OT-Something to Chew on.... | The Boneyard

OT-Something to Chew on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good list. Interesting. Not sure how Pepe's & Sally's can be six spots apart. Both are better than anything you'll get anywhere else. Nice to see Modern at #11, too.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Guess who isn't on that list? (well technically they are, but for the purpose of this post they aren't)

Massachusetts. What an awful f*ucking state to get a piece of pizza in.

Reaction Score
Guess who isn't on that list? (well technically they are, but for the purpose of this post they aren't)

Massachusetts. What an awful f*ucking state to get a piece of pizza in.
I'll agree with that. I drive over an hour sometimes to go to Pepe's in Manchester (which isn't nearly as good as the New Haven one) rather than eat the pizza around here. Even my kids ask me why they can't make pizza around here like they do in Connecticut. It's not like there aren't a lot of good Italian restaurants and people of Italian descent around here. Can it be that hard to make a good pizza?

Reaction Score
My favorite: #40 Ginos East, Chicago
Pepes and Sallys are overated IMO but that is just personal taste.

Reaction Score
I'll agree with that. I drive over an hour sometimes to go to Pepe's in Manchester (which isn't nearly as good as the New Haven one) rather than eat the pizza around here. Even my kids ask me why they can't make pizza around here like they do in Connecticut. It's not like there aren't a lot of good Italian restaurants and people of Italian descent around here. Can it be that hard to make a good pizza?

I always ask this question: apparently, it's hard. But one of the big reasons it is difficult is that many people have never eaten good pizza.

Reaction Score
Living in AZ its tough to find decent thin crust pizza.
I think of Chicago style as a seperate genre and a decent diversion.
Kind of like metidone to a Heroin addict. Its not the same thing.
We were in Ct In May-June. Aug-Sept
we went to Pepes in Danbury 5 times and New Haven once.
Side trip to Libbys
Its a trip from Woodbury to New Haven but were else can you get Foxen white birch soda.
For a lot of people that never had good pizza its the
Crust., sauce and quality of cheeses cooked rapidly at high temps in a brick oven that separate the excellent from the mediocre. Many people can't distinguish between a jar sauce and a made from scratch or top quality cheese from any old brand. For those people who can't, than a Pepes Pizza might just as well be a frozen brand. But for those of us that can, enjoyment is taken to a higher level. A trip to Pepes is a pilgrimage.
I have an old High School buddy that lives in San Diago.
He has searched for good pizza tor 30 years. The closest he got was a guy that advertises New Haven style pizza.
We also have a Grimalidi of Brooklyn branch brick oven style which isn't bad.
It certainly isn't Pepes.

Reaction Score
My favorite: #40 Ginos East, Chicago
Pepes and Sallys are overated IMO but that is just personal taste.

Sacrilege! You could say that Pepe's or Sally's is the best pizza on the planet, and you're still underrating It. There are other planets, after all.

Perhaps this "personal taste" thing you speak of could hold up in a court of law. But first you would have to prove personhood.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
A friend of ours had traveled to Germany & a German couple asked where he was from. He replied, "A small town in Connecticut, I'm sure you never heard of." They pressed him for an answer & he reluctantly told them "Willington". "Willington Pizza!", they exclaimed. Kinda surprised that wasn't on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom