OT: Son's TV Shows | The Boneyard

OT: Son's TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I can never decide whether or what forum to post these on the BY. I usually opt for the Women's forum because this is usually the friendliest one. But since Icebear forced me into this in the Boo Williams thread, my son has shows currently running or about to run on various cable networks. So, if anyone is interested (even better if you are in the Neilsen system). All times are evenings. The subject matter is diverse.

If you get H2, he has a show that's been on for a few weeks and I think has several half hours left. Sundays at 10, rerun of the last week at 10:30. It's called America's Secret Slang (he hates the acronym, the Network named the series.) Each show gets into how various American slang or idiomatic expressions originated. Last week was about phrases that originated in the Southern regions. So if y'all don't know where the use of "y'all" started and what it really means, I now know something that y'all don't.

On the Weather Channel
“Tornado 360” (Premieres Monday, April 29, at 9 p.m. ET – 30 minutes
Investigates the tornado super cell that formed in late April 2011 above Little
Rock, AR, and continued, as a series of twisters, to tear through Tuscaloosa
and other Alabama towns.

“Deadliest Space Weather: Tornadoes” (Airs Thursday, May 2, at 9 p.m. ET – 30
minutes) On ongoing short series.

Tornadoes are not just a deadly phenomenon on Earth. They roar across the face of the sun
and the depths of the galaxy like twisters on a Kansas prairie.

And on the Military Network (not to be confused with History Military Channel)
Warrior POV starts airing Tuesdays at 10pm on Military Channel on April 30th. Six one hour
episodes.

Don't know if any of you watch History, Discover, Nat Geo much, but he's had a bunch of specials and
series. Among others, Universe, Life After People, the History of the World in Two Hours, Rocket City
Rednecks, Shootouts, some episodes of Modern Marvels, Wild West Technology, 3 segments of Presidents series,
Battle 360, The History of "the Seven Deadly Sins" (an Icebear favorite) and a wonderful documen-
tary called "A Distant Shore" that won him an Emmy. It's about African-American soldiers who took
part in the D-Day invasion. I've mentioned that in some forum or other before. Way more prolific
than those Coen brothers. His best production, my 8 month old grandson.

ETA: Just looked at my post and somehow the spacing was not mine. I hope what I just did fixed it to get rid of double and triple spacing.

Reaction Score
I probably saw a bunch of these. I definitely remember the "Seven Deadly Sins" show and thought it was great.

Is your son the producer of these shows? What exactly does he do?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I probably saw a bunch of these. I definitely remember the "Seven Deadly Sins" show and thought it was great.

Is your son the producer of these shows? What exactly does he do?

He and another guy own the production company. They directly employ anywhere from 40 or so people to as many as 125, plus free lancers, depending on how many and the types of shows he is doing. These days, he is mostly executive and regular producing. He prefers writing and directing, but doesn't have the time to much of either these days except work on rewrites.

His company has a real name for itself in its niche, especially on special effects. His company was one of the first to do 3D production and there is sort of an interesting story there. The last few seasons of his Universe series (my favorite of his series and lasted 8 years) on History moved over to H2, known then as History International. That network had a connection to Sky Network, owned by Rupert Murdoch (not my son's favorite guy). Murdoch wanted the series done in 3 D , which is not a real easy production method. But they did it Murdochs way. I've never seen the 3D version, but the regular special effects were great, so I can only imagine the 3D stuff. Most of his series and shows are available through Amazon.

If anyone is interested, his Emmy Award special, A Distant Shore, is on Amazon. There are a few brief clips on youtube that somebody posted.

Reaction Score
History of the World in Two Hours is one of my favorite shows ever. Not just documentaries, any type. So lucid and informative. I have it one DVR. I watch it every so often. I think I'll do so again this weekend. Thank your son for me...and thank you for your son.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
History of the World in Two Hours is one of my favorite shows ever. Not just documentaries, any type. So lucid and informative. I have it one DVR. I watch it every so often. I think I'll do so again this weekend. Thank your son for me...and thank you for your son.

Thanks. The best thing about him is that he's grounded. Another factoid. Even though he didn't go to UConn, he founded one of the original UConn
sports chat boards. Like 17 years ago or so. Mostly about the men's team back then.

Reaction Score
Thanks. The best thing about him is that he's grounded. Another factoid. Even though he didn't go to UConn, he founded one of the original UConn
sports chat boards. Like 17 years ago or so. Mostly about the men's team back then.

Can't find anything to do with his life, eh? ;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Can't find anything to do with his life, eh? ;)

I spoke with him last night and mentioned your praise. He appreciates it. But, as your second post noted, you can't ever get that kid out of bed.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom