OT...Sorry Amazon Fire Stick | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT...Sorry Amazon Fire Stick

Reaction Score
Which one do you use to transact business, add/drop apps etc? Roku is superior for me on that front.
It may be. I don’t really transact business on either. Just select from prime, netflix, etc then stream programming. I still have cable, so just select input to go back and forth. For “mom” I’m not sure one would be better than the other in my experience.

That said, my wife prefers roku, so that is in the LR and the fire is in the man cave.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Depending on how much programming your mom needs you might be better off getting a quality HD antenna.
I got one for my 80 yr old mom who only watches local news and some basic programming. She receives over 40 channels with all locals and many cable networks on the secondary signals with better picture than any other form of broadcast. You would be very surprised at what stations are available with only the initial cost of the antenna.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Get a good one if you go antenna. My "50 mile" antenna can't get the New Haven channels from S. Windsor.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Get a good one if you go antenna. My "50 mile" antenna can't get the New Haven channels from S. Windsor.

It's all topography. Look up your address on RabbitEars.Info and see what's available. I get NYC channels from Monroe, but that's mostly because i 1) live at elevation and 2) have clear line of sight to the ESB/WTC.

Oh, and the "New Haven channels," assuming you mean WTNH / WCTX, are on VHF, while most current antennas focus on UHF

Reaction Score
Depending on how much programming your mom needs you might be better off getting a quality HD antenna.
I got one for my 80 yr old mom who only watches local news and some basic programming. She receives over 40 channels with all locals and many cable networks on the secondary signals with better picture than any other form of broadcast. You would be very surprised at what stations are available with only the initial cost of the antenna.
Have to lucky enough to live in the flatlands or on top of the biggest hills. I would get zero channels. At our first place (about 3 miles away), I got everything from NY to Boston to Albany to Providence. With rabbit ears.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Oh, and the "New Haven channels," assuming you mean WTNH / WCTX, are on VHF, while most current antennas focus on UHF
WCTX isn't VHF, it's UHF. I get the Springfield channels fine.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
WCTX isn't VHF, it's UHF. I get the Springfield channels fine.

WCTX is on VHF since the repack. They channel share with WTNH on physical channel 10 now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Roku stick for $50 one time charge if your TV isn't compatible. Then $50/mo for Hulu Live TV and get all the live cable channels you used to get plus a few more.

This is the way. (We added Disney+)

You may get a broken device and have difficulty connecting the first time, just return it for a new one. For that reason, but one in person instead of online.

You also get plenty of free Roku streaming channels if yoi don't really care about live TV.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Heres the problem.

when you try cord cutting with senior citizens where they have to jump through hoops and streaming platforms and inputs to watch what they want to watch instead picking up a cable remote theyve been used to for 40 years, it rarely turns out pretty.

Even though Im sure Doves mom is much smarter than Dove, it still is fraught with problems.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thinking of switching from comcast to youtube tv. I know they have most of the channels UConn will be on(CBS Sports, FS1) but do they have FS2? Do you have an option to add it? Is Apple TV comparable?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our household has a new TV and a 9 year old TV. The CR Best Buy Samsung crapped out after just 4 years. I bought a Roku soundbar for the old Sony and it's like a new TV. Sounds a million times better and the Roku interface is a breeze. I've rarely been happier with a new product. It's made a small but real differnce in my quality of life during COVID.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So, like, this just arrived?

#giggetygiggetygoo

Attachments

• Box Resize.jpg
    Box Resize.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online