OT: St. Joe's 78 Rhody 48 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: St. Joe's 78 Rhody 48

Reaction Score
Nothing has changed.

Hurley > Ollie (am I allowed to say that?)

Maybe those P5 teams will be hesitant to compete with us for him now. But that is it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nothing has changed.

Maybe those P5 teams will be hesitant to compete with us for him now. But that is it.

We now know there is a possibility this may happen once or twice next year, and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

Hurley is our best option but people have been making him out to be infallible. That’s a recipe for trouble.

Reaction Score
We now know there is a possibility this may happen once or twice next year, and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

Hurley is our best option but people have been making him out to be infallible. That’s a recipe for trouble.
The first year, maybe even 2 would be tough, if he were to come. Open to shocking developments, but even 20 wins would be shocking for me. Could be less, 15 or less, who knows.

Reaction Score
Nothing has changed.

You can say whatever you want but The Hurley's will never win a national championship as head coaches. Ollie has won one as head coach and another as an assistant. They're overrated.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That’s such a ridiculous unfounded statement to make. You have no idea if the Hurley’s will ever win a championship
You have to admit, whether he has any idea or not, the odds are greatly in favor of him being proven correct.

As would be the case with choosing almost any coach against the field. It's tough odds no matter who you are, which Calhoun used to love to emphasize--until he won more of them than all but five other humans.

Reaction Score
You have to admit, whether he has any idea or not, the odds are greatly in favor of him being proven correct.

As would be the case with choosing almost any coach against the field. It's tough odds no matter who you are, which Calhoun used to love to emphasize--until he won more of them than all but five other humans.
A.K.A. We have no idea. He made a definitive statement about something that he can’t possibly be definite about.

Reaction Score
That's all the Ollieistas have left. Coach X will never win a championship but Ollie did (with Calhoun's players).
Let's analyze this, Napier and Boatright were unproductive and mediocre in Coach Calhoun's final season. Daniels and Giffey was in his dog house. Olander... Brimah, Nolan, Samuels, Omar Calhoun were not coached by Calhoun.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A.K.A. We have no idea. He made a definitive statement about something that he can’t possibly be definite about.
Correct. But it won't take much to make him look like a prophet.

Reaction Score
You can say whatever you want but The Hurley's will never win a national championship as head coaches. Ollie has won one as head coach and another as an assistant. They're overrated.

More to the point: who do you believe is a better coach - Hurley or Ollie?

Reaction Score
More to the point: who do you believe is a better coach - Hurley or Ollie?
Ollie was as good if not better than any coach in the country his first 2 seasons. His first 2 seasons were not flukes. He did a hell of a job. I am sure he didn't forget how to coach. I am aware that he's going through and or went through a rough patch and made mistakes but I see he's taking the necessary steps to turn this around. There's not much talent on this current team. I expected some of our current pitfalls. We don't have enough shot makers and playmakers on this team. Most of us on here probably played basketball at some levels and is aware that a successful Akinjo or Gilbert and Wilson or Matthews can change the dimensions of this team. As long as Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, Adams, Vital, Williams and Polley stays we should be fine. Should all these guys return and improve along with the incoming class we're bound to turn this around. When we start winning you will see CHILL KILL em.

PS. I hope CHILL didn't KILL himself with any recruiting infractions.

Reaction Score
Ollie was as good if not better than any coach in the country his first 2 seasons. His first 2 seasons were not flukes. He did a hell of a job. I am sure he didn't forget how to coach. I am aware that he's going through and or went through a rough patch and made mistakes but I see he's taking the necessary steps to turn this around. There's not much talent on this current team. I expected some of our current pitfalls. We don't have enough shot makers and playmakers on this team. Most of us on here probably played basketball at some levels and is aware that a successful Akinjo or Gilbert and Wilson or Matthews can change the dimensions of this team. As long as Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, Adams, Vital, Williams and Polley stays we should be fine. Should all these guys return and improve along with the incoming class we're bound to turn this around. When we start winning you will see CHILL KILL em.

PS. I hope CHILL didn't KILL himself with any recruiting infractions.
Blah, blah, blah.

You really have no abilty to discern between a cause and a symptom, do you? You realize he isn't the first mediocre coach to win a championship with other people's players, don't you? Tubby Smith is Ollie's ceiling but, honestly, I think Tubby is better.

One additional bonus to when we get a new coach is that all the members of Ollie's inner sanctum will stop posting here.

Reaction Score
Blah, blah, blah.

You really have no abilty to discern between a cause and a symptom, do you? You realize he isn't the first mediocre coach to win a championship with other people's players, don't you? Tubby Smith is Ollie's ceiling but, honestly, I think Tubby is better.

One additional bonus to when we get a new coach is that all the members of Ollie's inner sanctum will stop posting here.

Your statement that Ollie is a mediocre coach at the time he won the National Championship tells me you're senile and stuck in your ways. Great, compare him to another black coach that won a National Championship.
Napier and Boatright were unproductive and mediocre in Coach Calhoun's final season. Daniels and Giffey was in his dog house. Olander... Brimah, Nolan, Samuels, Omar Calhoun were not coached by Calhoun. You're stuck in a box. You've probably never played basketball competitively, nor know the game much.

Reaction Score
Your statement that Ollie is a mediocre coach at the time he won the National Championship tells me you're senile and stuck in your ways. Great, compare him to another black coach that won a National Championship.
Napier and Boatright were unproductive and mediocre in Coach Calhoun's final season. Daniels and Giffey was in his dog house. Olander... Brimah, Nolan, Samuels, Omar Calhoun were not coached by Calhoun. You're stuck in a box. You've probably never played basketball competitively, nor know the game much.
BWAHAHAHA!!!! You played the race card! Is that the next tactic? Well, champ, how about Steve Fisher? Like Tubby, he is better than Ollie but still a solid comparison. We could also discuss Mike Davis but you will just call that racist. Ollie may be better than Davis. So, yeah, Ollie is somewhere between Tubby/Fisher and Davis. There is a canyon between that and Calhoun. I would like to make our way closer to the Calhoun side of that canyon. You are probably KO's son or something.

Reaction Score
BWAHAHAHA!!!! You played the race card! Is that the next tactic? Well, champ, how about Steve Fisher? Like Tubby, he is better than Ollie but still a solid comparison. We could also discuss Mike Davis but you will just call that racist. Ollie may be better than Davis. So, yeah, Ollie is somewhere between Tubby/Fisher and Davis. There is a canyon between that and Calhoun. I would like to make our way closer to the Calhoun side of that canyon. You are probably KO's son or something.
You played yourself when you compared him to another black coach that won a National Championship. You then stated they were mediocre although they won a Chip. How about congratulate and acknowledge them on a great accomplishment? Coach Ollie cut down a lot of big trees in concurring his accomplishment. Give the man props. Some may say you are racist for your comments. Don't try to cover up your ignorant statement now. You are who you are.

Reaction Score
You played yourself when you compared him to another black coach that won a National Championship. You then stated they were mediocre although they won a Chip. How about congratulate and acknowledge them on a great accomplishment? Coach Ollie cut down a lot of big trees in concurring his accomplishment. Give the man props. Some may say you are racist for your comments. Don't try to cover up your ignorant statement now. You are who you are.
Sure, Jalen.

Reaction Score
I am aware that he's going through and or went through a rough patch
And Calhoun did not go through some rough patches? BEATING cancer as many times as he did is one of the toughest things one could go through.

Reaction Score
And Calhoun did not go through some rough patches? BEATING cancer as many times as he did is one of the toughest things one could go through.
No one ever stated that Coach Calhoun didn't go through and or went through rough patches.
I am sure you're old enough to know that everyone deal with obstacles differently. I will say watching your mom battle cancer and your wife filing for divorce is up there. Ollie finally landed his dream job, steps from his home after bouncing around in the NBA then your wife says she wants a divorce and wants half of everything... You've spent years away from your wife and kids and wasn't able to watch your kids grow, you're finally settled and your wife said it's over. That's tough.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Rhode Island isn’t much of an endgame team. Not exactly something that instills confidence in March.

There is only one Commandment and Rhode Island can’t handle it.

Make Thy First.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom