OT: St Louis travel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: St Louis travel

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We are taking advantage of Southwest's new direct flights from Bradley and flying into/out of St Louis to visit family in north central Arkansas the second week of September. Current plans are for 3 Airbnb nights in St Louis tacked onto the back end.

Any recommendations/heads up for a site- and sightseeing trip with a BBQ, blues, baseball, balloon race vibe?

Exposition Grounds & Arch, City Museum, Blues Museum, Soulard Farmers Market, Botanical Garden seem most interesting at first glance. Where to hear music?

Busch Stadium will have a Pirates day game or a Dodgers night game, and seemingly low ticket prices.

Sub-Reddit defenders have to battle the metro/suburban haters who make the place sound as scary as our beloved Hartford & New Haven, both of which I like.

Pappy's, Bogart's, Sugarfire, or other? (kind of like Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, or other)

Best neighborhoods to stay in or to explore or avoid? We'll have a car, but walkable & bikeable both appeal.

Forest, Tower Grove, Benton, or Lafayette Square parks?

Anywhere special to stop along the 5 hr trip heading southwest on I-44 and then south toward Bulls Shoals Lake in the Ozarks?

Thanks in advance for any and all.

I can only offer thoughts and prayers.

St Louis makes New Haven look like Paris.

The BBQ is really good though.

Reaction Score
You know how people here say never go east of the river? Well ignore them go east of the river to America’s hidden gem, East St Louis! It’s hot, hot, hot!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You know how people here say never go east of the river? Well ignore them go east of the river to America’s hidden gem, East St Louis! It’s hot, hot, hot!
Only if you’re looking for strip clubs.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
We are taking advantage of Southwest's new direct flights from Bradley and flying into/out of St Louis to visit family in north central Arkansas the second week of September. Current plans are for 3 Airbnb nights in St Louis tacked onto the back end.

Any recommendations/heads up for a site- and sightseeing trip with a BBQ, blues, baseball, balloon race vibe?

Exposition Grounds & Arch, City Museum, Blues Museum, Soulard Farmers Market, Botanical Garden seem most interesting at first glance. Where to hear music?

Busch Stadium will have a Pirates day game or a Dodgers night game, and seemingly low ticket prices.

Sub-Reddit defenders have to battle the metro/suburban haters who make the place sound as scary as our beloved Hartford & New Haven, both of which I like.

Pappy's, Bogart's, Sugarfire, or other? (kind of like Pepe's, Sally's, Modern, or other)

Best neighborhoods to stay in or to explore or avoid? We'll have a car, but walkable & bikeable both appeal.

Forest, Tower Grove, Benton, or Lafayette Square parks?

Anywhere special to stop along the 5 hr trip heading southwest on I-44 and then south toward Bulls Shoals Lake in the Ozarks?

Thanks in advance for any and all.

You and your family would enjoy the zoo. It's in Forest Park ( a beautiful park I might add) and the zoo is free. The zoo is near Washington U. and an area called the Loop. The Loop is filled w/ fun places to eat and a cool record store, the name escapes me. Have fun in the Lou.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
St Louis Pizza is a cracker with melted Swiss cheese on top.

Not even joking.

That's just a dumb and inaccurate description. But people can go see for themselves. Imo's Pizza | The Square Beyond Compare

20091111ImosWhole2.jpg

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned Drewes Custard?

I think I saw someone mention the zoo; that is really great.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned Drewes Custard?

I think I saw someone mention the zoo; that is really great.
yeah I mentioned both. really have to hit them both if you're in STL. Cousin got married at the Zoo and it was an incredible venue for it

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've had it before; it's just not for me.

Obviously my description was over the top; I will say the rest of the Italian food on (in?) the Hill is very very good.

I'm not sure I even think of Pizza as Italian food anymore. It's so variable. I certainly don't think STL style beats New Haven 'Apizza' but I actually prefer it to our Greek "House of" pizza. It's similar to what Massachusetts calls South Shore "bar pizza".

Definitely agree that the zoo is excellent. St. Louis in general is a little older, and more gritty than I think you find in most midwestern cities that aren't Chicago. Way out in the outer western edges you've got modern suburban sprawl, but it looks nothing like say, Dallas for the most part. Lots of brick homes on small lots, and the "towns" are geographically tiny. Clayton has several high rise office buildings but a population of only 16,000.

Reaction Score
My company's HQ is in St Louis and I go here one week every month. I haven't read through all the responses so I apologize if there are some repeats. I did see a few references to pizza; I'm not sure what others have said but I am yet to have an above mediocre pizza in St Louis and Imo's is repellent. CT residents are spoiled with excellent pizza and I would recommend choosing some other cuisine. The toasted raviolis are fine and all but I'd skip the Italian altogether. Pappy's is the more famous BBQ place and it is quite good but I think Sugarfire is better. I love their sausage actually and they always have interesting specials. I once had a smoked, bone-in short rib there and it was one of the better BBQ dishes I have ever eaten. The Central West End has a nice concentration of good restaurants; my favorites are out in Clayton. 801 Chophouse and 801 Fish House.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom