OT...Sorry Amazon Fire Stick | The Boneyard

OT...Sorry Amazon Fire Stick

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I have to get moms off cable and the $190/month. She isn't rich.

I am focused on getting the Amazon Fire Stick (via BY access portal). I get she'll be able to see the streaming services when set up but what about channels we all get on cable like NatGeo Wild, or AMC? And what about the local stations like WFSB and WTNH?

Does she need internet access to use it? Or can she just turn on the tube and start watching?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I am focused on getting the Amazon Fire Stick (via BY access portal). I get she'll be able to see the streaming services when set up but what about channels we all get on cable like NatGeo Wild, or AMC? And what about the local stations like WFSB and WTNH?

Does she need internet access to use it? Or can she just turn on the tube and start watching?

Dove, she needs internet. And I bought like 7 of them a few years ago as stocking stuffers for my family. Ended up having an extra one that's been sitting in a cabinet ever since. PM me your address and I'll send it out to you for Mom.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
A72C0062-E837-4427-AC55-0A7EF6A9146B.jpeg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

She will definitely need internet access. It should be fast enough to support streaming live TV; I'll let the experts advise to there, but when I had Frontier 90 MBPS internet it would lag and freeze on me from time to time. Since I switched to Comcast 250 MBPS, I haven't had any lagging or freezing issues.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dove, she needs internet. And I bought like 7 of them a few years ago as stocking stuffers for my family. Ended up having an extra one that's been sitting in a cabinet ever since. PM me your address and I'll send it out to you for Mom.
You would do this for a guy like me?!?! And a woman like my moms?!?

There is a place in my Top 5 Fave Yarders, 'lurker!! I think you will bump @mauconnfan

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
She will definitely need internet access. It should be fast enough to support streaming live TV; I'll let the experts advise to there, but when I had Frontier 90 MBPS internet it would lag and freeze on me from time to time. Since I switched to Comcast 250 MBPS, I haven't had any lagging or freezing issues.
Okay, so she'll still need Comcast for the internet. At least we can ditch the excessive cable cost and the box.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I've got a 10:30 tee time but send me the address and it will go out Monday. It's got the voice control remote which my parents seem to appreciate.

Reaction Score
The fire stick is great, especially the talk button. Easier than clicking through apps.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You are going to have to choose an streaming service like YouTubeTV or Sling for the cable channels. They all have different menus so it will take some research to make sure you get what you need. For instance, YouTubeTV has the local network channels but others are missing ABC.

Reaction Score
You are going to have to choose an streaming service like YouTubeTV or Sling for the cable channels. They all have different menus so it will take some research to make sure you get what you need. For instance, YouTubeTV has the local network channels but others are missing ABC.

Not necessarily.. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get local channels on the LoCast app.

PlutoTV is a great alternative as well. People are too quick to run to YouTubeTV or Sling without trying to rough it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This

You can get an indoor or outdoor antenna for local channels for $75 or less. It's a one-time cost. And then mom is going to need the TV remote to switch between the inputs of your FireStick and OTA signals. Not the hardest process but it is something to consider.

If for whatever reason the antenna can't pick up the signal you'll need a streaming service.

As much as I despise YouTube TV for upping rates again, I get all my local stations on the app along with everything else. To me it is still the best streaming service. You pay $65/mo and can watch in ever room and have unlimited recording space

Reaction Score
Where is your modem located? We have Frontier 90MBPS and the modem is in the basement (not ideal) and we have no problem even upstairs. We have six TV's and three computers, all over the house, only difference is the TV's all have built in Roku's, no Firestick's.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Where is your modem located? We have Frontier 90MBPS and the modem is in the basement (not ideal) and we have no problem even upstairs. We have six TV's and three computers, all over the house, only difference is the TV's all have built in Roku's, no Firestick's.

The modem was in the same room as the TV. Maybe the fire stick was the problem.

Reaction Score
Over the air antenna for locals. Philo TV is cheapest streaming service and offers AMC and the like.

Reaction Score
Slightly related--but what is going to be the best way to see our away games (and probably home games) this season? I just got rid of cable, so I've never had to consider it before. I think we will have games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CBS, CBSSN, Fox, FS1. I'd also like to get NBC Sports Boston and NBA TV for the celtics if possible.

Reaction Score
You can get local channels by using the locast app. It's like $5 a month. Otherwise, get a good antenna with a good line of sight to the broadcast towers. Trees and weather may affect that. Downside is that you won't get dvr. I have the fire recast.

Reaction Score
Don't forget to ask about senior discounts for internet providers

Attachments

• 20200725_155933.jpg
    20200725_155933.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 112

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Fire Stick is too slow and clunky IMO, I'm a Roku honk for life.

We have 4 TCL Roku TVs in the house, can't imagine doing it another way.
Yeah I started out with the Firestick but switched over to Roku a few month ago. I like it much better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah I started out with the Firestick but switched over to Roku a few month ago. I like it much better.
Same here, they also make it a lot easier to turn on and turn off different services.

Reaction Score
Fire Stick is too slow and clunky IMO, I'm a Roku honk for life.

We have 4 TCL Roku TVs in the house, can't imagine doing it another way.
Which tcl series? What differences do you notice? I’ve had a 65” series 6 in mind. A little concerned about sports getting blurry in action. Series 8 would fix that... only $1200 more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom