Reaction Score
Repo Man (props to Harry Dean Stanton)

After Hours

Election

Reaction Score
Repo Man (props to Harry Dean Stanton)

After Hours

Election

Repo Man, the movie that really introduced me to Harry Dean Stanton while I was attending UConn. Solid low budget fun. The generic food cans were a riot way back in the day.

I saw Election recently for the first time. Excellent movie. Although with Alexander Payne directing, and with Mathew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon in it, I would hesitate to call it surprisingly good. I expected quality stuff, and I got it from this film.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
After Hours

First time I saw that I thought it was great. But it got worse with repeated viewings as Griffin Dunne's character got progressively schmuckier each time.

But it does have naked Linda Fiorentino going for it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Best Man Down." I thought it was just going to be a quirky indie. It turned out to be much more than that. Not exactly a star studded cast but Justin Long, Jess Wexler, Tyler Labine and especially Addison Timlin were good in this. And Addison needs to be in more movies.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Phenomenal. Other weird ones like this that I have a soft spot for:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - Same kind of cult classic-ish movie
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane - shockingly good for an Andrew Dice Clay vehicle

BIG-BOO-TAY! TAY! TAY!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ted 2. I thought it was actually funnier than the original. The first movie got heavy after the Flash Gordon party. If I am watching a movie about a foul-mouthed, pot smoking teddy bear, I don't want heavy, I want funny.

There was not a dead scene in the whole movie. It was just fun.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hangover 3. Reviews were pretty rough, but I thought it was very funny and a good end to the trilogy. I thought Hangover 2 was just the original, in Bangkok, and was not a fan overall. I liked the focus on Chow.

Kingdom of Heaven (2005). I really liked this movie. It was like the 9th major swords and sandels epic over a 5 year span, and there was definitely some audience fatigue on the genre when it came out. I am not a huge fan of Orlando Bloom or Eva Green for that matter, but otherwise the cast was pretty strong, especially Ghassan Massoud as Saladin. I have heard that the Director's cut is even better than the regular movie, but I have not seen it.

Smoking Aces. A bunch of cartoonish assassins go to Reno to kill Jeremy Piven, who is basically playing Ari Gold. This movie is just a fun film to watch. The plot is ridiculous, but it doesn't really matter. Enjoy the dialogue and the shootouts.

Boiler Room - Giovanni Ribisi is amazing in this movie about a Long Island bucket shop, stock brokerage. I am sure people walked out of this movie in 2000 wondering when Vin Diesel would win his first Oscar.

25th Hour - I am not sure how underrated this movie is, because it got a lot of love when it came out. Still, it is probably Spike Lee's best film.

Tin Cup - There are a lot of places this movie could have gone wrong, from its slow pacing, to a cast with inconsistent Kevin Costner, mediocre Rene Russo, and weak Don Johnson, to the fact that it is a movie about golf from the 90's without a Tiger Woods cameo. This is one of the funniest sports movies ever made.

I love smoking aces and tin cup.

"We straight nightmares. We the walkin, talkin existent circumstances."

the Q

Reaction Score
Echo the following:
Boiler Room
Tropic thunder
Dead pool
This is the End (x2 .... what a surprisingly funny and silly movie)

Add to that:
Semi-pro
Swingers
High Fidelity
PCU
Kingpin ( this movie holds up perfectly )
Hall Pass
Outside Providence
Just Friends ( hillariouslu rewatch able )
Say it isn't So

I thought just friends had like one really funny scene (xmas lights...).

the Q

Reaction Score
The Count of Monte Cristo.

One of my favorite movies ever.

Even if it strays pretty far from the book.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Was hooked into "I Love You, Man" yesterday. Hysterical.

I am not a Paul Rudd guy but here he is about to marry Rashida Jones and realizes he has zero friends. No best man candidates. Then he meets Jason Segal...a bachelor with no buds at all.

Funny stuff.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the sequel, comes out in another week or two.

Finally went to see Kingsman: The Golden Circle yesterday. If you're a fan of the original, you'll most likely enjoy the sequel as it has the same feel to it. While they amped up the number and scope of the action sequences, they don't come with the same level of unexpectedness that the original delivered. I went with my girlfriend who had not seen the original and she enjoyed the sequel.

Reaction Score
Stepping back a few decades,to a genre rarely seen now.
Hombre
Valdez is Coming
The Professionals

Reaction Score
The new Spider Man was pretty good. Didn’t expect much but was pretty surprised.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom