OT - South Carolina | The Boneyard

OT - South Carolina

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
is that a nice place to visit for a vacation, tourist destination? Things to do? Places to stay? #transportation.

Charleston!

Reaction Score
Charleston is one of the top destinations in the country. Just be aware that mid-summer humidity can be brutal. If you have the time, Savannah is 2 hours south and Myrtle Beach is 2 hours north. For flights, check Spirit into MYR if they fly from where you are. It's often quite cheap even with their famous add-ons.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Visit in October. Or maybe late September after the humidity breaks.

The humidity this time of year is downright oppressive if you’re not used to it. In SC, 90 degrees in summer is actually 105... and midday when is saying it’s 95-98.. the air temp is actually pushing 110-115.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Charleston is one of the top destinations in the country. Just be aware that mid-summer humidity can be brutal. If you have the time, Savannah is 2 hours south and Myrtle Beach is 2 hours north. For flights, check Spirit into MYR if they fly from where you are. It's often quite cheap even with their famous add-ons.
One other alternative if you go in summer. While Charleston and Savannah are among top cities to visit, Hilton Head may be in the mix. One of best beaches in US with great seafood. Place to cool off from the heat and humidity with 45 minute day trips available to Savannah; about 90 minutes to Charleston. Allegient Air has some low cost fares to Savannah. For those from NE, keep in mind many of the SC residents leave this time of year and go in your direction to avoid the heat.

Reaction Score
I've got lot's of relatives in the Charleston area.............great city to visit...............awesome sights, restaurants (Halls, Charleston Grill, Magnolias) bars (Gin Joint, Proof). etc but as others have already said..................unless you really like to sweat, just not in August............

Reaction Score
who knows....kinda feels just like that right here in New Jersey.....

I will say HUMIDITY is the DEVIL!!! I resided in Dallas and was in Denver a few weeks ago. It was 104 in Dallas with 75% Humidity. Denver was 99 with 15%. I would have dealt with that dry heat allll day long!

Reaction Score
I will say HUMIDITY is the DEVIL!!! I resided in Dallas and was in Denver a few weeks ago. It was 104 in Dallas with 75% Humidity. Denver was 99 with 15%. I would have dealt with that dry heat allll day long!

we may be taking a quick vacation at the end of August to Las Vegas..........should be between 95-105 dry degrees but I'll take that over 85-90 degrees with humidity any day of the week!!!!

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I live here now. Overall, it depends on what you want to do and what you like. The summer heat is more than oppressive. I'd suggest late September or October. Even early November is ok. But I get testy when the temperature is over 80, so if you really like heat, this is the place.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some absolutely great restaurants. Charleston rivals New Orleans easily. High end places like McCready's (from 1778), Poogan's Porch, Hall's, and Husk are terrific. But you'll also love Martha Lou's (absolutely the BEST fried chicken in the world); Cuoco Pazzo if you really like Italian veal; Hominy Grill; great burgers at Poe's; lots of little hole in the wall places that don't get much pub but have great food.

As far as other things to do....golf, golf, and more golf (Wild Dunes, The Ocean Course, come up to my club at RiverTowne). Up through Myrtle there are few golf courses too. Ft. Sumter, the Henley, the Battery if you are a Civil War buff. (Ooops, down here it's called the War of Northern Aggression.) Carriage rides, ghost tours, mansion tours, plantations. And of course, the beach. Good night spots on East Bay Street.

Lemme know if you are looking for something special.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Charleston is a great destination, as is Hilton Head. Savannah, just across the state line, is a fair amount like Charleston. Myrtle Beach is closer by car.

As noted, Charleston is VERY humid, but very charming. The Battery is gorgeous, and Low Country food is delicious.

Reaction Score
Charleston is good any time of year. I do agree if you are going to be tromping around the Peninsula doing the tourist scene that its probably better to wait for the heat and humidity to break.

The weather gets pretty hit or miss as far as temperature as you edge towards November. Last year we were at Edisto Beach at the end of October and it was probably 85-90 and sunny and the ocean was still as warm as a bathtub. In previous years, I can remember going on a Halloween hay ride at Boone Hall (I think?) and nearly freezing. But 70-80 at Thanksgiving or even Christmas isn't that unusual.

As far as eating, it's hard to go wrong if you do a bit of research and avoid the tourist traps...unless you are the type that enjoys that cuisine. I know people that do.

Reaction Score
Charleston is a great destination, as is Hilton Head. Savannah, just across the state line, is a fair amount like Charleston. Myrtle Beach is closer by car.

As noted, Charleston is VERY humid, but very charming. The Battery is gorgeous, and Low Country food is delicious.

I can see planning a week in Myrtle Beach and making day trip or weekend out of Charleston. Myrtle Beach has a vast amount of golf and plenty of kid's attractions and plenty of things aimed at separating tourists from their money. It can be super fun, though it's not largely sprawl now and the crowds and traffic can be a real headache.

If you want to be Myrtle Beach adjacent, I really like Litchfield/Pawley's Island as a base of operations on the South end. That puts you a decent drive away from the tourist center, but much closer to Georgetown/Charleston and your crowds diminish significantly. Plus, there are some really solid restaurants down that way.

I can't really see a reason to make Myrtle Beach a day trip from Charleston unless you have a tee time up there.

I have spent nice weekends in Beaufort, Hilton Head and Savannah. We do a week at Edisto Beach nearly every year. All of them could accommodate day trips to Charleston, though Hilton Head and Savannah to me are stretching the concept.

Other places in SC that might support a weekend or more?

Greenville is almost worth a special trip these days. They have carefully developed their downtown into something that's a pretty fun weekend destination that is also within striking distance of the mountains.

I live in Columbia now and while it doesn't strike me as much of a tourist destination it could support a weekend pretty easily.

Reaction Score
I can see planning a week in Myrtle Beach and making day trip or weekend out of Charleston. Myrtle Beach has a vast amount of golf and plenty of kid's attractions and plenty of things aimed at separating tourists from their money. It can be super fun, though it's not largely sprawl now and the crowds and traffic can be a real headache.

If you want to be Myrtle Beach adjacent, I really like Litchfield/Pawley's Island as a base of operations on the South end. That puts you a decent drive away from the tourist center, but much closer to Georgetown/Charleston and your crowds diminish significantly. Plus, there are some really solid restaurants down that way.

I can't really see a reason to make Myrtle Beach a day trip from Charleston unless you have a tee time up there.

I have spent nice weekends in Beaufort, Hilton Head and Savannah. We do a week at Edisto Beach nearly every year. All of them could accommodate day trips to Charleston, though Hilton Head and Savannah to me are stretching the concept.

Other places in SC that might support a weekend or more?

Greenville is almost worth a special trip these days. They have carefully developed their downtown into something that's a pretty fun weekend destination that is also within striking distance of the mountains.

I live in Columbia now and while it doesn't strike me as much of a tourist destination it could support a few days pretty easily.

I'm also partial to Aiken, though you probably would want to have a reason to be there. Master's week perhaps? 20-30 minute drive to Augusta.

Lake Jocasse in the mountains. Lake Santee.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I lived there for 8 years. We still go back for a visit every couple of years. IMO Geordi's post is on the money. Charleston is great for history and first rate restaurants. Edisto and Isle of Palms are other places to visit along with the restored historic plantations just outside of Charleston. There are probably a couple dozen fine golf courses within an hours drive.

Just me, but I stay away from Myrtle Beach (yuck). Huntington Beach just to the south is nice though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Charleston is pretty, like a little flower. Savannah though is elegant, with so much southern charm and open friendliness.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I live in Columbia now and while it doesn't strike me as much of a tourist destination it could support a weekend pretty easily.

If they think Charleston is hot they are REALLY going to roast in Columbia.

Columbia is usually 5-10 degrees warmer than Charleston and even more humid during the warm months and 5-10 degrees cooler during the colder months.

Best to avoid Cola unless it’s for an SC game haha..

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As a native charlestonian... we view Savannah as the cute little sister that tries to compete with big sister.
Sounds about right. It also sounds like what Savannahians would say about Charleston. Me, they're both gorgeous. But folks, don't kid yourselves. It get to bakin' bacon in Savannah too.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Columbia is usually 5-10 degrees warmer than Charleston and even more humid during the warm months and 5-10 degrees cooler during the colder months.

Believe it or not, climate statistics will tell you that Charleston's average afternoon humidity is higher than Columbia during the summer. The average July high temperature is 2 degrees warmer in Columbia and the average July low is 1 degree higher in Charleston. Forgive me, statistics are a major part of my job.

Climate South Carolina - temperature, rainfall and average

Humidity:

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ccd-data/relhum15.dat

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, climate statistics will tell you that Charleston's average afternoon humidity is higher than Columbia during the summer. The average July high temperature is 2 degrees warmer in Columbia and the average July low is 1 degree higher in Charleston. Forgive me, statistics are a major part of my job.

Climate South Carolina - temperature, rainfall and average

Humidity:

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ccd-data/relhum15.dat

Really? I took summer session classes at South Carolina after my freshmen and junior years and those summers spent in Columbia felt like hell on earth. Felt like nothing I'd ever experienced back home in Charleston. Just brutal heat at sun up, afternoon thunderstorms from noon to 2pm, and then brutal heat and stifling humidity all day after, with some relief from direct sun at night but it still felt really hot because the humidity never left. Felt like I was living in the Amazon.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would advise any northerner to wait til October to visit anywhere in the South, unless it's the mountains of NC or VA. There is a reason why a ton of Outdoor festivals down here are held in October.

Really? I took summer session classes at South Carolina after my freshmen and junior years and those summers spent in Columbia felt like hell on earth. Felt like nothing I'd ever experienced back home in Charleston. Just brutal heat at sun up, afternoon thunderstorms from noon to 2pm, and then brutal heat and stifling humidity all day after, with some relief from direct sun at night but it still felt really hot because the humidity never left. Felt like I was living in the Amazon.

Sounds like Houston

Reaction Score

I totally agree. Not sure why you'd ever intentionally come here otherwise. But if you had to, it might support a couple of days. Had in-laws visit and drew a blank after two days as to what they could do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom