OT, sorta: Ugly high school game fouls | The Boneyard

OT, sorta: Ugly high school game fouls

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, the refs messed up the calls but it's the coach's fault his players were going for the opponents' bodies and not the ball.

Basketbrawl video goes viral

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
When I started watching I thought this was just another video posted by a biased fan. Fouls #1 and #2 were obvious fouls but I wouldn't consider them flagrant. In both cases I thought it was reasonable to think the offenders were going for the ball.
Foul #3 had me on the fence. However, fouls 4,5,6 should have resulted not only in flagrant foul calls but the thugs involved should have been ejected. #34 looked like a no talent neanderthal just standing around looking for somebody to hurt. I used to think that one of the most important jobs for a HS coach was to teach sportsmanship. Apparently that isn't the case. Great coaching job there.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Worst part of the flagrancy was the smiling and smirking of the face of 34 after some of the fouls. Officials completely missed their responsibility of insuring the safety of the players.

Reaction Score
To me only 5 was flagrant, 4 was intentional and cheap, 6 he was fouled by all 3 players but not flagrant. 1,2,3 were hard fouls.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Worst part of the flagrancy was the smiling and smirking of the face of 34 after some of the fouls. Officials completely missed their responsibility of insuring the safety of the players.

Yep. Reminded me of a game my brother once coached (HS girls) about 15 years ago. I was at the game and his girls (including my niece) were getting mauled by the other team and knocked down on every other possession. There were no fouls called, let alone flagrant fouls. At one point my brother pleaded with the referees to forget calling fouls and just save his girls' lives. He received a technical. We were able to laugh afterward as his girls escaped without serious injury.

As to this video, if I were the parent of a kid on the visiting team I think I might've been out there on the court trying to stop the assault.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yep. Reminded me of a game my brother once coached (HS girls) about 15 years ago. I was at the game and his girls (including my niece) were getting mauled by the other team and knocked down on every other possession. There were no fouls called, let alone flagrant fouls. At one point my brother pleaded with the referees to forget calling fouls and just save his girls' lives. He received a technical. We were able to laugh afterward as his girls escaped without serious injury.

As to this video, if I were the parent of a kid on the visiting team I think I might've been out there on the court trying to stop the assault.[/quote]

A parent that steps onto the court is an idiot and should be arrested. It's up to the coaches and the refs to control the game.
If your brother was so concerned about the safety of his players he should have pulled them off the court and taken the forfeit. That might have given him some leverage against the officiating.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
To me only 5 was flagrant, 4 was intentional and cheap, 6 he was fouled by all 3 players but not flagrant. 1,2,3 were hard fouls.
the problem with judging some of the "borderline" fouls as flagrant v. hard is, in order to achieve such a dramatic change in direction in the "foul-ee", a great deal of force is necessary. In short, you really have to swing your arm hard, or pull down hard, in order to get what we see in the video. To me, that clearly crosses the line between a "hard" foul, and a "flagrant" foul. You can go for the ball on a hard foul, and create some displacement, but, given the amount of displacement (and, remember, we're not talking small guys with no momentum that are being moved so violently), the fouls are flagrant. And, Cusefan, if you're listening, they're playing like a bunch of thugs!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A parent that steps onto the court is an idiot and should be arrested. It's up to the coaches and the refs to control the game. If your brother was so concerned about the safety of his players he should have pulled them off the court and taken the forfeit. That might have given him some leverage against the officiating.

I wasn't really serious about the parent on the court thing, okay? And my brother was engaging in some hyperbole and the funny part was that a foul was finally called...on him. This is a post I surely regret.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, the refs messed up the calls but it's the coach's fault his players were going for the opponents' bodies and not the ball.

What amazes me most about the video is the attitude of the red team. No one gets in the jerk's face or comes to the defense of the clothslined player in #5 with any emotion. They don't even seem to want to make eye contact with these thugs. Not that I condone brawling, but damn, force the refs hand by confronting the b*st*rds!! If the red team had any intensity, they'd have to throw SOMEONE out after #5 for sure. God, was #34 packing heat? Has he killed before?

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

This has got to be a joke.. The first 3 fouls are hard fouls, yes, but not flagrant at all.. The 3rd one is an obvious misjudgment of where the player with the ball was going.. Looked like the kid thought he'd shoot it, not that he intentionally wanted to knock him down.. The 4th one, ya that was pretty intentional.. The 5th one, doesn't look like he did that on purpose at all.. The recorder of the youtube video obviously doesn't know what a flagrant foul looks like.. Yes, the refs could have used better judgment, but I can't believe this has gone viral because people think these kids intentionally were looking to hurt the other players

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This has got to be a joke.. The first 3 fouls are hard fouls, yes, but not flagrant at all.. The 3rd one is an obvious misjudgment of where the player with the ball was going.. Looked like the kid thought he'd shoot it, not that he intentionally wanted to knock him down.. The 4th one, ya that was pretty intentional.. The 5th one, doesn't look like he did that on purpose at all.. The recorder of the youtube video obviously doesn't know what a flagrant foul looks like.. Yes, the refs could have used better judgment, but I can't believe this has gone viral because people think these kids intentionally were looking to hurt the other players
I'd agree that this kid looking to hurt players. Given the cheap shots by his teammate, I'd say that they were coached that way. Where was the opposing coach? I'd be off the bench taking a technical before I'd let that happen my players.

Reaction Score

I agree. At least three of these fouls are absolutely intentional. Player #34 makes no attempt to jump for the ball. He raises his arms and brings them crashing down on whatever -- the ball, the opponent's head, arms, shoulder. he then stands there and watches the effects of his handiwork. In at least two cases, opposing players could have been seriously hurt, particularly the one in which 34 clotheslines the player driving toward the basket.

No question in my mind that this is about coaching and nothing else. A coach who is teaching sportsmanship would take 34 and his buddy, the one who does two-handed shoves of opponents, and sit them down until they learned how to play hard but clean. As things stand, these kids have been empowered to play this way and need to be thrown out of a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom