OT - South Carolina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - South Carolina

Reaction Score
Really? I took summer session classes at South Carolina after my freshmen and junior years and those summers spent in Columbia felt like hell on earth. Felt like nothing I'd ever experienced back home in Charleston. Just brutal heat at sun up, afternoon thunderstorms from noon to 2pm, and then brutal heat and stifling humidity all day after, with some relief from direct sun at night but it still felt really hot because the humidity never left. Felt like I was living in the Amazon.

I keep going back and forth between Columbia and Charleston in life. Probably got one more in me. I totally believe Charleston humidity being higher.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I totally agree. Not sure why you'd ever intentionally come here otherwise. But if you had to, it might support a couple of days. Had in-laws visit and drew a blank after two days as to what they could do.

Ha. Friend wants me to visit Columbia this month for a few days. I've never been... Though I've wanted to check out Del Taco for a while... And Columbia is the nearest location. So Del Taco.. The Zoo.. The Vista..... Maybe a walk in Congaree National Forest... What else is there?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I will say HUMIDITY is the DEVIL!!! I resided in Dallas and was in Denver a few weeks ago. It was 104 in Dallas with 75% Humidity. Denver was 99 with 15%. I would have dealt with that dry heat allll day long!
you changed your user name?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I live here now. Overall, it depends on what you want to do and what you like. The summer heat is more than oppressive. I'd suggest late September or October. Even early November is ok. But I get testy when the temperature is over 80, so if you really like heat, this is the place.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some absolutely great restaurants. Charleston rivals New Orleans easily. High end places like McCready's (from 1778), Poogan's Porch, Hall's, and Husk are terrific. But you'll also love Martha Lou's (absolutely the BEST fried chicken in the world); Cuoco Pazzo if you really like Italian veal; Hominy Grill; great burgers at Poe's; lots of little hole in the wall places that don't get much pub but have great food.

As far as other things to do....golf, golf, and more golf (Wild Dunes, The Ocean Course, come up to my club at RiverTowne). Up through Myrtle there are few golf courses too. Ft. Sumter, the Henley, the Battery if you are a Civil War buff. (Ooops, down here it's called the War of Northern Aggression.) Carriage rides, ghost tours, mansion tours, plantations. And of course, the beach. Good night spots on East Bay Street.

Lemme know if you are looking for something special.
the plan would be for the end of November...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
No love for Greenville. One of the top tourist spots in America. Check out #yeahthatgreenville and see for yourself

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No love for Greenville. One of the top tourist spots in America. Check out #yeahthatgreenville and see for yourself

Actually I love Greenville ..... I recommend it to anyone I talk to when discussing trips around the Carolinas. I figured for the thread starter it would be too far away from Charleston to include it in the same trip.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Ha. Friend wants me to visit Columbia this month for a few days. I've never been... Though I've wanted to check out Del Taco for a while... And Columbia is the nearest location. So Del Taco.. The Zoo.. The Vista..... Maybe a walk in Congaree National Forest... What else is there?

The State House, the Art Museum, the State Museum, the USC Horseshoe.

I'll be in Connecticut on vacation this November.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nope, I've been this for the entire year I have been on this board. Are you thinking of EastTXTrash?
yes I am.... same Dallas to Denver thingy as well. I figure it out once I mention something bad about Griner :p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The State House, the Art Museum, the State Museum, the USC Horseshoe.

I'll be in Connecticut on vacation this November.

Well my friend in Columbia just got a new job......... in Charleston.... starts in a few weeks......... so I guess its unlikely I'll be visiting Columbia anytime soon. Darn shame.... as I was wanting to check out Del Taco :oops:. On the bright side.... at least it gives me a reason to check out Charleston... I havent been since I was maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom