OT - Solar Panels | The Boneyard

OT - Solar Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Since we have about 2 months before the season starts and we're slamming the board with OT stuff, I thought this would be a good time to post. If we can get through this without comparing solar to pizza or figuring out who might be a solar insider, that would be great.

Thinking about putting solar on my house. I have an awesome southwest facing roof that has a ton of area and will never be shaded by trees or chimneys. I figure about 12' x 60' so I think I could easily get 36 standard panels no problem and in Southern California, I get tons of days per year with sun. If my math is correct, 10kW sounds doable.

I have no interest in leasing or renting - I'll buy them and own them. A friend did his house and recommended Sunpower panels. It seems they are 21% efficient which is far higher than the industry standard.

Does anyone have experience and advice about doing this? What about batteries to carry the load on cloudy days and overnight?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think about this from time to time as I have a decent sized south facing roof.

Telsa's powerwall got a lot of press. It didn't seem cost effective to me.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

Good luck with this. Post what you find out.

Reaction Score
Since we have about 2 months before the season starts and we're slamming the board with OT stuff, I thought this would be a good time to post. If we can get through this without comparing solar to pizza or figuring out who might be a solar insider, that would be great.

Thinking about putting solar on my house. I have an awesome southwest facing roof that has a ton of area and will never be shaded by trees or chimneys. I figure about 12' x 60' so I think I could easily get 36 standard panels no problem and in Southern California, I get tons of days per year with sun. If my math is correct, 10kW sounds doable.

I have no interest in leasing or renting - I'll buy them and own them. A friend did his house and recommended Sunpower panels. It seems they are 21% efficient which is far higher than the industry standard.

Does anyone have experience and advice about doing this? What about batteries to carry the load on cloudy days and overnight?

The sun is a fad. I wouldn't waste your time

Reaction Score
I would put a cauldron of tar sand oil in your basement and lite it on fire.

Reaction Score
Solar is very inefficient still and companies are making huge money by making empty promises and locking people into 20 year contracts.

Reaction Score
And that 21% is maximum efficiency new. Kind of like the BS gas milage shown for new cars. And solar panels start losing efficiency relatively quickly. Unless you are getting it heavily subsidized, I wouldn't bother.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Solar is very inefficient still and companies are making huge money by making empty promises and locking people into 20 year contracts.
And that 21% is maximum efficiency new. Kind of like the BS gas milage shown for new cars. And solar panels start losing efficiency relatively quickly. Unless you are getting it heavily subsidized, I wouldn't bother.

You guys have any personal experience to share?

First thing you have to consider is which side of the house is south-facing. I personally think panels are cool, but not too attractive (especially on a lighter colored roof). We were lucky and are able to put panels are on the back southeast facing slope. The house is on hill compared to my backyard and they aren't really noticeable unless we're down by the tree line, about 75-100 feet behind my house. They are not visible from any part of a public street.

Secondly, How old is your roof? I doesn't make sense to put up panels if they have to be uninstalled/reinstalled for a new roof.

Third, put it out of your mind that you will offset your entire electricity bill. You may come out ahead in certain months, but companies are barred by law from "design" a system to offset your average yearly energy consumption 100%. Also there are certain fixed service charges regardless of how much grid energy you use. Connecticut has the 2nd highest energy costs in the lower 48 states. So depending on the system, cost, and your sun exposure, it might be worth it.

Finally , energy storage is not yet commercially offered because the technology is not cost-effective. In addition, you would have to build an addition garage bay to store the batteries. Also, you still produce energy on cloudy days, just not as much as sunny days. They install a net meter next to your existing meter. You generate energy during the day and whatever is not used by the house is forced out to the grid. At nightfall, your system turns itself off and you consume from the grid as you do now.

I have a southwest facing back roof with a minimum of 95% exposure (no tall trees) and we bought a system with 19 panels. It was installed over Veterans' Day and the following weekend, and went online at the beginning of December 2014. December is the shortest month of the year, in terms of daylight hours , and we still saved $50 over 12/2013. In January (you may remember the 90 inches of snow), the savings increased to $85 from the previous year. Come April, May and June, We produced more energy than we used, banked about $300, and only paid the $19.25 fixed service charge. I expect similar savings coming up in the Fall as well, but the pool pump burns up a lot of energy during the summer. We still cut about 85% off our CL&P (Eversource) bill this past July and August (hottest months of the hottest year on record). Put another way, our highest electricity bill since the install was $104 (July 2015). Our lowest bill during the 2 years prior was $107.56 (April 2013).

It's a pretty penny, no doubt, but cost is also offset by a 30% federal tax credit (which can be carried forward) and a state rebate (which is shrinking). In addition the company that sold us our panels offered discounts on installation and a sign on bonus. Considering estimated savings on electricity, credits, rebates and discounts, We are actually expecting to come out ahead over the life of the loan. If you rent, you may get locked into a contract and the Company takes all the discounts, credits, and rebates. If you buy, the panels are yours (covered by a 25 year warrantee) and the only contract is a loan.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We just got solar panels. Should be up and running this week. I believe we're leasing them for under $100 a month. No matter what happens to them they will fix them no charge and even if the roof leaks where the screws are. The electrical company alread cut our bill in half. And whatever we put back into the grid we get a credit. Whatever we need from the grid we pay.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We just got solar panels. Should be up and running this week. I believe we're leasing them for under $100 a month. No matter what happens to them they will fix them no charge and even if the roof leaks where the screws are. The electrical company alread cut our bill in half. And whatever we put back into the grid we get a credit. Whatever we need from the grid we pay.
If you add your lease payment to your electric bill, what is your savings and ROI? We figured our break even point is about 7 years. I'm interested to see what it is if we had leased.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We just considered them and decided against. The incentive right now the the tax credit which is gone after this year. My neighbors installed last year and are very happy with them. My main issue is that I'm not so young any more and the break even point is too many years out even with the tax credit to make it worth while for me or my wife who is near my age. Good luck with your decision.

Reaction Score
I've looked into it and will likely pull the trigger at some point. I also live in SoCal. You're right about buying them and not leasing. IIRC the SunPower panels are much more expensive than normal ones, like 30-40% more. I don't think they make sense unless you have a very small roof. I would likely go with a Kyocera type panel.

The real savings occur when you factor in future rate increases which average 5-6% a year where I live. BUT, the utility companies are pushing to add fees and less advantageous net metering programs to offset lost revenue. You need to look all of this up for your area / utility. For me a 20 year loan for the net cost after the tax credit basically locks in the amount of my current average monthly bill as the payment. Kind of like buying a house and locking in a mortgage vs renting and having your rent go up over time.

One of the main reasons I'm waiting is I think panels will continue to become cheaper over time and once the storage part is figured out it's a complete game changer.

As someone else mentioned you want to take the condition of your roof into account as well, I've already replaced mine so all good there. Finally, I've asked around quite a bit about the durability and degradation of the panels and there's tons of testing and research that has been done. You can count on the panels lasting 25 years or more with only slight loss of efficiency (maybe 85% vs 100%).

Last thought is definitely talk to a bunch of different installers and neighbors / referrals who have used them.

Reaction Score

Solar and wind installations are almost a second job for me...really a hobby that began when i installed an first array on my home in South Bay (southern cal), which I did right with permits, net metering, etc... on my own... i had zero electrical experience, but pulled off the entire install myself in 1 weekend, including doing my neighbors home. I can give you scads of advice. I also did a 3rd solar install at my off grid cabin in Big Bear. But, before you do anything it's important to know the basics (grid tie only vs. battery bank offgrid only vs. hybrid). I can help you thru it. I spent years combing thru youtube vids and books trying to figure it all out. In fact, i wound up starting my own Youtube channel to help others do it themslves. Go to my Youtube channel (i have like over 500 subs today) and check out my recent DIY on my "Off-grid Cabin" Install and you'll see step by step for the DIY on installing a system. You can also check out my DIY vids on "Enphase Installation" (all grid tie system) at my home in South Bay. My YT channel is "sunsensational" I notice you're in So Cal. if you are near South Bay comment on my channel and i'll hook you up with where to buy panels at cost (you should be paying .79-1.00 per watt for panels), etc. Last thing to note, because i purchased for my equipment at cost, and did my install myself, my packback period was 1.6 years. Now i literally have free money coming to me each month in savings and no electrical bill (i use to pay $300/mo). Plus, CA will pay you retail rates under the law for the surplus you produce. Glad you're not doing rental or lease...total scam.... Believe me, i'm not a handy man (im a friggin lawyer), yet i figured it out and did 3 successful installs myself, including the electrical. Reach out to me via my youtube channel I'll hook you up with info, etc..

Reaction Score
I've had my solar panels for a year and a half, started with 36 and just added 12 more, they face east and west not south. About 14 kW total. Our summer electric bill with air used to be $350. It's now $19.25. Federal and state tax credits (up to 10 kW) in Ct means the system costs about half of the retail price of the system that I own, not lease. Leasing is good but make sure you get the tax credits figured in so you benefit not the solar company. I re roofed before placing to make sure (my roof was old), there is no leakage. I think the payback will be about 7 years but in any case you are not as much a slave to electric rates as the net meter keeps track and even builds credit toward future monthly use. If you will be in your house for a while, I think it's good both for your bill and your house resale down the road. The panel effectiveness goes down very minimally per year, life is about 20-25 years. No extra town property tax on the system which is good.

Reaction Score
When I did it about a year and a half ago state of Conn had a rebate that the solar company put through about 25% of the cost, that I did not have to upfront. I then paid for the system's balance in full and on the next year's tax return took the 30% federal tax credit on the total system cost. Any roof work or construction done as needed for the panels was also eligible for 30% tax credit. The Conn rebates may have gone down and the fed credit on solar is until 2016 I think. Without all of this help I don't think I would have pulled the trigger. I'm seeing the panels pop up everywhere in the state now, even more than in Az. because our electric rates are so much higher. J&D Solar did my system.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the input. Right now the power company has a .30/watt rebate so I figure around $3000 or so. Plus the 30% on taxes. If I had done it three months ago, the subsidy/rebate would have been more like $7500. Damn! My current bill ranges between $100 and $300/month depending on AC use. I figure if I go solar, I'll change to electric tankless hot water heaters for a little added value.

No issues with the roof. The house was built in 2001 with a 40 year cement/composite roof.

Now to line up some contractors and figure out if I'm going to do this or not.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My roof needs to be replaced, and I was thinking about going solar at the same time. My greatest concern is the cost for solar and the payoff time. My electric bills average <$30/month, and I'm not sure it would make sense financially to go solar.

With that said, I'm told excess electricity is sold back to WMECO, so maybe it would be cost effective.

What other factors need to be considered? If I had excess power, would it make sense to go to electric heat and hot water?

Reaction Score
Isn't the base rate $19 a month without usage? So you only run up $11 a month. I bought a heat pump hot water heater that is electric and utilizes heat in your basement efficiently to help heat the water. One thing, it will make your basement colder so if the basement is unfinished it works fine, very cheap to run. Another thing about electric heat, in the winter your solar generation is way down because of the shorter days, so right when you would be heating your house the most with electric, you would be getting minimal generation and high electric bills. Be careful.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Your electric bill is $30 a month or less??? I don't understand. My lowest bills are over $2oo. Oil heat.

I live in Southern CT, anyone know which contractors are decent?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Your electric bill is $30 a month or less??? I don't understand. My lowest bills are over $2oo. Oil heat.

I live in Southern CT, anyone know which contractors are decent?

600 sq ft house, and I live alone.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about solar panels for my business for years. I'm located in a ranch style home with approximately 2500 square feet including about 1000 square feet in a basement. My average monthly electric bill is $900.oo. (I pay business rates.) I've contacted several solar installers but either they are only interested in single family homes or large commercial properties. No one so far is willing to look at a small commercial building. Does anyone know of an installer willing to do a small commercial property?

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about solar panels for my business for years. I'm located in a ranch style home with approximately 2500 square feet including about 1000 square feet in a basement. My average monthly electric bill is $900.oo. (I pay business rates.) I've contacted several solar installers but either they are only interested in single family homes or large commercial properties. No one so far is willing to look at a small commercial building. Does anyone know of an installer willing to do a small commercial property?
Damon Weiss is at JD Solar Solutions and did 3 homes in my neighborhood. I trust them, sent them to my daughter's house to analyze it for solar and they said it would be a waste of time due to sun exposure and shade. It actually surprised me because I get 2 calls a day from solar companies trying to sell me. They analyze your house first from overhead photos google Maps, then if promising will come out to your house to check everything out. They will also tell you if the roof is OK and even though they are not roofers can do minor repairs if not too involved. They do the whole northeast residential and commercial. I have no affiliation. Damon@jdsolarsolutions.com

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If you add your lease payment to your electric bill, what is your savings and ROI? We figured our break even point is about 7 years. I'm interested to see what it is if we had leased.
sorry, just saw this... ill have to get back to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky