OT. Some legendary performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Russ NC Rings.jpg
Russ with all his NBA hardware.

Paul Pierce of the Celtics had a great game the other night (36 points in 44 minutes) and it stimulated the Boston Globe to reach into the archives to remind us of some past great (yes, legendary) perfomances by Celtics named Allen, Rondo, Bird, Cowens, etc. Go to The Globe for a complete list, but let me mention a few.

I was actually at a Game 6 NBA Finals, Boston vs. Milwaukee (when they had both Kareem and Oscar Robertson). Havlicek hit a shot to tie it and send it to OT, then hit another to tie it at the end of the 1st OT period. Though he scored 9 in the second OT, Kareem hit a sky hook from 'way out to win it.

The Celtics roared back in Game 7 in Milwaukee. Dave Cowens (6'9") went head-to-head with Kareem (7'2") and scored 28 points, snagged 14 rebounds, and the Celtics were champs again.

Another highlight was a Finals game in which Bob Cousy scored 50 points. It took him 4 OT's to do it. Cooz made only 10 field goals but went 30-32 from the free throw line.

There was a stretch (early '60's) when Bill Russell went 15 consecutive Finals games (NBA championship series games only) and snared at least 20 rebounds in every single game.

Put down Havlicek for a 54-point playoff game. Heinsohn for 27 in a Game 7 championship game.

But the prize (overwhelming choice by fan vote, including mine) was the Game 7 NBA championship game the Celtics won in OT, 110-107. He scored 30 and grabbed 40 rebounds, 19 of them in the 4th quarter.

Makes me think of Bird at the Buzzer, Diana, Maya, Rebecca et al.

Reaction Score
Magic Johnson's 42 point 15 rebound performance in Game 6 of the NBA Championship Series in 1980 ranks high on my list. Kareem Abdul Jabbar did not even make the trip to Philadephia becasue of a severe ankle injury. Magic, a guard, started at center and did prqactically everything in that game.

Many old time basketball fans remember Willis Reed's heroic performance in Game 7 of the NBA Finals in 1970. What I remember is the Knick performance against the Lakers in Game 5 of that series at the Garden when Reed went down. The undersized tandem of Dave Stallworth and Phil Jackson heroically battled Wilt and, in so doing, maintained the home court advantage.

On the gridiron, Kellen Winslow's playoff performance in that overtime game against Miami in 1982 stands out. That might have been the same game in which Miami successfully executed the hook and lateral at the end of the first half.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Many old time basketball fans remember Willis Reed's heroic performance in Game 7 of the NBA Finals in 1970.

That was the game in which Willis Reed, in great pain and with extraordinary courage, took the court and excited the crowd by actually tossing in a couple of baskets. But while that stirred everyone up and became etched in many memories, that was pretty much it for the night for Willis.

Clyde Frazier took that game over, a fact often forgotten. Playing one of the greatest games ever, he scored 36 points and rang up 19 assists. Unforgettable, yet often forgotten.

Reaction Score
Frazier's points and dominance are clearly remembered. I had no idea he also had 19 assists. It was the Knicks night. The Knicks year for that much.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Magic Johnson's 42 point 15 rebound performance in Game 6 of the NBA Championship Series in 1980 ranks high on my list. Kareem Abdul Jabbar did not even make the trip to Philadephia becasue of a severe ankle injury. Magic, a guard, started at center and did prqactically everything in that game.

Many old time basketball fans remember Willis Reed's heroic performance in Game 7 of the NBA Finals in 1970. What I remember is the Knick performance against the Lakers in Game 5 of that series at the Garden when Reed went down. The undersized tandem of Dave Stallworth and Phil Jackson heroically battled Wilt and, in so doing, maintained the home court advantage.

On the gridiron, Kellen Winslow's playoff performance in that overtime game against Miami in 1982 stands out. That might have been the same game in which Miami successfully executed the hook and lateral at the end of the first half.
Magic even borrowed the skyhook
images

Reaction Score
For the sake of accuracy, Magic is dealing that skyhook over McHale and Parrish in the picture. Rewinding a few years and changing the defenders to Caldwell Jones, Julius Erving, Darryl Dawkins, and Doug Collins would present an accurate depiction of the 1980 championship series.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
For the sake of accuracy, Magic is dealing that skyhook over McHale and Parrish in the picture. Rewinding a few years and changing the defenders to Caldwell Jones, Julius Erving, Darryl Dawkins, and Doug Collins would present an accurate depiction of the 1980 championship series.
Caldwell Jones... geesh the memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99