OT - T-Mobile "unlimited data"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
any opinions on it... Verizon is trying to mug folks with their data plans

Reaction Score
it's BS, they cap your data speeds after you use up a certain amount of data(2GB, 5GB, 10Gb, not sure if you can go higher than that). My original plan only had 2GB and once I got a new job that blocked pretty much every website known to man, I ended up using alot of data while surfing the web on my phone. Once they cap your speed you might as well be back on the dial up days of AOL 3.0, doing anything over the phone is painfully slow. If you use alot of data during the month, prepare to pay alot of extra money increasing your "unlimited data".

Reaction Score
Feeling the same thing. They will not give me my phone upgrade without it

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I have yet to find a data plan that isn't a ripoff, and am perfectly happy with a stripped-down phone and a Wi-Fi tablet. I actually don't mind not being connected every second of the day.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have yet to find a data plan that isn't a ripoff, and am perfectly happy with a stripped-down phone and a Wi-Fi tablet. I actually don't mind not being connected every second of the day.
Rod I agree... the 'net is taking over our lives

Reaction Score
T-mobile has a spotty coverage (ie not enough towers). Pretty much anywhere I lived at people have had awful reception when using t-mobile. They are cheaper but you get what you pay for.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
it's BS, they cap your data speeds after you use up a certain amount of data(2GB, 5GB, 10Gb, not sure if you can go higher than that). My original plan only had 2GB and once I got a new job that blocked pretty much every website known to man, I ended up using alot of data while surfing the web on my phone. Once they cap your speed you might as well be back on the dial up days of AOL 3.0, doing anything over the phone is painfully slow. If you use alot of data during the month, prepare to pay alot of extra money increasing your "unlimited data".
sooooo unlimited is limited?

Reaction Score
If you have unlimited data already with Verizon you can keep it if you buy a phone off contract

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If you have unlimited data already with Verizon you can keep it if you buy a phone off contract
I just upgraded my phone on Verizon to the Droid Razor Maxx HD. I used my wife's upgrade and was able to keep my unlimited plan. If you go to the stores they tell you that you can't do it. But if you go on-line, you can.

Reaction Score
Pay extra for hotspot service, pay extra for caller ID (although there are free apps for that). If you are not a big data user and use free independent wifi its manageable.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
one of their phones or a EBay unlocked phone?

if you have a basic phone but also smart phones on a unlimited family plan can you switch that basic phone to a smart and stay unlimited... Verizon is saying you cant

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I just upgraded my phone on Verizon to the Droid Razor Maxx HD. I used my wife's upgrade and was able to keep my unlimited plan. If you go to the stores they tell you that you can't do it. But if you go on-line, you can.
from a basic phone?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Pay extra for hotspot service, pay extra for caller ID (although there are free apps for that). If you are not a big data user and use free independent wifi its manageable.
Verizon tried to convince me to do that... use free wifi as much as possible including at home

Reaction Score
one of their phones or a EBay unlocked phone?

if you have a basic phone but also smart phones on a unlimited family plan can you switch that basic phone to a smart and stay unlimited... Verizon is saying you cant
It's also illegal now to unlock your phone. I'm not sure if it's illegal to own one however ...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A friend of mine has the old Verizon (unlimited and uncapped) family data plan for like $40 a month total. He's been buying his own phones ever since.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A friend of mine has the old Verizon (unlimited and uncapped) family data plan for like $40 a month total. He's been buying his own phones ever since.
thats the only way to get a new phone because once you u upgrade using their phones they will put you on a tier plan

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My phone was a Thunderbolt by HTC. My wife's is a basic phone.
if you wife goes up to a smartphone she will be under a "limited" plan

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Sprint has truly unlimited. No data capping ... of course, they have very limited LTE coverage as of right now (if that's your sort of thing), but I've had no complaints about service or dropped calls.

Reaction Score
Sprint has truly unlimited. No data capping ... of course, they have very limited LTE coverage as of right now (if that's your sort of thing), but I've had no complaints about service or dropped calls.

From online speed tests I've seen posted online they seem to have the slowest speeds out of the major carriers.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
From online speed tests I've seen posted online they seem to have the slowest speeds out of the major carriers.

They definitely do ... but if you can live with it, it's by far the best deal out there. I consider myself a very technical person and it really doesn't bother me one bit. But if you do a lot of media consumption on the road or away from wifi, then it's probably not for you (at least until their LTE rollout picks up speed.)

For the basic user who wants smartphone capabilities, I don't see an issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom