me seem more like Parker/TI is progressively doing to the Beatles what PM Dawn did to hip hop back in the early 90s, with the difference being I found the latter to be lyrically uplifting.

Which is not say Parker isn't immensely talented. There are some great riffs in the earlier work along with some remarkable bass lines and leads. His technical detail is certainly good, and you can sense he's after studio perfection, but I just can't get all worked over about executing drum fades.

OTOH, I learned he's a fan of Serge Gainsbourg which makes total sense. And the opener to Lonerism, "Apocalypse Dreams" sounds like something you'd get if Gainsbourg was leading the Polyphonic Spree.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Lonerism is certainly better to my ear musically of the four albums. But I'm not the demographic, so I'll just drop some irrelevant Robert Christgau-level old guy pontification...

While the difference and relative importance of Lonerism vs Currents vs Slow Rush doesn't really approach the Bends vs OK Computer vs Kid A path, I imagine someone in their 20s now would go all oooo and aaah about TI the same way kids in the late 90s did over Radiohead. Personally, I hated Kid A and still do.

The first three Tame Impala albums to me seem more like Parker/TI is progressively doing to the Beatles what PM Dawn did to hip hop back in the early 90s, with the difference being I found the latter to be lyrically uplifting.

Which is not say Parker isn't immensely talented. There are some great riffs in the earlier work along with some remarkable bass lines and leads. His technical detail is certainly good, and you can sense he's after studio perfection, but I just can't get all worked over about executing drum fades.

OTOH, I learned he's a fan of Serge Gainsbourg which makes total sense. And the opener to Lonerism, "Apocalypse Dreams" sounds like something you'd get if Gainsbourg was leading the Polyphonic Spree.

That is some Christgausian s*** right there

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
19 year old kids love to think that what they’re listening to on a given day is ground-breaking stuff

I don't understand what you're saying here. Or, rather, I don't understand why you're saying it here. Are you saying TI fans are 19?

Reaction Score

I had similar thoughts when listening to the new TI album re Radiohead. I personally enjoy both artists.

Reaction Score
Doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the album, but it works extremely well as the soundtrack to a long run if anyone is into that. The album has thematic continuity but also a lot of different tempos.

Reaction Score

I bet you think Trout Mask Replica is the greatest album ever created.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the album, but it works extremely well as the soundtrack to a long run if anyone is into that. The album has thematic continuity but also a lot of different tempos.
Runners who care about tempo in their music want consistency not variety. This sounds like it’s more suited to the Long Slow Run where you get lost in thought or music.

Reaction Score
If you are an old rocker ( like me) give a listen to the Finnish bands Greedy Pig, and Juniper Inc. I work a lot in Finland and discovered these guys while up there. They are on spotify, youtube and so on. On my last trip, last week, I met Douglas Blair, guitarist from WASP. Turns out he comes from Manchester! Married a Finnish woman, so that’s why he lives in Finland now.

Reaction Score
I never had a chance to give Tame Impala a listen other than his most popular songs. I saw TI on a music festival, but they weren’t the headliner or the reason I went. I’m not sure what counts as “indie” anymore these days, but I would probably throw Beck, Jack White, Arcade Fire or the National in as the band of the current era. I’m not much into what sounds “synthesized” but I own all of the Arcade Fire albums so I’m certainly not against it.

I’m curious of any albums anyone thinks are a must to own that I wouldn’t have heard of previously. Someone purchased the book “booze and vinyl” for me as a wedding gift and I’ve already found every album in it but 3. Needless to say it started a record collection hobby that mirrors my UConn fandom.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m curious of any albums anyone thinks are a must to own that I wouldn’t have heard of previously. Someone purchased the book “booze and vinyl” for me as a wedding gift and I’ve already found every album in it but 3. Needless to say it started a record collection hobby that mirrors my UConn fandom.
Cool. Never heard of the book but just looked it up after reading your post. If the albums depicted on the cover are the ones featured in the book, I believe I own every one of them--the vast majority on vinyl.

Hard to know how to answer your query without knowing what you already have and are into. But here are three compilations I've had for decades that hold up well and have always surprised people when I've turned them on to them:

Steve Miller Band, Anthology (double album)
Duane Allman, An Anthology (double album)
Aretha Franklin, Jazz to Soul

Reaction Score
Cool. Never heard of the book but just looked it up after reading your post. If the albums depicted on the cover are the ones featured in the book, I believe I own every one of them--the vast majority on vinyl.

Hard to know how to answer your query without knowing what you already have and are into. But here are three compilations I've had for decades that hold up well and have always surprised people when I've turned them on to them:

Steve Miller Band, Anthology (double album)
Duane Allman, An Anthology (double album)
Aretha Franklin, Jazz to Soul
Thanks for the recommendations! I don’t have any of those 3 and will definitely check them out. The book is great. It gives drink recipes to pair with each side of the albums listed in the book if you were to host a vinyl listening party. The three I have yet to get my hands on are Buena Vista Social Club, The Cure - Disintegration, and Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I’ve made some rules for myself with collecting them that they had to be used and I couldn’t just by them online.... it’s been a 2 year go at it so far.

Reaction Score
I never had a chance to give Tame Impala a listen other than his most popular songs. I saw TI on a music festival, but they weren’t the headliner or the reason I went. I’m not sure what counts as “indie” anymore these days, but I would probably throw Beck, Jack White, Arcade Fire or the National in as the band of the current era. I’m not much into what sounds “synthesized” but I own all of the Arcade Fire albums so I’m certainly not against it.

I am excited for The National to visit New Haven this summer. I remember there was a favorite album thread here and somebody posted Boxer. I had never listened. 7 years later they are maybe my favorite band.

Thanks @Fishy

Reaction Score
I am excited for The National to visit New Haven this summer. I remember there was a favorite album thread here and somebody posted Boxer. I had never listened. 7 years later they are maybe my favorite band.

Thanks @Fishy
That will for sure be a great show! I kind of luck out with them having a local music festival every year in Cincinnati. They headline both nights of it and bring in other indie music. Typically one night they play a specific album. It’s usually held in the grass park right next to Great American Ballpark along the Ohio River. Great great vibes especially when one has a few alcoholic beverages!

Reaction Score
Must be old, gave me a weird flashback to these guys, albeit more rock and real instruments...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Must be old, gave me a weird flashback to these guys, albeit more rock and real instruments...

Good call. Kula Shakur was amongst a bunch of CDs I bought in Edinburgh back in '96. A ton of great (or at least interesting) music from UK in that period, little of it making an impact in US.

Reaction Score
Picked up The Slow Rush and had a chance to listen to it a bunch on a business trip. It is very good.

I agree with the above, The National are great. Bon Iver are one of my favorites as well. Their last two albums have really grown on me.

Reaction Score
I'm late into this conversation, but as a music lover and a former marching band nerd/member of a band when I was in my teens/early 20s, I realize that Kevin Parker's insular autonomy of his music creation is one-of-a-kind.

He's an obsessive sonic engineer who plays everything on the recent Tame Impala albums. His talent is savant level.

His music takes time to appreciate. While I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of his stuff, but I think half of Currents is very good and overall the production of the album is out of this world. "Reality in Motion" is my favorite song on the album.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
So I’ve been listening for a week now. This album is extremely more accessible to the typical music fan than his previous albums were. It’s almost like Kevin is trying to go mainstream, become some sort of pop icon. But he is completely unwilling to sacrifice creativity. It’s not as good as some of his other albums but it’s still easily the best album I’ve heard in a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom