OT: Sweeney Todd tonight on PBS | The Boneyard

OT: Sweeney Todd tonight on PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Hi,
Sorry for the short notice, but for you fans of musical theatre and/or Sondheim, back in May of this year the New York Phil put on a presentation of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd back in May starring Emma Thompson and Bryn Terfel that was simply outstanding.

PBS is broadcasting this production tonight on PBS at 9 PM.

Emma is nothing short of spectacular, and Terfel's voice is magnificent and a good match for this role. I liked it so much I saw it twice in one day.

In NYC it is being broadcast on Channel 13, other regions please check your local listings. It will be listed as "Live from Lincoln Center" (although it's was live back in May....it's taped tonight)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sorry I missed it but I am comforted in my memory of having seen Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett on Broadway.

Separately I saw Pearl Bailey do "Hello, Dolly."

Kevin Kline in "Pirates of Penzance."

And, perhaps best of all, Rex Harrison as Professor 'enry 'iggins in "My Fair Lady."

It's been downhill for many years. Broadway has lost the allure it once held for me.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Kib, you should have seen Audra as Billie. Friggin' wowza.

I got to see her in Master Class AND Ragtime (with Marin Mazzie. Bliss!)

Chita Rivera in Kiss of the Spiderwoman.

Lily Tomlin in Search for Signs of Intelligent Life - in Boston three times. On Broadway the first AND second time.

Janet McTeer in Doll's House. I walked out the door and straight to the box office to purchase another ticket.

Reaction Score
Here's an obscure one - I saw Lacy Chabert in Les Miserables on BW when she was knee high to a grasshopper. Also saw Calista Flockhart as Juliet (at the Hartford Stage) way before Allie MacBeal and Harrison Ford.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
For my 8th birthday in 1964 my mother took me to NY to see Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand at the Winter Garden. I returned home and told my father that this lady who played Fanny has a beautiful voice and will be a star someday.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For my 8th birthday in 1964 my mother took me to NY to see Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand at the Winter Garden. I returned home and told my father that this lady who played Fanny has a beautiful voice and will be a star someday.

Pure precocious prescience!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
Sorry I missed it but I am comforted in my memory of having seen Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett on Broadway.

Separately I saw Pearl Bailey do "Hello, Dolly."

Kevin Kline in "Pirates of Penzance."

And, perhaps best of all, Rex Harrison as Professor 'enry 'iggins in "My Fair Lady."

It's been downhill for many years. Broadway has lost the allure it once held for me.

I agree the quality of singing and so forth have gone downhill especially given that they reduce the orchestra's to practically skin and bones....

The Philharmonic productions however semi staged are usually exceptionally cast and of course you have that wonderful orchestra playing the score.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I just discovered that the Philharmonic version of Sweeney Todd is available in full on YouTube. Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite Sondheim musicals. Check it out, all you Sondheim lovers. As RadyLady notes, Emma is spectacular:

SWEENEY TODD

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Ah, so someone did post it.....hmmmmm

Reaction Score
OK;
Michael Crawford, Steve Barton and Mrs. Lloyd Weber in POTH
Colm Wilkinson and Patti Lupone in The Miserables
and the real topper:
Sarah Jessica Parker (Why the Long Face?) in ANNIE

Status