OT Stephen Curry 77 Straight 3's in Practice | The Boneyard

OT Stephen Curry 77 Straight 3's in Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a neutral observer at the NCAA F4 practice in 2011 who watched Kemba knock down 50 straight 3 pointers. Someone posted it on this board.

Reaction Score
I really can't fathom this.

94 out of 100, I can believe in an open gym with no one guarding him. However, if he hit 77 in a row, that means of the remaining shots, he only clipped 73%. It's just counter intuitive. How can he be so hot, and then rather pedestrian for the others.

I call BS. 77 in a row is ABSURD, one bad bounce is all it takes.

Reaction Score
94 out of 100, I can believe in an open gym with no one guarding him. However, if he hit 77 in a row, that means of the remaining shots, he only clipped 73%. It's just counter intuitive. How can he be so hot, and then rather pedestrian for the others.

Pedestrian?

Also, it's not counter-intuitive... you can't have a "hot streak" if you always shoot at the same percentage through the entire stretch.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

How is 73% from 3 for his last 23 attempts pedestrian? I'd put down $50 says you can't hit 2 out of 3 3s in an open gym if there were a few people watching you do it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This really pales in comparison to Kirk King's 22 straight field goals.
Kirk King 100%
Steph Curry 94%

Plus King's were in games. Give me Kirk everyday of the week, no question ;)

Reaction Score
Kirk King 100%
Steph Curry 94%

Plus King's were in games. Give me Kirk everyday of the week, no question ;)

How many other shots did Kirk take in those games? We know he missed at least one, so 22/23 would be 95.6% ;)

Reaction Score
Pedestrian?

Also, it's not counter-intuitive... you can't have a "hot streak" if you always shoot at the same percentage through the entire stretch.

for him 73% in an open gym with no clock and no one guarding him, is well below what he's capable of.

Reaction Score
for him 73% in an open gym with no clock and no one guarding him, is well below what he's capable of.

You do understand that when someone "averages" a certain percentage, there are times where they are above and below that average, right?

Reaction Score
I don't know that I can buy this either. In every 3 pt contest I've ever watched, it's rare to see someone hit 8-9 in a row. Granted, the surroundings are different...but 77 in a row? I'm also calling BS.

Reaction Score
The fact that 3 point contests require you to move around and shoot as quickly as possible under competition stress might have something to do with that.

Reaction Score

He didn't shoot 73%, he shot 94%.

By your "logic", if Steph Curry started the game 10 for 10, but then finished 10-15, and you only consider his last 5 shots, Steph shot 0%.

If you only counted the worst portion of FG/FGA, no shooter would live up to what they are "capable of".

Reaction Score
You do understand that when someone "averages" a certain percentage, there are times where they are above and below that average, right?

Thanks for explaining the math to me.

If you told me he hit 77 in a row and took 100 shots, I would expect him to shoot a higher percentage, that's all. I understand the hot and the cold parts, but if there is a "cold" streak I just don't understand how he could string the 77, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm naive. I think there's too much "luck" involved with the rim.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

How is 73% from 3 for his last 23 attempts pedestrian? I'd put down $50 says you can't hit 2 out of 3 3s in an open gym if there were a few people watching you do it.

I'll put $50 more if you go 20/23 since 17/23 is "pedestrian"

Reaction Score

If you told me he hit 77 in a row and took 100 shots, I would expect him to shoot a higher percentage, that's all. I understand the hot and the cold parts, but if there is a "cold" streak I just don't understand how he could string the 77, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm naive. I think there's too much "luck" involved with the rim.

I agree that 77 straight is a crazy number. But if anyone can do it it's him. Plus, when the ball doesn't hit the rim on the vast majority of the shots there's no need for luck.

Reaction Score
He didn't shoot 73%, he shot 94%.

By your "logic", if Steph Curry started the game 10 for 10, but then finished 10-15, and you only consider his last 5 shots, Steph shot 0%.

If you only counted the worst portion of FG/FGA, no shooter would live up to what they are "capable of".

I agree here, obviously, and I get the whole "hot/cold" thing. It's like baseball, career 250 hitter is going to have his streaks...

My point isn't to harp on the 73%, it's just to look at the other 23 shots in a vacuum. The 77 in a row is so unfathomable the only thing I can compare it to is an extra point in an NFL game (horrible I know, apples to oranges). If a kicker is capable of 77 in a row, in game, there's no way he misses 6 of his next 23.

Reaction Score
The fact that 3 point contests require you to move around and shoot as quickly as possible under competition stress might have something to do with that.

I get that. I said the surroundings were different. But the gap between 7-8 in a row and 77 in a row is a little hard for me to swallow.

Reaction Score
I'll put $50 more if you go 20/23 since 17/23 is "pedestrian"

ok ok ok-- pedestrian was a terrible word choice. I meant in comparison to the average NBA shooter in an open gym (e.g. Nik Stauskas, Kyle Korver).

No chance I can shoot that well.

Reaction Score
It is so incredible that it sounds like it can't be true. Well it's true folks, Curry isn't human. He's the best shooter ever and combined with having the best handle in the league (along with Kyrie Irving) you have just an unreal player. His skill set is so high right now that he often makes other NBA players look foolish.

Reaction Score
The 77 in a row is so unfathomable the only thing I can compare it to is an extra point in an NFL game (horrible I know, apples to oranges). If a kicker is capable of 77 in a row, in game, there's no way he misses 6 of his next 23.

Glad you said it..

Reaction Score

You can't have a "cold streak" if there aren't also "hot streaks".

The idea you're expressing is surprise that statistics are naturally streaky. Don't be surprised.

The 77 was way above his normal ability. That's what makes it a hot streak. You are trying to apply the 77 capability to the rest of his shots.

Reaction Score
You can't have a "cold streak" if there aren't also "hot streaks".

The idea you're expressing is surprise that statistics are naturally streaky. Don't be surprised.

The 77 was way above his normal ability. That's what makes it a hot streak. You are trying to apply the 77 capability to the rest of his shots.

Somebody needs to read this.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
There was a neutral observer at the NCAA F4 practice in 2011 who watched Kemba knock down 50 straight 3 pointers. Someone posted it on this board.

If that practice was held at Reliant stadium that's even more remarkable. Rumor has it those rims were 2 inches smaller and 60% stiffer than regulation. Just ask Kentucky and Butler fans ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom