OT: Solar powered cell phone chargers | The Boneyard

OT: Solar powered cell phone chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm looking at investing in a decent solar-powered cell phone charger. I'm thinking no more than $100.

Golf GPS apps have become good enough to make stand alone golf GPS devices obsolete. Problem is that a 4-5 hr round of golf hammers the battery life.

All I need is something that can slow the rate of charge. I don't want to spend too much - just in case there's an on course accident. If the charger can help charge a phone or ipod while I'm on a boat in the summer, even better.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What about just an external battery pack with a USB port? Or one of those Mophie Juice cases? Just throwing it out there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yep, get a Mophie or a Lenmar or whatever. (I don't recommend it or not recommend it, but I have a Lenmar battery case - it essentially doubles the life of my iPhone battery. I rarely have to use it, but when I do, it works. (Rumor has it that they are not terribly durable.))

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. Off to Amazon to search.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've used the solar while camping and had nothing else. In full sunlight it would take a few hours to charge up my iPhone 4. It would maintain the charge if I wasn't using it heavily. It's good if you don't expect the world... but it wouldn't work for what you're talking about. The external battery is definitely the way to go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I went basic to start. $30 Anker mini charger. 6000mAh, 2A output. One USB and one of the smaller USB ports. I have a Motorola and the wife has Samsung.

Should work for both. Or so I hope. I bought one for her a a stocking stuffer. Also, it's to keep her from borrowing mine.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I had a mophie for 18 months for my iPhone 4… while it more than doubled the phone weight, it did pretty well as a case. The charging port did gets beating and the trim broke… but otherwise did very well.

It ended up dying in a splashdown, taking one for the team… my phone survived but the mophie never took and held a charge after the swim.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
If you're looking for a quality charger (built to stand the rigors of African village life), or other solar items, check out Burro. They're a social/commercial enterprise started by the guy who invented the game Cranium. Their stuff is field tested far beyond what you will find on amazon. The light/phone charger is about $45. The prices on the website are in Ghana cedi and the rate is about 2.15 ghc = $1

http://www.burrobrand.biz/

Reaction Score
I went basic to start. $30 Anker mini charger. 6000mAh, 2A output. One USB and one of the smaller USB ports. I have a Motorola and the wife has Samsung.

Should work for both. Or so I hope. I bought one for her a a stocking stuffer. Also, it's to keep her from borrowing mine.

I second an Anker. I travel 3 weeks a month and not having to search around in airports for a place to plug in my phone, ipad, Bluetooth headsets, etc is so nice. I have the 8400 which lets you plug in 2 devices. Bought it on amazon for $39

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom