OT: Stubhub screws over a Kobe fan | The Boneyard

OT: Stubhub screws over a Kobe fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
As readers of TheLead know, we love nothing more than some good ol’ corporate muckraking, so when a reader named Jesse Sandler emailed us with a story that sounded too bizarre to be true – namely that he brilliantly bought four tickets to the Lakers’ last home game (in April against the Jazz) 18 days before Kobe announced his retirement, and a little over a month later, when the price of the tickets had appreciated almost 1000%, StubHub voided the purchase because he bought the tickets for too low of a price – we were excited for the possibility to highlight and (hopefully) rewrite the injustice.

http://www.theleadsports.com/the-surreal-story-of-stubhub-screwing-over-a-kobe-fan/

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I went to the Travers this past summer - I kind of figured it would be a tough ticket given the possibility that American Pharoah would show up, so I bought them very early.

When I first got to the track, there were people in our seats - long story made short, they thought they had tickets to those seats through StubHub. Track rep comes over, takes both of our tickets to the office and comes back and tells them what I already knew - their Stubhub tickets were takes and that StubHub had an office in the neighborhood for the day and would refund their money there. They had traveled up from Maryland for the race and they were out of luck.

That happened over and over during the day to people around us.

Reaction Score
I went to the Travers this past summer - I kind of figured it would be a tough ticket given the possibility that American Pharoah would show up, so I bought them very early.

When I first got to the track, there were people in our seats - long story made short, they thought they had tickets to those seats through StubHub. Track rep comes over, takes both of our tickets to the office and comes back and tells them what I already knew - their Stubhub tickets were takes and that StubHub had an office in the neighborhood for the day and would refund their money there. They had traveled up from Maryland for the race and they were out of luck.

Whenever I used Stubhub for games I'm always expecting that to happen right up until they scan the tickets at the gate.

Reaction Score
Thats really messed up. I have bought from StubHub many times for UConn games at MSG or Yankees games. I always have a funny feeling when its the tickets you print out at home, because I guess the seller can technically have already printed out the tickets themselves and as long as they get to the venue first, the buyer is screwed.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Thats really messed up. I have bought from StubHub many times for UConn games at MSG or Yankees games. I always have a funny feeling when its the tickets you print out at home, because I guess the seller can technically have already printed out the tickets themselves and as long as they get to the venue first, the buyer is screwed.
. Any other service to use?

Reaction Score
This is insanity, I literally can't believe an entity like StubHub would side so clearly in favor of a seller who missed out on a big payday rather than a buyer who smartly lucked into a great deal. To me, stubhub exists for people like the guy who bought the tickets, sure most of the action is by scumbags who make a living out of buying out tickets to everything and then selling them, but its the buyers that keep it afloat

I assume that the kid will be fine, as long as he doesn't shut up and keeps taking interviews anywhere he can, someone in the Lakers organization maybe Kobe himself will give him tickets to the game

Reaction Score
This is EXACTLY what happened to us back in 2014 when we bought tickets thru Ticket Network for the Sweet 16 game at MSG.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Apparently there is a guideline at StubHub that penalizes the seller 20% if they cancel, so if the price of the ticket goes up by 20% the seller is incentivized to cancel which is ridiculous.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Meet me in Temecula

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Some other company -- I think it's called Ticketsforless or something like that -- has used this as a great marketing opportunity and is giving this guy 4 free tickets in Section 106. Best $6000 they'll ever spend. (Of course I can't even remember the name, so I guess the marketing wasn't perfect...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom